Mr.Beer Community
EwanRGR

Getting the spigot out of the LBK

Suspect I'm not the first one to run into this, but while I see a few threads saying you really should make sure you remove and clean the spigot and rubber washer, nothing that shows how to easily do so. I may have overtightened a bit as I wanted to make sure there were no leaks. Have gotten it pretty clean, but can't seem to get the nut and the main assembly to let go of each other. Thought about a wrench, but the angle from the top to where the spigot is doesn't seem to make that possible. Or is there a long necked wrench you can use for this? Any tips other than buy another LBK?

40 minutes ago, EwanRGR said:

Suspect I'm not the first one to run into this, but while I see a few threads saying you really should make sure you remove and clean the spigot and rubber washer, nothing that shows how to easily do so. I may have overtightened a bit as I wanted to make sure there were no leaks. Have gotten it pretty clean, but can't seem to get the nut and the main assembly to let go of each other. Thought about a wrench, but the angle from the top to where the spigot is doesn't seem to make that possible. Or is there a long necked wrench you can use for this? Any tips other than buy another LBK?

Had the same problem once.  I suspected that the wort gummed it up and made an almost glue-like adhesive.  What I did was add hot (not boiling, but tap hot) water to the LBK, closed it up, gave it a good shaking, let it sit for 10mins, then PRESTO...  problem solved.  It came off rather easily.  Also, those suckers are pretty durable so don't be afraid to use some force.  Hope this helps.  ?

Truthfully - I have never removed the spigot assembly. I clean the LBK as follows: Fill with a quart or so of water, cover and shake vigorously, repeat until clear. Then I use my hand and paper towel with a squirt of dish washing liquid and scrub the inside. Fill, shake, rinse, repeat. Finally I fill with a little sanitizer liquid, shake, empty, repeat two or three times. Air dry with the opening on the side so no dust or air borne critters get in. Make sure you open the spigot so clean water and sanitizer flow through. YMMV

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Never use a wrench.  Never had this problem, clearly you tightened it way, way too tight.  Follow the directions and it won't be too tight.

On my newer LBK with the black spigot I have to tighten it way, way down in order to keep it from leaking.  My old white-spigot one just needs a nice, snug fit and it seals like a charm.

I'm 8-10 batches into this hobby with 2 LBKs now,  right or wrong I have only removed a spigot one time. I do lots of agitating with a tiny bit of color free and scent free dish soap then repeat with the sanitizer solution. In that process I also run a lot  of hot water and sanitizer through the spigot. If the LBK is going to sit for even a day or two I sanitize it again before the next batch.

Disclaimer : Author accepts no responsibility for what happens to YOUR beer.  ;)

Not removing the spigot is bad sanitation practice.  It should be removed AND disassembled into pieces.  Trub will be find at every bend.  

Note that the LBK should not be cleaned with straigt hot tap water, it can deform the plastic.

I can see not using boiling water in that thin walled LBK.  It should  take a lot more heat than that to actually melt one but yes it could be deformed.

My hot tap, if allowed to run for a couple minutes, hits 135F.  No issues......yet.   Given the distance to my water heater I doubt it hits 135 when I am washing the LBK. 

Both of my LBKs leaked at the spigot when I was gentle about tightening them up.  Got a feeling I need a pack of the rubber gaskets if I were to pull them apart every time.

I tighten until I feel the washers engage then another 1/2 turn on the external spigot. I get it undone by turning the spigot back the other way. The nut inside only needs a little restraint. But then I put washers inside and out usually. 5/8 inch garden hose washers work. I always take the spigot  out and wash it but I don't take it apart.

I would buy  a spare spigot then try to undo the current stuck one by turning the external spigot anticlockwise. If it breaks- you have the spare. I don't think you will break the LBK. It might turn easier if you run ice water over it to shrink it a bit. (maybe)

As noted when Nick has mentioned this before:

- an inside washer is not needed.  I have 8+ fermenters and never had to do that.

- sometimes a rough surface where the washer should seat is the issue.  Light sanding can fix that.

- many garden hose washers would not be food grade and therefore unsafe to use.  

7 hours ago, RickBeer said:

As noted when Nick has mentioned this before:

- an inside washer is not needed.  I have 8+ fermenters and never had to do that.

- sometimes a rough surface where the washer should seat is the issue.  Light sanding can fix that.

- many garden hose washers would not be food grade and therefore unsafe to use.  

Rick - good point on the washer - re food grade. But if outside, maybe not an issue? - since it would have very limited contact with beer if any. I generally use the Mr B washer inside and the garden hose one outside.

On 14/07/2017 at 2:21 PM, AnthonyC said:

Had the same problem once.  I suspected that the wort gummed it up and made an almost glue-like adhesive.  What I did was add hot (not boiling, but tap hot) water to the LBK, closed it up, gave it a good shaking, let it sit for 10mins, then PRESTO...  problem solved.  It came off rather easily.  Also, those suckers are pretty durable so don't be afraid to use some force.  Hope this helps.  ?

Or you can also try cold water as things will shrink when cold..

Another good way to melt the LBK is to lean the pot of boiling wort on it when you fill it. (Oops.) I was able to bend it back to enough of a round shape to get the lid on, more or less, and a ring of masking tape may help tonight's batch of beer to survive.  (Of course, when I was distracted by that, I forgot to put the yeast in, so I had to untape it, pitch the yeast, and retape :-)  

6 hours ago, billstewart said:

Another good way to melt the LBK is to lean the pot of boiling wort on it when you fill it. (Oops.) I was able to bend it back to enough of a round shape to get the lid on, more or less, and a ring of masking tape may help tonight's batch of beer to survive.  (Of course, when I was distracted by that, I forgot to put the yeast in, so I had to untape it, pitch the yeast, and retape :-)  

Yeah, if the thread on the opening of the barrel is damaged, I think you'd be better to get a new barrel. They're really cheap on Kijiji... I got an entire kit with 2 refills for $30... SCORE!