BradsBeer

Looking for a Christmas beer recipe

20 posts in this topic

That uses HME and some sort of additions that I supply such as almond extract or allspice or some sort of fruit.  I couldn't find any Christmas Ale recipes for sale on the MrBeer site so thought I'd ask here.  Don't mind doing a partial mash either.

I would say to try the InBev sites, but we're not on speaking terms right now.   Briess has some pretty good Christmas Ales on their site.  Just ballpark...  whatta ya lookin' for?  Spiced Ale, Coffee Stouts, Juniper IPA?  

Are you dead set on an HME?

Spiced Ale would best describe what I'm looking for.  With some hops but not at an IPA level of hops.  Cinnamon sounds like Christmas..I would like to stick with a HME it is just easier and less work.  I do want to add a few ingredients I source such as vanilla extract or some fruit.  Don't mind doing a partial mash, but not required.

I found the ingredients list for an old MrBeer Christmas beer, but not the instructions.  People really seemed to like it but it used an HME that's no longer available.  I wouldn't mind doing that one if I had the instructions and knew when to add the cherries, honey, vanilla.  And could come up with an alternative to the Winter Dark HME.

But, doing that one isn't a requirement.  I'm really looking for what other people have brewed specifically for Christmas and would pick one that appeals to me.

Ah yes.  Winter Dark Ale.  That stuff is a legend!  There were a lot of long faces when that one was discontinued.  I don't think that there is a Mr. Beer Christmas Beer kit or recipe available, but with the rate that they're pumping out new recipes I wouldn't be surprised if you see one relatively soon.  As for a spiced Christmas ale, I made exactly that last year.  99% sure that it was a Northern Brewer recipe: Spiced Winter Ale.  Give it a look.  If it happens to not be there search for it on the Midwest Supply site.  One of them definitely has it.  It was a very good recipe--still have a lot left over.  I used the Wyeast option and added dried sweet orange peels.  Good luck. :)

DrMJG and Big Sarge like this

Many of the holiday recipes that I've seen for Christmas beers are Ales and not Lagers.  I've seen things added such as Cinnamon, Ginger, Orange Peel, (VERY LITTLE) Clove and nutmeg.  I was thinking about doing a wassale, which would be part apple cider and part ale, with various holiday flavors.

Also, don't shy away from fruit wheat beers.  I'm going to do a cranberry wheat, and might do either a cherry wheat or a blueberry wheat as well.

And, yes, I do agree too.  Mr. Beer should have some holiday flavor recipes.  Hint Hint.

AnthonyC likes this

if I find some time today at work (possible as of right now), I'll do some web searching for Christmas recipes and if I do, I'll post them

BradsBeer likes this

51 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

Many of the holiday recipes that I've seen for Christmas beers are Ales and not Lagers.  I've seen things added such as Cinnamon, Ginger, Orange Peel, (VERY LITTLE) Clove and nutmeg.  I was thinking about doing a wassale, which would be part apple cider and part ale, with various holiday flavors.

Also, don't shy away from fruit wheat beers.  I'm going to do a cranberry wheat, and might do either a cherry wheat or a blueberry wheat as well.

And, yes, I do agree too.  Mr. Beer should have some holiday flavor recipes.  Hint Hint.

Mini,

I made something very similar to what you're describing last year, and it was a big (and potent) hit.  It was a 2.5g mix of the Mr. Beer kit for Hard Pear Cider & CAL and 1/4 cup of a spiced apple cider mix (the kind that has sugar as well).  Honestly, it was great & I've been longing to make more.  Good luck!  👍🏽😀🐿

37 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

if they only still made the Pear Cider mix

Substitute it with the Hard Apple.  There is minimal, if any, difference in the taste.  Oh, I forgot to mention that I lactose bombed the heck out of it as well.

Still doing research, but here are some thoughts.  Note that I'm not going to post any exact recipes here in case they are considered "propietery", but if you want more info, send me a message.

From what I've seen in my alternet stock pile of recipes, most are going with 1 cup of honey, zest of two medium oranges, 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon and one teaspoon of ginger.  If you want to add cloves, recommend not more than 1/8 teaspoon.  Also, if you like almond, no more than 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract. 

An easier option?  Search the web for "mulling spices".  Mr. Beer has a couple of good recipes with mulling spices that would fit nicely for the holidays, such as KT's Carmel Apple Graff and Mulled Cider (not a beer, but I wonder about adding an HME like a CAL, and that would make the Wassale I keep claiming I will make).  Do some reasearch on them, as different brands have different ingredients.  I'm wondering if some mulling spices work better for Halloween while others better for Christmas.

You could do the spices with just about any of the HME's such as Bavarian Weissbier (for a wheat flavor), Czech Pilsner, Canadian Blonde, Ameican Ale/Lager/CAL, Nut Brown Ale (Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don')........all depends on what flavor you want as the base.  If you want more malt, replace the booster with one of the LME or DMEs recommeded for your base HME under the Deluxe Refills section of the store.

You could also replace the orange zest with the Oregon fruit sold here, if you have a different fruit flavor preference.  Tart or sweet cherries work well for holiday beers.  I'm going to try a wheat beer but instead of Oregon fruit here, I'm going to add a can of cranberries (not the Ocean Spray gel, but more the one with whole berries)

If that doesn't make your head start spinning, I'll keep throwing more ideas at you. 

