Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrWhy

Citra Substitute

14 posts in this topic

Hello all!

I was doing some preliminary research on potential recipes (mainly a Sierra Nevada Tropical IPA Clone) and Citra is a big hop in this. (At the same, I've been looking to do another Funky Buddha-esque thing and again, Citra is a big hop in this.)

So my question is this - in the hops available from Mr. B, is there something that can serve as a reasonable stand in for Citra?

I'm not looking for a 1 to 1 match here, just something that is not completely stupid....i.e. DON'T USE GOLDINGS FOR CITRA YOU MORON!!!!

HoppySmile! and D Kristof like this

Unfortunately, Citra has no substitute. You could try Falconers Flight which has some Citra in it. Or you can try using Galaxy or Enigma hops if you can find them, They both have big tropical notes like Citra. But Citra has no subs.

MrWhy, hotrod3539 and kedogn like this

13 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Unfortunately, Citra has no substitute. You could try Falconers Flight which has some Citra in it. Or you can try using Galaxy or Enigma hops if you can find them, They both have big tropical notes like Citra. But Citra has no subs.

Okay....let's get away from the word substitute......how about "reasonable replacement" with the understanding that things will change, they will not be the same, but we will still be in the apples to oranges comparison (both are fruit! both are round!) and not straying into the apples to imaginary numbers world....

There HAS to be a hop or combo that can at the least be interesting in a Citra sense....Mosaic, Simcoe, and Sorachi????

3 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Okay....let's get away from the word substitute......how about "reasonable replacement" with the understanding that things will change, they will not be the same, but we will still be in the apples to oranges comparison (both are fruit! both are round!) and not straying into the apples to imaginary numbers world....

There HAS to be a hop or combo that can at the least be interesting in a Citra sense....Mosaic, Simcoe, and Sorachi????

That is a tough one... Citra is so unique.... and tasty.... if Citra is what you seek may i point you to a company here in ohio that has them in stock and at a reasonable price? $24 for a pound of pellets... ( i have purchased from them several times, product has always been great and shipping time is awesome as well)

https://labelpeelers.com/beer-making/hops/citra-hops/copy-of-citra-hops-pellet-1-lb-1/

HoppySmile! and MrWhy like this

13 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

I'd personally go with Mosaic.

MrWhy and HoppySmile! like this

3 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

I'd personally go with Mosaic.

Perfect!

Mosaic and leave it at that? Or Mosaic and Simcoe in a 3 to 1 ratio???

someone beat me to it... was going to suggest mosaic.  you could do a single hop ipa.. mosaic for bittering/flavor/aroma  ...  3 additions to boil at different times.  then on week 2 toss in more mosaic in a hop sack and dry hop. lol.. mosaic bomb.  or..  do mosaic bittering,  Amarillo for flavor and aroma, and dry hop with mosaic. . . or something.

MrWhy likes this

all 'natural' beer made from grape nuts cereal, grass clippings and bread yeast!   mmmmmm.....  ooo with oatmeal! the beer that drinks like a breakfast.. only BETTER coz its got grass!

hotrod3539 likes this