EwanRGR

Printable labels?

11 posts in this topic

Have been enjoying the results of my first batch, and have two more coming up. I am trying to space them out a bit, but still expect to have a week or two where I have bottles from more than one type of beer. I was hoping the store here might have some printable labels designed to go on the bottles, but all I see are preprinted ones that all say the same thing. Suppose I could do one lot with labels and one without, but have to think there is a more stylish solution...?

MrWhy likes this

Several brewers here have a strong label game.

The way I do it is the little small circle stickers, put one on the cap with an abbreviation of the beer's name and date it was bottled.

Clearly this gets zero style points, but it is fast, easy, cheap, and I don't have to delabel the bottles.

dale hihn, MRB Tim and EwanRGR like this

40 minutes ago, kedogn said:

When I bottled, in glass, way back when, I just took a sharpie and wrote the name on the cap. Boring, but effective. ?

That's what I do, only I use the batch number (easier to fit on the cap than BAA or something). I'll see a 7 on the cap and just know that's the Bewitched Amber Ale or whatever from my brew log.

P.S. On the other hand, I do wish Mr. Beer sold peel-off, stick-on labels for their most popular extracts. Obviously, it wouldn't be cost-effective to make em for every recipe and variation, but maybe the Diablo, BAA, CAL, Mexican Cerveza, etc.

Jim

EwanRGR likes this

I use beerlabelizer.com.  They have several different label templates that are free, and you can customize them a bit with different color options.  I like more customization options, such as uploading my own pictures for labels, so I became a "premium" member which cost a grand total of $8.00 for a lifetime.  Yes, eight bucks for life.

Here are a few of the labels I've done through them:

33088704566_05d34d1ba2_z.jpg

34888120103_bfd52c562f_z.jpg

CALEX#1.jpg

Heavy McWee.jpg

Nilla Porter.jpg

Stephieweizen.jpg

Witch's Flight.jpg

jasbo, John K., MichaelL and 3 others like this

Oh, and I don't put labels on all of a batch, usually just four-to-eight of them or so.  For the rest, I just Sharpie an abbreviation on the bottle cap, i.e. "WF" is Witch's Flight, "CS2" is Calavera Spiced Chile Stout.

With my next batch I'm going to experiment with adhering the labels using milk.

So far I bottle condition in the 750ml plastic bottles leaving a touch of residue in the bottom. I won't drink from those bottles, I prefer drinking from a glass.

I am planning on getting a generic label maker. It might be more presentable than the masking tape and Sharpie I use now. :lol:

On 7/21/2017 at 1:51 PM, Shrike said:

I use beerlabelizer.com.  They have several different label templates that are free, and you can customize them a bit with different color options.  I like more customization options, such as uploading my own pictures for labels, so I became a "premium" member which cost a grand total of $8.00 for a lifetime.  Yes, eight bucks for life.

Here are a few of the labels I've done through them:

33088704566_05d34d1ba2_z.jpg

34888120103_bfd52c562f_z.jpg

CALEX#1.jpg

Heavy McWee.jpg

Nilla Porter.jpg

Stephieweizen.jpg

Witch's Flight.jpg

This looks like a cheap cool alternative to buying labels, but i have a question have you tried this on standard pet plastic bottles? just curious 

6 hours ago, joshua.j.grissom said:

This looks like a cheap cool alternative to buying labels, but i have a question have you tried this on standard pet plastic bottles? just curious 

The sixth is a 500ml PET bottle.  In the past I printed on a shipping label (four to one label), trimmed the beer label to size, then put them on the bottle.  But once adhered, those suckers are a pain to take off.  So now I go low-tech:  print labels on regular paper, cut to size, and tape on.  You can't even tell that the label is scotch-taped on in the sixth picture.

John K. likes this

11 hours ago, Shrike said:

The sixth is a 500ml PET bottle.  In the past I printed on a shipping label (four to one label), trimmed the beer label to size, then put them on the bottle.  But once adhered, those suckers are a pain to take off.  So now I go low-tech:  print labels on regular paper, cut to size, and tape on.  You can't even tell that the label is scotch-taped on in the sixth picture.

I print my labels on regular paper also. I cut them to size and use Elmer's glue sticks to put them on the bottle. It does work on PET bottles also, but they stick better to glass bottles. They come off easy with warm water.

Unless I want a decorative label, I use the 1 inch Avery adhesive seals #5247, 15 to a sheet.  I use the Avery tool installed into Word, and use #8 or 9 font.  I stick them on the bottle cap so I can see what they are without having to take it out of the container.

This works for the PET or the glass 12 oz bottles just fine.

You don't have to take them off, you just stick the next one on top. If a thick layer wants to come off, let it and continue sticking on top of  what is left. These are probably #10 font.

20170724_211607.png