Nawlunscreol

Extended Brew

16 posts in this topic

Unfortunately during brewing the wort has been in my keg for about six weeks. Should I throw it out or continue to bottling it? Help!!!

Taste it's? I don't understand. What's it supposed to taste like?  Has anyone ever done this before? How did it turn out? 

You should be tasting every beer you make before bottling.  It should taste, as Dale noted, like uncarbonated beer.  If it does, bottle it up.

Since it sat for 6 weeks on the yeast cake, which is too long, it MAY have off flavors.  It may also have developed an infection.  Or, it may be fine.  So taste it.

Going forward, understand that brewing beer is following a process.  You need to schedule time to do each step in the process.  While a day or two here and there is usually a non-issue, you went twice as long as recommended.  Review the posts in my signature, and read the forum.  Likely you'll learn the process and follow it going forward.  However, for some, this hobby isn't for them.  Has a very high dropout rate.  Like very, very high.  Stay with it!

dale hihn and hotrod3539 like this

1 hour ago, Nawlunscreol said:

Thanks. I think I'll scrap it and start over. 

There really isn't any reason to scrap it.  Bottle it up and see what happens in 3 to 6 weeks. Even if it turns out the beer sucks, at the very least,  you will get to go through the bottling process and gain valuable experience.

And I would not count this beer out yet. No one is going to argue that 6 weeks is not ideal. Don't do that next time. But you do have leeway, beer has survived worse things, and it might turn out just fine. 

dale hihn, hotrod3539 and MiniYoda like this

What these guys said...taste it and if it doesn't taste like the cat's asshole, bottle it.  The worst that can happen is you get a "meh" beer that's only good for boiling brats in or making beer chili.  And seeing that beer brats and beer chili are awesome, you win no matter what. :)

25 minutes ago, Shrike said:

What these guys said...taste it and if it doesn't taste like the cat's asshole, bottle it.  The worst that can happen is you get a "meh" beer that's only good for boiling brats in or making beer chili.  And seeing that beer brats and beer chili are awesome, you win no matter what. :)

And if it does taste like the rear end of a dirty cat.....bottle it anyways!

I have a beer, The Brown Belgian Beast....when I tasted it at bottling it my first thought was "this tastes like rotten meat." I bottled it anyways because that is what you do. You bottle beer.

Then my first sampling, at like 6 or 8 weeks I tasted and thought "Meh. This one sucks."

I just had one last weekend again and guess what? It is now a perfectly drinkable, enjoyable, strong brown belgian ale. Not my greatest beer, but certainly a far cry from the original rotten meat taste.

Just roll with it. Bottle. While you are waiting brew another. 

hotrod3539 and Shrike like this

I will echo previous posts... only time you never bottle it is when there is a catastrophic shelf failure and it dumps all over your basement floor..... or it is so infected it looks like green slime (and even then not bottling it may be a sin... not sure...lol) I have learned... always pull a small sample, taste, and then bottle. conditioning does wonders for your beer.

Thanks to all. I did dump it after tasting it. It was my first time with a dark beer. Diabo I think. With a booster. I've done a few brews not many and did not know what a dark brew should've tasted like. It's a good thing there was a lot of sediment in the bottom of the keg. I've got an amber Witches Brew with booster I'm eager to start. I have been very conscientious about time in my brewing but circumstances caused time to go wild on me. 

11 hours ago, Nawlunscreol said:

Thanks to all. I did dump it after tasting it. It was my first time with a dark beer. Diabo I think. With a booster. I've done a few brews not many and did not know what a dark brew should've tasted like. It's a good thing there was a lot of sediment in the bottom of the keg. I've got an amber Witches Brew with booster I'm eager to start. I have been very conscientious about time in my brewing but circumstances caused time to go wild on me. 

First of all, you need to surrender your "man card" since dumping beer is a direct violation of any card carrying member.:lol:

OK, now to get serious.  You mention a lot of sediment on the bottom of the keg, THAT IS TRUB, and it is a product of a good fermentation.  It is a combination of the dead yeast and proteins and stuff from the beer itself.  You don't let much if any of this get into your bottles but again, it is a good thing to have sediment on the bottom of your keg. 

Shrike and hotrod3539 like this