MiniYoda

recipe for Helles

84 posts in this topic

This weekend I'm moving the 80 bottles from the carbonation closet (about 70 degrees) to the fridge for lagering.  I've been reading up on how to do this, and am seeking advise from all those here.  I've read to start at 60 degrees and slowly bring the temp of the bottles down, about 2 degrees per day, until I reach the mid 30's.  Is this the ideal method, as opposed to throwing them in the fridge at the mid 30's right away?  Does the fact that the beer has already carbonated and is going to be bottle conditioned make any difference?

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:10 PM, MiniYoda said:

Okay, then let's brew the helles out of a helles. 

Okay.....SOMEONE had to say it.

I brewed a 12% Helles Bock At Ya! I later re named it " Black out Bock" because a couple of glasses I wouldn't remember a thing!!!! It was kegged for over a year

Bonsai & Brew likes this

46 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

What is your recipe for the Munich Helles?

Copied from earlier in this thread (with a couple edits):

Weyermann Pilsner, 3 lbs.

Weyermann Light Munich, 0.25 lb.

BrewMax Pale DME, 0.47 lb.

Hallertau Mittelfruh, 0.75 oz, 60 min.

Hallertau Mittelfruh, 0.5 oz, 20 min.

Hallertau Mittelfruh, 0.25 oz, 10 min.

Saflager W-34/70

Mash and boil following the BYO link above.  Ditto for lagering.

OG 1.053

IBU 20

SRM 3

ABV 5.1%

MiniYoda likes this

The BYO version, while it looks wonderful, is a bit out of my abilities right now.  It would be difficult, without a dedicated fridge, to have a method of fermenting and lagering a 5 gallon vessel.  It was a pain to do the four LBK's in my fridge, as I lost the ability to use the fridge for anything else.  Maybe when I hit the lottery I'll build a house with multiple fridges in the basement.

Tonight I'm moving the 80 or so bottles from the carbonating closet to the fridge, which is currently temp-controlled at 60 degrees, and will be lowering the temp every day by about 2 degrees until I hit the mid 30's.  I'll leave them there (about normal fridge temp for me) for at least a month, then start sampling them.

Edit......I guess I could always split the recipe into two LBKs.   Or cut it in half and make a 2.5 gallon batch.

Something to think about........

Bonsai & Brew likes this

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:41 AM, MiniYoda said:

The BYO version

yeah I agree with you, I have body year odor too it's tough to rid of, so I just splash sum American lager extract under there and everythings just fine

Bonsai & Brew likes this

Just a quick update for you @MiniYoda -- following a two-week fermentation and a 3-day diacetyl rest, I racked my mostly-grain Helles to another LBK @ FG 1.008 and returned to 50 F (the garage) for secondary fermentation/lagering.  The hydro. sample is very good - soft, grainy, and malty. :)

John K. likes this