Mr.Beer Community
Creeps McLane

Build me a recipe

@Big Sarge let’s be about it. No time like the present. No limits to the recipe. Tell me what you want to brew and we can do it.  This is what I have on hand.

50 lbs pilsner

40 lbs golden promise

15 lbs munich

6 lbs rye malt

4 lbs black prinz malt

5 lbs aromatic makt

7 lbs whit wheat malt

5 lbs carapils copper

7 lbs vienna

5 lbs crystal 40

Ample hops: 

Mosaic

cluster

willamette

cascade

3 oz southern cross

3 oz Michigan copper

nothing is off the table. I’ll order anything. You name it, I’ll brew it. Or we’ll brew it. Or I’ll send it to you. You choose.  We can go back and forth, style, or grain bill, or hops, ABV, ibu. You start

19 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

@Big Sarge let’s be about it. No time like the present. No limits to the recipe. Tell me what you want to brew and we can do it.  This is what I have on hand.

50 lbs pilsner

40 lbs golden promise

15 lbs munich

6 lbs rye malt

4 lbs black prinz malt

5 lbs aromatic makt

7 lbs whit wheat malt

5 lbs carapils copper

7 lbs vienna

5 lbs crystal 40

Ample hops: 

Mosaic

cluster

willamette

cascade

3 oz southern cross

3 oz Michigan copper

nothing is off the table. I’ll order anything. You name it, I’ll brew it. Or we’ll brew it. Or I’ll send it to you. You choose.  We can go back and forth, style, or grain bill, or hops, ABV, ibu. You start

Shoot, I'm just seeing this. It was a long day at work. I'm gonna get after it though. I say we go with a big farmhouse ale. You've got a helluva lot to work with. I'm all in though. I'm going to take a general stab without a brew calculator though; working on drinking a few after a long day is the current priority. Let me know what you think:

golden promise all the way

a touch of Munich 

aromatic for good measure

nice and light SRM 

I like Willamette highlighting with southern cross on rhythm

mild IBUs but not too much to take away from the funk...it's gotta be funky. 

We need more cowbell. And by cowbell, I mean Brett. 

1 hour ago, Big Sarge said:

Shoot, I'm just seeing this. It was a long day at work. I'm gonna get after it though. I say we go with a big farmhouse ale. You've got a helluva lot to work with. I'm all in though. I'm going to take a general stab without a brew calculator though; working on drinking a few after a long day is the current priority. Let me know what you think:

golden promise all the way

a touch of Munich 

aromatic for good measure

nice and light SRM 

I like Willamette highlighting with southern cross on rhythm

mild IBUs but not too much to take away from the funk...it's gotta be funky. 

We need more cowbell. And by cowbell, I mean Brett. 

Kinda tart cherry funky in your face brett flavor or that woodsy funky background brett flavor

On 9/9/2018 at 10:17 PM, Creeps McLane said:

50 lbs pilsner

7 lbs whit wheat malt

7 lbs vienna

Ample hops: 

Mosaic

cascade

I like the idea of using New World hops with a Saison malt base and yeast, so, ya know, you could/should do that. I did something very similar with Ekuanot pellet/CryoHops and I overbittered a bit (only my 2nd AG batch) but otherwise I was quite happy with it. 

18 minutes ago, MRB Tim said:

I like the idea of using New World hops with a Saison malt base and yeast, so, ya know, you could/should do that. I did something very similar with Ekuanot pellet/CryoHops and I overbittered a bit (only my 2nd AG batch) but otherwise I was quite happy with it. 

That southern cross flavor profile sounded perfect for a farmhouse brett beer. Ive never used it before. Ive never used ekuanot either

21 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Ive never used it before. Ive never used ekuanot either

I've never used Southern Cross, either, but I'd say Ekuanot is mostly peppery. I had a separate Brett Saison that's been in secondary for a while now, I used Tettnang for that and it seemed to work well. 

4 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

@Big Sarge water profile to match what google says DuPont water profile is. This beer will take a long time before drinking

You, sir, are an artist. That looks damn good. It bears a damn fine name, too. I swear I'm going to make a tshirt with that on it!

We just graduated the the kids from basic training this afternoon, with the next cycle starting in a mere 10 days. In the interim, I have lots of catching up in all things beer. 

On November 7, 2017 at 5:22 PM, HoppySmile! said:

well i'm about to try out the Omega yeast packets, and recently got the Gigayeast DIPA packet in for a creative NEIPA experiment!!! Began another saison/brett this next weekend until some a$$hole stole my yeast packet off of my front porch about 30 minutes b4 I got home! but I didn't know it was shipping so soon. I just hope they enjoy the yeast slurry fermenting into their belly!!!! IDIOTS!!!!! LOL!  So I just got back an hour ago from my LGBT, uh I mean my LHBS and decided with the White Labs American Farmhouse Ale blend to use in place of the stolen yeast. 

We miss you man!🍻

I'm making a pale ale to use up some extraneous hops. I want to bitter with one and split into two for dry hopping. Here's what's available:

Azacca: B/A 14% Citrus, pineapple, pine

Waimea: B/A 16% Citrus, pine
Wakatu: A/B 6.5% Floral, citrus
Calypso: B/A 12% Floral, fruity

2 hours ago, Big Sarge said:

I'm making a pale ale to use up some extraneous hops. I want to bitter with one and split into two for dry hopping. Here's what's available:

Azacca: B/A 14% Citrus, pineapple, pine

Waimea: B/A 16% Citrus, pine
Wakatu: A/B 6.5% Floral, citrus
Calypso: B/A 12% Floral, fruity

Azacca: co-humulome- 38-45% Citrus, pineapple, pine

Waimea: co-humulone- 22-24% B/A 16% Citrus, pine
Wakatu: co-humulone- 28-30% A/B 6.5% Floral, citrus
Calypso: co-humulone-40-42% B/A 12% Floral, fruity

columbus for refrence: 28-35%

so long story short with 0 experiences in any of these hops. Id go with:

waimea for bittering since its only a pale and not an ipa. Then split azacca in one and the last two blended in the other. I love a low bitterness, juicy pale ale. Let them dry hops shine

12 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Azacca: co-humulome- 38-45% Citrus, pineapple, pine

Waimea: co-humulone- 22-24% B/A 16% Citrus, pine
Wakatu: co-humulone- 28-30% A/B 6.5% Floral, citrus
Calypso: co-humulone-40-42% B/A 12% Floral, fruity

columbus for refrence: 28-35%

so long story short with 0 experiences in any of these hops. Id go with:

waimea for bittering since its only a pale and not an ipa. Then split azacca in one and the last two blended in the other. I love a low bitterness, juicy pale ale. Let them dry hops shine

I like it. A lot. I think they're definitely logical pairings throughout. 

Question: Why the insistence on pointing out the co-humulone levels? I've obviously heard of it before, but I'm too lazy/busy to look it up. 

Thanks again @Creeps McLane

13 minutes ago, Big Sarge said:

I like it. A lot. I think they're definitely logical pairings throughout. 

Question: Why the insistence on pointing out the co-humulone levels? I've obviously heard of it before, but I'm too lazy/busy to look it up. 

Thanks again @Creeps McLane

Alpha acids are one way of looking at a hops bittering power but the true indicator is the co-humulone.