Creeps McLane

Build me a recipe

144 posts in this topic

Alright, i have a crap ton of ingredients. My challenge to you is to create the best recipe from what i have on hand. Im not promising, but if your recipe is the one i brew, i may send you some "yeast cultures". Im open to any batch size but im partial to 10 gallon all grain

Fermentables:

40 lbs marris otter

30 lbs pale malt

Malto dextrin 

Corn sugar

1 lb flaked corn

Northwest pale ale

Diablo IPA

Canadian Blonde 2

Briess sorghum 2

Amber candi sugar

Churchills nut brown ale

Yeasts:

Mexican lager liquid

Us-05

Belle saison

K-97

MJ empire ale

MJ bavarian wheat

MJ bohemian lager

Flavorings:

2 oz toasted oak chips

Hops:

Waimea 1 oz

Mandarina Bavaria 1 oz

Warrior 4

Galena 4

Polaris 4

Simcoe 3

Columbus 10

El dorado 2

Citra 9

Sorachi 1 

Cascade 11 oz

Loral 2 oz

Delta 2 oz

Apollo 2 oz

MrWhy and Bonsai & Brew like this

Hell yeah!!!!!

This is my type of deal.

What yeasts are we looking at here?

Nevermind - I see S-05 up there.

I'm on this.

Creeps McLane likes this

Here is my entry -

The Somewhat Imperial IPA

20lbs Maris Otter

10lbs Pale

2lbs Amber candi sugar

(mash to your preference)

Hops-

2oz Columbus 60

1oz Warrior 60

2oz Citra 5

2oz Cascade 5

2oz El Dorado 5

1oz Waimea - flameout or dry (your preference)

S-05 yeast

I calculated a 75% efficiency and came up with OG 1.087, FG 1.013, using a 75% efficiency you get an ABV of 10%. IBU is 67, SRM is 12.

Goal is a flavorful malt, strong ABV, IBUs on the lower end of the Imperial IPA scale, but a lot of good tropical/floral notes from heavy late additions. I would have no problem upping the Citra or Cascade to 3 or 4 oz.......

I'm hoping the amber candi ups the ABV and dries it out a bit, adding to the drinkability.....if you have enough I would lower the pale and up the amber candi sugar, keeping it at AVB 10. Maybe 8 pounds pale, 3 pounds sugar. (Puts the sugar at 10% of the fermentables.)

Creeps McLane likes this

Ok, so if I do the "why so creepy" colab Ale I'll likely split it in half for a five gallon BIAB if it's ok with @MrWhy. I'll also add what I figure to be 3/4 lb of Malto dextrin if it's ok with him also.  Though I believe this will sweeten it a tad, I don't think I'll notice much. I need to get rid of that stuff, plain and simple. Otherwise no other revisions. I do like the lower cohumulone bittering hops and the nice juicy ones at the end. This is also a great recipe since I obviously need to dwindle down my inventory a bit. Brew day is set for Friday night. All other entries must be in before that or @MrWhy is running away with this competition 

John K., MrWhy and Bonsai & Brew like this

My hangup with this one is i would go at it like i would when i cook... little of this.. little of that...... hmm that sounds good... maybe a touch more of this... now lets add that.... oooo hey look i forgot i had that... throw it in... it would totally be a mad scientist brew with hopes it was drinkable at the end of it all....lol

Shrike and AnthonyC like this

11 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

My hangup with this one is i would go at it like i would when i cook... little of this.. little of that...... hmm that sounds good... maybe a touch more of this... now lets add that.... oooo hey look i forgot i had that... throw it in... it would totally be a mad scientist brew with hopes it was drinkable at the end of it all....lol

Some of the greatest brews are born this way!

hotrod3539 likes this

32 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

Oh, it never goes to waste... trust me

hotrod3539 likes this

How about an easy drinking, summer-fermenting American-style Dampfbier with a light, spicy citrus bitterness?

Over the Humpfbier

5 Gal. Partial mash

Pale Malt, 8 lb.

Sorghum Liquid Extract, 1 lb.

Mandarina Bavaria, 1 oz, 45 min.

Delta hops, 1 oz, 5 min.

Mangrove Jack's M20 Bavarian Wheat yeast

Mash grain @ 154 F for an hour.

Sparge and boil.

Ferment @ 70 F with M20.

OG  1.051

SRM  ~4

IBU  ~20

Shrike, MrWhy and Creeps McLane like this

Pillow Talk Pale

10 gallon batch

7 lbs maris otter

10 lbs pale malt

3/4 lb maltodextrin 

1 oz Citra - mash hop

1 oz Galena - 60

1 oz Columbus - 20

1 oz Amarillo - 10

1 oz Loral - Dry Hop

Safale US-05 

SRM ~3

IBU~47

1.046 OG

4.93 ABV

Bonsai & Brew likes this

11 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Yes! Competition! Nice looking recipe @Bonsai & Brew. I guarantee that would a nice easy drinking beer. Perfect for a summer camp fire

Thanks, Creeps -- maybe add a little CaraAroma for body, color and aroma?

Without getting too far OT, I'd like to know more about that Sorghum extract -- I know that it is a popular malt for gluten-free beer, but what have you brewed with it?  Thx!

2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Thanks, Creeps -- maybe add a little CaraAroma for body, color and aroma?

