AJK Brewer

Fermenting Question

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

First time making a home brew and I only had a list of ingredients and some directions.

My quest is was it ok to pour my entire wort into my container for fermenting?  My wort

was made up of Munich Malt, Vienna and Chocolate grain, all put into a bag for steeping. Then I added DME Golden Light (Dry Extract) dissolving it in.

The added Perle boiling for 45 min and adding another round of Perle for 15 min.  I coolded to 70 deg and poured it all into my container and added yeast

then agitated for ten minutes.  So again my question is what I did ok and I will wait for 4 weeks and filter when bottling?

PLease let me know Thank you.

Recipe for Oktoberfest.jpg

Edited by AJK Brewer
adding recipe

Have absolutely no idea what you are fermenting in, but it doesn't sound like a Mr. Beer fermenter.  Don't know why you "agitated for ten minutes".  You also don't "filter" homebrew.  

In general it looks like a fair process, not knowing how much of each thing you used and what yeast, and what temp you are fermenting at, it is tough to guess the result.

As long as you were less agitated than the yeast and it is making bubbles within days,  probably you will get beer. A dark Bock? Hmm - details are needed.

But then - what kind were you trying to make? Was it a kit?

No it was not a kit.  I had added the recipe to my original question.

You feel that it will be ok since I emptied out the entire wort in my 

MBK?

Thank you  for your response.

AJK Brewer

MrWhy likes this

Looking at the recipe, it says for 2.34 gallons, which is just the right size for the MB LBK (Little Brown Keg). I think the recipe is for a lager, so don't expect that, unless you used a lager yeast and temperatures and fermenting schedule with a rest. Otherwise you should have beer.

2 hours ago, AJK Brewer said:

No it was not a kit.  I had added the recipe to my original question.

You feel that it will be ok since I emptied out the entire wort in my 

MBK?

Thank you  for your response.

AJK Brewer

Yes, you are correct. Put the entire volume of wort into the fermenter, then the yeast will do it's beautiful magic and turn the wort into beer.

A lot of times you will need to top off with water. For example, a Mr. Beer recipe will produce say a gallon of wort, so you top off the LBK with another gallon to bring it up to 2.

Was there any sediment in the bottom of the pot? The sediment should be left in the pot when you transfer the wort to your Fermenting vessel. (there are varying opinions on this some say dump it in, some say dont... in my experience it hasnt mattered either way and once you cold crash it will compact to the bottom of the fermenter anyway) 

also, the Yeast you used looks to be a Lager Yeast, Lagers must be fermented cold. This usually means holding a wort temperature range between 48º F and 55º F depending on the strain (found on your yeast producer’s website) During fermentation. Spend this time to study up on Lagers and how to do them. Ales are a easier (and a bit more forgiving)  and are recommended for a beginning brewer until they get a good feel of the process.