Mr.Beer Community
BradsBeer

Looking for a Christmas beer recipe

5 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Whatever happened to the good 'ol days when @MRB Josh R would get us all whipped up with excitement when releasing a new recipe?!!  Thinking Lock, Stock & Barrel Imperial Stout, Chewbeerca, or Witch's Flight -- kidding, Josh, but I'd love to know the backstory of this winter warmer!🍻

I will try to throw one up tomorrow. I've been a bit busy lately with the store, I haven't had a lot of time to come on here as much as I used to, but I'm always still watching. ;)

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:17 PM, MRB Josh R said:

I will try to throw one up tomorrow. I've been a bit busy lately with the store, I haven't had a lot of time to come on here as much as I used to, but I'm always still watching. ;)

still waiting for you to throw one up............so to speak

So I brewed my christmas beer recipe on August 20 (without the honey), tried the first bottle on Thanksgiving.  I could taste the chocolate, and porter but not the cherries.  Beer was fizzy, but tasted good and not hoppy nor bitter.

Tasted a 2nd bottle last week, and it was very very bitter.  The bitterness overwhelmed the flavor and was dominant.  Not sure if it was the last one bottled or not, which would have some trub in it.

Tasted a 3rd bottle tonight, not as bitter as last one but still bitter.  Which is odd, since the first bottle was great.  What should I do?  Why are they bitter, and why was the first bottle the best so far?   Not sure if I should share these bottles with family...

On 11/16/2017 at 2:03 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

Yes add this - this one is well worth it and very spicy - I entered this in the Home Brewers contest and recieved 34 on both scores !! Both judges said need more body so already working on that for the second go around.

53533 (2).jpg

27 minutes ago, Ironman brew said:

Yes add this - this one is well worth it and very spicy - I entered this in the Home Brewers contest and recieved 34 on both scores !! Both judges said need more body so already working on that for the second go around.

53533 (2).jpg

Nice job!  I've been hoarding my Bewitched Amber Ale HMEs for other projects and (unfortunately) did not get around to brewing "Yule Like This."  Thanks for the reminder! 

Is it just me that thinks people taking someone else's recipe and submitting it to contests is wrong?  Someone else put a review on Mr. Beer saying the same thing.  I don't even see why someone is proud to win a contest when it isn't their creation.  Maybe I'm just not with the "cool kids" on this one.

12 hours ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

Is it just me that thinks people taking someone else's recipe and submitting it to contests is wrong?  Someone else put a review on Mr. Beer saying the same thing.  I don't even see why someone is proud to win a contest when it isn't their creation.  Maybe I'm just not with the "cool kids" on this one.

If I ever entered a straight-up Mr. Beer recipe in a competition,  I'd probably credit @MRB Josh R as collaborator.  From a marketing/social buzz aspect, my feeling is that Mr. Beer would be thrilled to see one of their recipes do well (or even win) in competition.  As for personal satisfaction, one still has to execute well to make any beer, so @Ironman brew should be proud of his entry.

13 hours ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

I concur.  To me, entering a Mr. Beer-based brew into a contest is like entering Progresso soup into a homemade soup contest.  Even if you steep grains and add hops, the base came from a can that someone else put together.   Sure, take pride in your end product, but I wouldn't enter it in a contest.

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

I concur.  To me, entering a Mr. Beer-based brew into a contest is like entering Progresso soup into a homemade soup contest.  Even if you steep grains and add hops, the base came from a can that someone else put together.   Sure, take pride in your end product, but I wouldn't enter it in a contest.

But a can of HME is not beer -- it is only an ingredient in the process of brewing.  Otherwise one could argue that using any LME or DME in a competition beer is somehow unethical.  Like Josh has said, judges don't care how the beer was produced -- it will be judged on its own merits and scored appropriately. 

I disagree with the idea of not entering MR Beer based brews into competitions if you want to (It will use ingredients anyone can get) - if it was that easy to make best of class brews using Mr. Beer, there might be more of them in the competitions. Mr. Beer makes it  easy to make drinkable beer, sometimes good beer but probably not often competition rating beer. (I am not intending this as a put down of the MR B brews and I intend to continue using them.)

That said, having a beer judge comment on the beer is very useful in assessing the merit of the recipe and process. Also in combating/confirming the assertion that one (or someone  :-D) cannot make really good brews using Mr. Beer ingredients and method.

If one can get the review outside of a competition fine,  but maybe it is not that easy unless you have a beer judge buddy.

Just because someone else has made the HME, does not always mean you will get a good beer out of it. (As mentioned in this forum - lol).  Even Mr Beer recognizes the limitations of beer made from extract, and sells augmenting grains and other ingredients. So to score well in a competition is an achievement to strive for.

17 hours ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

It's not just about the recipe, but about technique, sanitation, etc. I'm all for someone entering a recipe they didn't create into competition. They will still get valuable feedback which will help them create their own recipes. @Ironman brew even pointed out how he's going to tweak the recipe for a fuller body, which will pretty much make it his recipe. Many of my AG recipes are inspired by base recipes that other people wrote. There really is no such thing as an original recipe.

On 5/15/2018 at 7:21 PM, SilverBrewerWI said:

The last Club Competition for my homebrew club was everyone brewing the same recipe.  It was in fact my Blonde Ale recipe that I have won several medals in other competitions.  I did not win either, and every beer that was brewed was different from each other.

So a recipe is only a guideline, you as a brewer have to do everything else to complete that beer.  Even Anheuser Busch brewers have to blend several batches of Budweiser to get the taste just right.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:21 PM, SilverBrewerWI said:

Is it just me that thinks people taking someone else's recipe and submitting it to contests is wrong? 

My thoughts on comps are well documented, however, I do agree with you as I would state, "I wouldn't do it."  If I knowing knew it was a recipe from someone else, no, I wouldn't try to pass it as my own.  Back in the day I have brewed others recipes and I even called them "XXXXX's Porter" and so on. That sparked a huge debate here, so I wont go further than that.

With that said...

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:39 AM, MRB Josh R said:

There really is no such thing as an original recipe.

I agree with this as well. To be 100% original is darn near impossible, if not completely.