Without getting too far OT, I'd like to know more about that Sorghum extract -- I know that it is a popular malt for gluten-free beer, but what have you brewed with it?  Thx!

This was a very good beer. I highly recommend it. I dont think i ever did add the grapefruit zest

Intolerant Zombie 

Recipe   Intolerant Zombie   Style   American Pale Ale
Brewer       Batch   6.50 gal
Extract

Recipe Characteristics

Recipe Gravity   1.046 OG   Estimated FG   1.012 FG
Recipe Bitterness   72 IBU   Alcohol by Volume   4.5%
Recipe Color   11° SRM   Alcohol by Weight   3.5%

Ingredients

Quantity   Grain   Type   Use
1.00 lb   Candi Sugar, Amber (Belgian)   Sugar   Other
6.60 lb   Sorghum Liquid Extract   Extract   Extract
Quantity   Hop   Type   Time
1.00 oz   Cascade - Unmistakable grapefruit aroma and flavor, signature hop of many American ales   Pellet   45 minutes
1.00 oz   Citra - Musky tropical fruit and strong citrus make this a great flavor/aroma hop very fruity   Pellet   20 minutes
1.00 oz   Cascade - Unmistakable grapefruit aroma and flavor, signature hop of many American ales   Pellet   20 minutes
1.00 oz   Citra - Musky tropical fruit and strong citrus make this a great flavor/aroma hop very fruity   Pellet   10 minutes
1.00 oz   Cascade - Unmistakable grapefruit aroma and flavor, signature hop of many American ales   Pellet   10 minutes
1.00 oz   Citra - Musky tropical fruit and strong citrus make this a great flavor/aroma hop very fruity   Pellet   5 minutes
1.00 oz   Falconers Flight 7c's- Aroma - Strong Fruit and citrus with layers of spicy nd earthty overtones   Pellet   0 minutes
Quantity   Misc   Notes
1.00 unit   Grapefruit Zest   Other   Soak in liquor for 48 hours prior to adding to fermenter. Add zest and liquor
1.00 unit   Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast   Yeast   English: Temperature Range: 59°-75° F medium attenuation with medium to high flocculation

Recipe Notes

Dry Hop with 7 C's and grapefruit zest at day 5
Have to do 6.5 Gallons to get a session ABV
Start @ 8 gallons of water to allow for boil off and trub

Bonsai & Brew likes this

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:19 PM, Creeps McLane said:

Alright, i have a crap ton of ingredients. My challenge to you is to create the best recipe from what i have on hand. Im not promising, but if your recipe is the one i brew, i may send you some "yeast cultures". Im open to any batch size but im partial to 10 gallon all grain

Fermentables:

40 lbs marris otter

30 lbs pale malt

Malto dextrin 

Corn sugar

1 lb flaked corn

Northwest pale ale

Diablo IPA

Canadian Blonde 2

Briess sorghum 2

Amber candi sugar

Churchills nut brown ale

Yeasts:

Mexican lager liquid

Us-05

Belle saison

K-97

MJ empire ale

MJ bavarian wheat

MJ bohemian lager

Flavorings:

2 oz toasted oak chips

Hops:

Waimea 1 oz

Mandarina Bavaria 1 oz

Warrior 4

Galena 4

Polaris 4

Simcoe 3

Columbus 10

El dorado 2

Citra 9

Sorachi 1 

Cascade 11 oz

Loral 2 oz

Delta 2 oz

Apollo 2 oz

It's my lunch break and I'm just sitting here looking at this wondering if we are all missing the hidden gem of a recipe.  And where is @MRB Tim's entry?

MRB Tim likes this

Just now, Bonsai & Brew said:

And where is @MRB Tim's entry?

Haven't had time to give it the thought it deserves, but I will get around to it one of these days.

2 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

It's my lunch break and I'm just sitting here looking at this wondering if we are all missing the hidden gem of a recipe.  And where is @MRB Tim's entry?

..the missing ingredient is LOVE.  ?❤️ 

Bonsai & Brew likes this

Just now, MRB Tim said:

Haven't had time to give it the thought it deserves, but I will get around to it one of these days.

You may have to contact @Creeps McLane and ask for an extension -- I think the deadline is today, but what time?  The perfect recipe may come to me driving home from work today!

Ok... so im a very indecisive person and am having a tough time with what i want to brew. Lots of variables right now.

Should i BIAB outside tonight and be limited to a 5 gallon batch? Its supposed to be like 56 degrees tonight. 

Should i brew inside and tidy up the brew cave inbetween the process and do a 10 gallon batch?

the recipes also play a part too. I dont have the ingredients to turn @Bonsai & Brew's recipe into a 10. @MrWhy i could do either or but id prefer to only make 5 of a double ipa. 

More on the recipes. I was all about the ipa since it was posted. However... its not a style i typically enjoy. I like lower abv beers a lot better. My other problem is im wondering if with such a large grain bill will the hops be enough to offset the sweet of the grain. 67 ibu is pretty high i guess. Not sure. I still have to think on this one. I also like that i can do some serious inventory reduction with this recipe. Thats a huge positive for me.

the dampfbier looks like a solid beer. I guess the only downfall is i cant make it 10 gallons. Id have to get more hops. 

This is community effort. What do yall think?

MrWhy likes this

The hops in that ipa actually look pretty darn good. I take back thinking they wouldn't be enough to power through the malt.