Creeps McLane

Build me a recipe

144 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2017 at 6:22 PM, HoppySmile! said:

well i'm about to try out the Omega yeast packets, and recently got the Gigayeast DIPA packet in for a creative NEIPA experiment!!! Began another saison/brett this next weekend until some a$$hole stole my yeast packet off of my front porch about 30 minutes b4 I got home! but I didn't know it was shipping so soon. I just hope they enjoy the yeast slurry fermenting into their belly!!!! IDIOTS!!!!! LOL!  So I just got back an hour ago from my LGBT, uh I mean my LHBS and decided with the White Labs American Farmhouse Ale blend to use in place of the stolen yeast. 

Omega yeast is my favorite. However ive never used wyeast or giga. Ive only kinda tried white labs. My brew buddy using wyeast all the time. Two smack packs, no starter. 

HoppySmile! likes this

54 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

@Bonsai & Brew

please add 12 lbs of breiss white wheat, 12 lbs of rye malt and 12 lbs of munich to the ingredient list

NOW we're talking!  When's your next brew day? 🍻 

7 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

NOW we're talking!  When's your next brew day? 🍻 

Probably like two weeks from now. Ive been dreaming of a grisette

3 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Probably like two weeks from now. Ive been dreaming of a grisette

Looking at Dark Farmhouse as it stands, I might actually save the Mandarina Bavaria for the dry-hop and use the Strisselspalt for the late boil addition, i.e. swap-the-hops.  As for the new grain bill, I've been using 4oz. flaked rye in my Petite frere de Saison 2-gal. batches so maybe 1 lb. would work nicely for this Grisette.  Anyway, I don't know if this will turn out to be the beer of your dreams but if it is, hopefully that dream won't be a nightmare!:D

HoppySmile! likes this

17 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Looking at Dark Farmhouse as it stands, I might actually save the Mandarina Bavaria for the dry-hop and use the Strisselspalt for the late boil addition, i.e. swap-the-hops.  As for the new grain bill, I've been using 4oz. flaked rye in my Petite frere de Saison 2-gal. batches so maybe 1 lb. would work nicely for this Grisette.  Anyway, I don't know if this will turn out to be the beer of your dreams but if it is, hopefully that dream won't be a nightmare!:D

Not sure of the difference between flaked rye and rye grain for usage and taste wise. But rye malt is what i have.

this would just be something new. Thats all im looking for. Branching out a bit

Bonsai & Brew likes this

On 11/3/2017 at 1:39 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

I dare you.

Creepy, Dark Farmhouse Grisette

All grain, 10 gal.

Two-row, 14 lbs.

Malted Wheat, 2 lbs.

Vienna, 0.5 lb

Carafa II, 0.5 lb, +/- color to preference

Loral hops, 1 oz (11.8%), 60 min.

Loral hops, 1 oz, 20 min.

Mandarina Bavaria (9.2%), 10 min.

Strisselspalt, 1 oz. Day 7 dry-hop

Omega American Farmhouse Ale yeast

OG 1.047

IBU 39

SRM 13

Maybe a little flaked rye too as long as you're going to the LHBS anyway.

17924972-creepy-old-house.jpg

So is this the final recipe? I think I’ll brew ten gallons and make one a grisette and one a dark wheat with some hefe yeast. Or am i switching around the hop schedule? 

@Bonsai & Brew What are your thoughts?

Bonsai & Brew likes this

6 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

So is this the final recipe? I think I’ll brew ten lbs and make one a grisette and one a dark wheat with some hefe yeast. Or am i switching around the hop schedule? 

@Bonsai & Brew What are your thoughts?

Right, along with adding a pound of your malted rye, I think the Mandarina Bavaria would be the better dry-hop.  I really like your method of splitting the batch and getting 2 brews out of 1 mash. 🍻

Creeps McLane likes this

8 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Right, along with adding a pound of your malted rye, I think the Mandarina Bavaria would be the better dry-hop.  I really like your method of splitting the batch and getting 2 brews out of 1 mash. 🍻

Thanks man. I think brewing this way makes me really think about the yeast and how i can achieve different beers just changing one ingredient. Plus on this particular occasion, I will have some harvested hefe yeast to use. 

hotrod3539 and Bonsai & Brew like this

50 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Moved the last two Hop additions around, added rye malt. The yeast is a lie. I only have dry yeasts in my spreadsheet. @Bonsai & Brew Is that what you wanted me to do with the hops?

forgot Vienna, ignore that. I’ve added it on my side

B698198F-0EF5-4869-98BA-1AE2A950E4C7.png

How does this program calc. SRM?  Can you input Lovibond?

9 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

How does this program calc. SRM?  Can you input Lovibond?

Yeah, i can change anything i want to. The value to the left of the name is the Lovibond i stole from Beer Smith. Hop alpha was jacked from ych. Ive had to change a few hops before. 

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Yeah, i can change anything i want to. The value to the left of the name is the Lovibond i stole from Beer Smith. Hop alpha was jacked from ych. Ive had to change a few hops before. 

Oh, OK.  I'm just curious what half a pound of 430 ºL Carafa 2 will do for the final color.  How dark do you feel this brew should be?

2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Oh, OK.  I'm just curious what half a pound of 430 ºL Carafa 2 will do for the final color.  How dark do you feel this brew should be?

I dont even have a value for that one...  ill fix that when i get home

@Bonsai & Brew 1/2 lb brings us to 28 srm, about in the brown ale srm range. 30-40 would be like a stout. 

Color is not a concern. Flavor is. Not sure how carafa II tastes at certain levels. This is a brew with a lot of first for me

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

@Bonsai & Brew 1/2 lb brings us to 28 srm, about in the brown ale srm range. 30-40 would be like a stout. 

Color is not a concern. Flavor is. Not sure how carafa II tastes at certain levels. This is a brew with a lot of first for me

Yeah, I thought about that as well -- too much Carafa might impart undesired roastiness, but with limited use it might not be noticeable.  We need help from @MRB Josh R and @MRB Tim on this one!

16 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Yeah, I thought about that as well -- too much Carafa might impart undesired roastiness, but with limited use it might not be noticeable.  We need help from @MRB Josh R and @MRB Tim on this one!

Carafa is a dehusked grain whose main purpose is to add color without a lot of flavor. It is preferable to any of the darker grains if that's what you're looking for. You can even get less flavor by doing an overnight cold steep instead and adding that to your boil. If you can't get Carafa, Blackprinz is basically the same thing, but from a different brand (Briess).

1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

Carafa is a dehusked grain whose main purpose is to add color without a lot of flavor. It is preferable to any of the darker grains if that's what you're looking for. You can even get less flavor by doing an overnight cold steep instead and adding that to your boil. If you can't get Carafa, Blackprinz is basically the same thing, but from a different brand (Briess).

Very informative, thank you sir

MRB Josh R likes this

I'm building another IPA recipe, will be posting soon, however, I do not know when to add the used leather shoe? During aroma or dry hop????