Cammanron

Basic list of ingredients...

26 posts in this topic

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:17 PM, Cammanron said:

Thats a great start. I was also envisioning a colour coded type chart. 

Like yeasts that are coded blue to yellow for example... 

Then malt (extracts or grains) that are complementary coded in such a way that you can put them together, OR experiment on the edge of the 'colour range'...

And hops code similarly as well... 

It would be a compendium, as it were, of possible brew combinations.

@Cammanron, PLEASE don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way.  It is REALLY not meant to be derogatory, It's just something that came into my head while re-reading this thread.

What it sounds like you are suggesting is something similar to Garanimals https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garanimals, which is a method that kids can pair up clothing items to make sure they matched, based on an animal tag on each article of clothing.  What it sounds like you are wanting is something similar, where if you wanted to make a certain style beer, you would match a yellow tagged HME with (or without) a yellow tagged hop, malt extract and/or grain.

The problem I see with this, again, is that in the brewing hobby, (almost) anything goes.  True most people wouldn't add a wheat LME to a Porter HME, but there are many many variations of what can, and what might, go together, that a solid color coding of each ingredient would be a challenge.

Take a look at Mr. Beer's Grocery store.  Pick a category (hops, for example), then look at one of the hops (such as Crystal).  At the bottom of the page, you will see perhaps four recipes that Mr. Beer sells that has that item.  From there, you can open each recipe to see what they used as far as HME, etc, to make the recipe.  Again, just about anything can go with anything, but with this method, or my spreadsheet, you can find that certain things more often than not go with others, depending on the beer style.

hotrod3539 and TonyKZ1 like this