MRB Tim, BradsBeer and TonyKZ1 like this

@MRB Tim, instead of writing something up, brew something up.  If it works out, publish the recipe in the store so that we can all buy it.

And PS, I'm Eastern Daylight Time, so I had a 3 hour advantage over you :D

hotrod3539 and BradsBeer like this

What do you think of this Cherry Christmas Porter?

- American Porter HME

- LME Robust

- Dark Sweet Cherries in Heavy Syrup

-Tettnanger Pellet Hops

- 1 cup of honey

- 1 tablespoon Allspice

- 1 cinnamon stick

- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract

- Safbrew S-33 Dry Ale Yeast

1. Using a measuring cup, pour 6 cups of water into your clean 3-quart or larger pot.
  2. Add 4 oz.  of Chocolate Malt  to the Muslin Grain Sack and bring your water up to above 155 degrees F.
  3. Add the grain sack to the hot water and steep for 30 minutes between 155-165 degrees. 
  4. Carefully lift the grain sack out of the pot and place into a strainer/colander. Rinse the sack over the pot with 1 cup of hot water. Let drain. Do NOT squeeze the grain bag. Discard grain bag.
  5. Remove the yeast packet from under the lid of the Brewing Extract, then place the unopened can in hot tap water.
  6. Bring the grain water to a boil, add tettnanger hops to muslin sack, toss into the grain water.  Then remove from heat.
  7. Open the can of American Porter HME and the LME Softpack and pour the contents into the hot mixture. Add cinnamon stick, allspice and vanilla extract.  Stir until thoroughly mixed
  8. Fill keg with refrigerated water to the #1 mark on the back.
  9. Pour the wort into the keg, then bring the volume of the keg to the #2 mark by adding more cold water. Stir vigorously with the spoon or whisk.
  10. Sprinkle the S-33 yeast packet into the keg, and screw on the lid. Do not stir.
  11. After one week of fermentation, put whole can of cherries in blender.  Strain thru strainer, pour cherry juice into LBK.  Spoon cherry pulp into muslin sack, tie off and add to LBK.  Add 1 cup of honey to LBK.
  12. Brew for two more weeks then bottle.
TonyKZ1, MiniYoda and Bonsai & Brew like this

I would remove the cherries and the honey...

Presto...  Spiced Winter Porter!  😀👍🏽

1 tablespoon of allspice is a lot...  and that's from a guy who goes big on flavor.

1 hour ago, BradsBeer said:

What do you think of this Cherry Christmas Porter?

- American Porter HME

- LME Robust

- Dark Sweet Cherries in Heavy Syrup

-Tettnanger Pellet Hops

- 1 cup of honey

- 1 tablespoon Allspice

- 1 cinnamon stick

- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract

- Safbrew S-33 Dry Ale Yeast

1. Using a measuring cup, pour 6 cups of water into your clean 3-quart or larger pot.
  2. Add 4 oz.  of Chocolate Malt  to the Muslin Grain Sack and bring your water up to above 155 degrees F.
  3. Add the grain sack to the hot water and steep for 30 minutes between 155-165 degrees. 
  4. Carefully lift the grain sack out of the pot and place into a strainer/colander. Rinse the sack over the pot with 1 cup of hot water. Let drain. Do NOT squeeze the grain bag. Discard grain bag.
  5. Remove the yeast packet from under the lid of the Brewing Extract, then place the unopened can in hot tap water.
  6. Bring the grain water to a boil, add tettnanger hops to muslin sack, toss into the grain water.  Then remove from heat.
  7. Open the can of American Porter HME and the LME Softpack and pour the contents into the hot mixture. Add cinnamon stick, allspice and vanilla extract.  Stir until thoroughly mixed
  8. Fill keg with refrigerated water to the #1 mark on the back.
  9. Pour the wort into the keg, then bring the volume of the keg to the #2 mark by adding more cold water. Stir vigorously with the spoon or whisk.
  10. Sprinkle the S-33 yeast packet into the keg, and screw on the lid. Do not stir.
  11. After one week of fermentation, put whole can of cherries in blender.  Strain thru strainer, pour cherry juice into LBK.  Spoon cherry pulp into muslin sack, tie off and add to LBK.  Add 1 cup of honey to LBK.
  12. Brew for two more weeks then bottle.

I'm not the best at designing recipes, but I know I'd drink it!

Bonsai & Brew likes this

Ordered all the ingredients above.  I'll use less allspice say 1/2 teaspoon?   but I still want to try the cherries.  As for honey, why not?  Considering adding a few drops to each bottle instead of adding to the keg, to keep some honey taste.

the "not" would be because it gives the beer a dry taste to it.  We should probably have recommended honey malt.  As for drops of honey in each bottle.....interesting idea

BradsBeer likes this

...just don't add the honey to each bottle + the recommended amount of sugar per bottle unless you like extremely-bubbly-seltzerish beer.  

BradsBeer likes this

33 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

...just don't add the honey to each bottle + the recommended amount of sugar per bottle unless you like extremely-bubbly-seltzerish beer.  

Agreed! I was thinking of using only 1 carb drop instead of the normal 2, and add some drops of honey.

Honey malt, that sounds like a good idea.  Another beer, another new malt to try :)

AnthonyC likes this