DEFbrewer

Bewitched Amber Ale with Booster and Pale LME

13 posts in this topic

Iv'e got my first LBK batch going yesterday morning. Kinda of a not so MAD Scientist brew of Bewitched Amber Ale with Booster and Pale LME. I have it temp controlled in a cooler at about 70 degrees. That's with the probe against the LBK below wort line and covered by a face towel. I'll brew by the 3-4 rule (guideline). Any helpful suggestions on conditioning would be helpful.

DEF

Kevin Caffrey likes this

Congrats on your first brew. Best advice is to condition for plenty of time. The flavors really shine after a good month or two (even three!) in the bottle. Cheers!

DEFbrewer likes this

Congrats and welcome to the site / addiction... Sounds like you're well on your way to brewing beer. That Bewitched Amber Ale is one of my favorite Mr. Beer recipes.

DEFbrewer likes this

I would recommend you NOT modify your first batches.  Bewitched is already very good - you just raised it to a 6.X% brew with the combination of LME and booster basically lessening the IBUs.  I would have added just the LME, and only after you brew it as is to see how it tastes.

DEFbrewer likes this

On 7/16/2017 at 3:48 PM, DEFbrewer said:

Iv'e got my first LBK batch going yesterday morning. Kinda of a not so MAD Scientist brew of Bewitched Amber Ale with Booster and Pale LME. I have it temp controlled in a cooler at about 70 degrees. That's with the probe against the LBK below wort line and covered by a face towel. I'll brew by the 3-4 rule (guideline). Any helpful suggestions on conditioning would be helpful.

DEF

Good luck!  Condition for a minimum of 4 weeks for the Bewitched Amber Ale.  From my notes, this was best at around the 6 week mark.  Make sure you try to condition it at between 68 & 76-78 degrees.

If you enjoy this one, Millennium Flight Red will be right up your alley!

Kevin 

DEFbrewer likes this

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I would recommend you NOT modify your first batches.  Bewitched is already very good - you just raised it to a 6.X% brew with the combination of LME and booster basically lessening the IBUs.  I would have added just the LME, and only after you brew it as is to see how it tastes.

Oh and that's Rick Beer, in case you haven't been introduced.  😉

IMG_0355.PNG

4 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Rickbeer, Let me first say, that I respect your knowledge of homebrewing. I've learned so much from reading your posts. I'm sure that I will continue to expand my knowledge of homebrewing by studying your posts. I have one more Bewitched Amber Ale to brew, that one will be a basic brew. I shall take your advice to heart and brew basics recipes from MrBeer for a while. No Batches will be harmed (or thrown down the drain) in the making of this saga.

2 hours ago, Kevin Caffrey said:

Good luck!  Condition for a minimum of 4 weeks for the Bewitched Amber Ale.  From my notes, this was best at around the 6 week mark.  Make sure you try to condition it at between 68 & 76-78 degrees.

If you enjoy this one, Millennium Flight Red will be right up your alley!

Kevin 

6 weeks.....Got it. I'll look up Millennium Flight Red right now! Thanks