Spoodge

Inkbird 308

6 posts in this topic

I purchased an Inkbird 308 temp controller to help me keep my fermentation temps under control but I could use some help.... I have set the temp to 68* with 1* difference over and under. I'm using a dorm size freezer to put the fermenting bucket in.  The inkbird turns on the compressor when it hits the desired temp And turns it off when it hits the lower temp but the temp continues to drop 3 degrees or more before it stabilizes and starts to rise again. The question is, is there a way to control the lower temps better?? Will putting full 5 gallon bucket of wort help keep it stable. As a note I just set this up and am brewing a Patersbiers now so I haven't tried it yet. Any help or ideas are much appreciated. Feel free to throw any ideas my way crazy or not. 

Sounds like you are testing it on air temp.  That won't work.  The prob needs to be taped to the side of the fermenter, below the liquid level, with a cloth or folded paper towel covering it to insulate it from the air temp.  I folded an old face cloth.

Test it with a plastic glass of water or small plastic container, in the same manner.  

Air temp will get it to overreact.  The liquid drops more slowly.  Also, set a delay of at least 5 minutes for the compressor to not burn out.  

Spoodge, dale hihn and hotrod3539 like this

25 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Also, set a delay of at least 5 minutes for the compressor to not burn out.  

Rick speaks solid truth....... as a man who wroks on AC and refrigeration, I second this in a big way! You would not beleive the number of compressors i have had to change out because they were slamming on and off too fast.....

MRB Tim and Spoodge like this

Yes I've been trying it in an empty freezer. I will follow your advice and tape a washcloth over the prob taped to the side at wort level to try to get better readings.  Probably takes a while to level out right? I'll keep ya posted. Thanks for the help, raising a glass in your honor. 

I keep my probe in a small bottle of water that sits in the fridge.

The temp of the liquid will always keep dropping, about 3 to 4 degrees, after it hits target. It is just the nature of how a refrigerator works because the insulation is good but not perfect. So unless the temp outside is the exact same as your fermenting temp, you cannot maintain it there. It will wave up and down. (And if the temp outside maintained a steady 68 day and night, there would be no need to control it!)

Say you want your beer at 68.

It is warmer than 68 outside so as time goes on the temp inside the fridge will increase. (In addition fermentation is creating heat.) The LBK temp does not follow lock step. Inside fridge gets warm THEN LBK gets warm.  Eventually the fridge gets warm enough to push the LBK temp past your set point. 

That is when the temp control turns the fridge on and now cold air is blasting...blasting...blasting....getting everything nice and cold....but again, the LBK is not following in real time. The fridge gets colder and colder inside the LBK (or water bottle, or whatever) is slowly following along until it hits 68 again and then the temp control shuts it down.

But that fridge is still cold. It is nice and insulated inside so the cold doesn't just flow out. So the LBK keeps getting colder for a bit.

I used to be concerned about it and bought a little seed heater mat to put in the fridge. Just so that it would kick in and warm things up. But then I stopped caring stopped using it.

Beer and yeast can handle some temp variation. Going to 65 for whatever amount of time won't hurt anything.

Well I tape a wash cloth over the probe taped to the side of my fermentetion bucket below the wort line as advised. I gotta tell ya it works beautifully. Temps are holding at 68.1* and the compressor has stopped "slammin" on every 15 min trying to keep up.

I think this will take my beer to the next level.....I would recommend the inkbird to anyone trying to "up their game". Thanks all for helpin me out with the advice ,much appreciated .

C-ya, dale hihn, hotrod3539 and 2 others like this