Mr.Beer Community
Creeps McLane

Build me a recipe

Looks awesome!

My hope is that this is going to be more strong and hoppy and less bitter......

I am having brewer second thoughts....should some of those late addtion/aroma hops hit the 10 mark?????

1.5 citra@10

1.5 cascade@10

1.5 el dorado@10

1.5 ctira@5

1.5 cascade @5

1.5 el dorado @5

1 oz waimea dry.........

12 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Looks awesome!

My hope is that this is going to be more strong and hoppy and less bitter......

I am having brewer second thoughts....should some of those late addtion/aroma hops hit the 10 mark?????

1.5 citra@10

1.5 cascade@10

1.5 el dorado@10

1.5 ctira@5

1.5 cascade @5

1.5 el dorado @5

1 oz waimea dry.........

Theyre already weighed out into one oz packs. If you want to do a last minute revision id keep them to full oz measurments

its your recipe, im just brewing it

1 minute ago, Creeps McLane said:

Theyre already weighed out into one oz packs. If you want to do a last minute revision id keep them to full oz measurments

its your recipe, im just brewing it

Ha! I though it was your recipe I was making for you!!!

If it is mine.....

3oz cascade @ 9

3oz el dorado @ 7

3oz citra@ 5

3oz waimea@ flameout.

That is what I would do.

Putting my boy to sleep while im 90 minutes into my mash. Im sure i said this but my last beer i mashed for 8 hours. Completely temp controlled on a recirculating pump so i dont have much to worry about. Crazy efficiency and i can mash in right after work or when i get a spare moment. Then after the kids go to sleep i start my sparge water rather than my strike water.  Ive noticed that the mash gets super thin after sitting for that long. Thats why im mashing below 150 tonight cuz i knew it would be in there for over an hour. Its all calculated madness.

Not expecting to hit my OG. Every time i use two track grain i fall a bit short. Preboil gravity of 1.052, well see where were at in an hour. 

So many hops im going back to the hop filter. Ill do @kedogn's experiment and see what temp is inside of that thing while boiling. 

I hit my preboil volume of 12 gallons so that is nice. Patiently waiting on the protein hot break currently. 11pm.

a few more pics, cuz why not. This is @MrWhy's beer. Im just brewing it

first runnings, fly sparging, #shimsaresohandy

IMG_4076.JPG

IMG_4078.JPG

IMG_4080.JPG

IMG_4081.JPG

Chapter 7. Hot break. Its like this for you non 60 min boil people. 

Slight foam turns to bubbling thick foam than promises to boil over unless you do something about it. Kill heat, foam diminishes, jack up heat, foams like crazy, kill heat, foam diminishes, half heat, foam slowly appears, kill heat, simmer, flicking patiently between no heat and various levels of heat your comfortable with until all of a sudden, no foam. Hell yes, set the clock for 60 min people! Were boiling!!!! Fear of boil over reduces to 20%, ill even walk away at this point with a confidence that very well might bite me in the ass. Elapsed time 15 min of heart racing danger. Crack a vitamin water. Gotta stay hydrated in tough times like these. 

PS, hop filter directly over the element, 6 inch probe. Shows 210ish. Im ok with that. Weird it doesnt boil right there but its hot enough to. 

Ok so I deviated a little bit. Heres how. 

20 min addition of 1 oz of citra, cascade and el dorado

10 min addition of 1 oz of citra, cascade and eldorado

hop stand at 170 with 1 oz citra and cascade

also noteworthy just so you know how stressful the last leg was:

yeast nutrient at 10

whirlfloc at 15

candi sugar at 10

maltodextrin at 10

i think thats it.

current status: hop stand 12:41 am

then chill and pitch yeast

3 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

I didn't really contribute much (w/the exception of LOVE) to this recipe Creepy, but I have a name for you:  Creeps Never Sleeps Ale.  Get some sleep ya brewin' ass vampire!  ? 

2 am i finally crawled in bed. Keep in mind i was up at three for work yesterday too. Wife let me sleep in until 8 today which is nice. Brew days always go long. Thats the downfall to all grain

32 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

2 am i finally crawled in bed. Keep in mind i was up at three for work yesterday too. Wife let me sleep in until 8 today which is nice. Brew days always go long. Thats the downfall to all grain

You aren't kiddin', Creepy!  I never realized how time consuming AG is, but the end result is OH SO GOOD!!!

6 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

24 hours into the yeast orgy session

IMG_4107.JPG

Sockets to hold down the lid on the BMB??? That is pure genius!! I will have to give that a try once i resume brewing (with the temps seeming to cool down some early that may be sooner that i thought) 

On 7/30/2017 at 4:19 PM, Creeps McLane said:

Alright, i have a crap ton of ingredients. My challenge to you is to create the best recipe from what i have on hand. Im not promising, but if your recipe is the one i brew, i may send you some "yeast cultures". Im open to any batch size but im partial to 10 gallon all grain

Fermentables:

20 lbs marris otter

20 lbs pale malt

Corn sugar

1 lb flaked corn

Northwest pale ale

Diablo IPA

Canadian Blonde 2

Briess sorghum 2

Churchills nut brown ale

Yeasts:

Mexican lager liquid

Us-05

Belle saison

K-97

MJ empire ale

MJ bavarian wheat

MJ bohemian lager

Flavorings:

2 oz toasted oak chips

Hops:

Tahoma - 3 oz

HBC 438 1 oz

Mandarina Bavaria 1 oz

Warrior 3

Galena 4

Polaris 4

Simcoe 3

Columbus 8

Citra 6

Sorachi 1 

Cascade 8 oz

Loral 2 oz

Delta 2 oz

Apollo 2 oz

Im extremely excited about the beer that i have fermenting right now thanks to @MrWhy. Truth be told, thats the first time in history ive brewed 10 gallons of one thing and not split it with different yeasts and dry hopping. 

The above list is updated. Round two. Give me a recipe and i will make it worth your while if you have the best one. This round you have some time. Brew day is set for August 25th. Deadline is 8-25-17 @ 12:00 noon.

You know me. Appeal to my likes and goodies may arrive at your door step. 

@Creeps McLane I'm not wanting to "steal" your idea, so I am asking if it's ok that I do. :) 

I love this idea so much, I would really enjoy doing something similar, then getting it on tap at Manfish Brewing and possibly a local bar.  Full recipe by everyone here who wants to give suggestions and a name voted on by those who want to participate.  You cool with that? 

For the record, I probably won't start the process until next month as I have several beers in line that I "have to" brew (there's that phrase again) that will take the next few weeks already. 

Overall, I just think it would be wicked cool. :)