BradsBeer

Looking for a Christmas beer recipe

32 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Whatever happened to the good 'ol days when @MRB Josh R would get us all whipped up with excitement when releasing a new recipe?!!  Thinking Lock, Stock & Barrel Imperial Stout, Chewbeerca, or Witch's Flight -- kidding, Josh, but I'd love to know the backstory of this winter warmer!🍻

I will try to throw one up tomorrow. I've been a bit busy lately with the store, I haven't had a lot of time to come on here as much as I used to, but I'm always still watching. ;)

MiniYoda and Bonsai & Brew like this

It's probably not going to make it for Christmas, but tonight after 2 weeks in the fermenter I add the mulling spices to the Mr Beer -Yule Like This Ale-  then another week in the fermenter.

Obviously I do not think far enough ahead.

Bonsai & Brew and Shrike like this

My Yule Like This Ale gets the spices next week, and bottled on the 22nd.  I'm going to give it extra conditioning time, and hope that it's ready by mid February (nice birthday gift).

76shovel likes this

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:17 PM, MRB Josh R said:

I will try to throw one up tomorrow. I've been a bit busy lately with the store, I haven't had a lot of time to come on here as much as I used to, but I'm always still watching. ;)

still waiting for you to throw one up............so to speak

dale hihn and D Kristof like this

So I brewed my christmas beer recipe on August 20 (without the honey), tried the first bottle on Thanksgiving.  I could taste the chocolate, and porter but not the cherries.  Beer was fizzy, but tasted good and not hoppy nor bitter.

Tasted a 2nd bottle last week, and it was very very bitter.  The bitterness overwhelmed the flavor and was dominant.  Not sure if it was the last one bottled or not, which would have some trub in it.

Tasted a 3rd bottle tonight, not as bitter as last one but still bitter.  Which is odd, since the first bottle was great.  What should I do?  Why are they bitter, and why was the first bottle the best so far?   Not sure if I should share these bottles with family...