Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
76shovel

Chili Beers

9 posts in this topic

Been reading about Chili beer,  There was a Mr. Beer blog very recently about brewing with chilies and coincidentally a buddy of mine mentioned he has been liking a chili beer at a local microbrewery. I can't recall ever having a chili beer so I guess I am going to have to make a point of it.  One of the MB beers is a chili porter.  My question is whether there is a suggested preference for a base beer?  Would you typically brew one from a heavier beer like a porter or maybe something lighter like MB Aztec?

Mark

21 hours ago, 76shovel said:

Been reading about Chili beer,  There was a Mr. Beer blog very recently about brewing with chilies and coincidentally a buddy of mine mentioned he has been liking a chili beer at a local microbrewery. I can't recall ever having a chili beer so I guess I am going to have to make a point of it.  One of the MB beers is a chili porter.  My question is whether there is a suggested preference for a base beer?  Would you typically brew one from a heavier beer like a porter or maybe something lighter like MB Aztec?

Mark

The Calaveras Chile stout is based off the St. Pat HME  Church Nut Brown.

You can really experiment and go with chiles in a variety of ways. I just had an absolutely outstanding saison that was spiced with habanero. I did a strong belgian style ale and spiced it with ancho chile.

Then again, I was at a microbrewery a month or so back and had a habanero IPA that was probably the worst beer I've ever had.

So I guess in short, there are a lot of ways you can go using chiles in beer.

Don't judge me toooo harshly but I just stirred some Cholula hot sauce into an ice cold Aztec. The results are ..... interesting.

11 hours ago, MrWhy said:

The Calaveras Chile stout is based off the St. Pat HME.

You can really experiment and go with chiles in a variety of ways. I just had an absolutely outstanding saison that was spiced with habanero. I did a strong belgian style ale and spiced it with ancho chile.

Then again, I was at a microbrewery a month or so back and had a habanero IPA that was probably the worst beer I've ever had.

So I guess in short, there are a lot of ways you can go using chiles in beer.

Calaveras is based off of the Churchill's Nut Brown Ale, not the St. Pat's.

It's a tasty recipe, 76shovel, definitely worth trying.  When I brewed it I used one Ancho Chile.  Next time I'm going to use two.

76shovel and MrWhy like this

9 hours ago, Shrike said:

Calaveras is based off of the Churchill's Nut Brown Ale, not the St. Pat's.

It's a tasty recipe, 76shovel, definitely worth trying.  When I brewed it I used one Ancho Chile.  Next time I'm going to use two.

Yes. Thank you! Correct my original post.

I have made the Fresco Chile Lime recipe (which uses the Aztec Cerveza as its base) a couple of times and really enjoyed it.  It is easy to adjust the number of jalapenos used to suit your tastes (i would suggest starting with 2-3 as opposed to the 5-6 called for in the recipe).  And it is a bit cheaper than the Calavera Chile Stout, as well (although I really want to try that one myself).

21 hours ago, 76shovel said:

Don't judge me toooo harshly but I just stirred some Cholula hot sauce into an ice cold Aztec. The results are ..... interesting.

I would think the vinegar in the hot sauce would be rather...unpleasant in beer.

10 minutes ago, wvu1989 said:

I have made the Fresco Chile Lime recipe (which uses the Aztec Cerveza as its base) a couple of times and really enjoyed it.  It is easy to adjust the number of jalapenos used to suit your tastes (i would suggest starting with 2-3 as opposed to the 5-6 called for in the recipe).  And it is a bit cheaper than the Calavera Chile Stout, as well (although I really want to try that one myself).

I wait until the MRB sales that they have five or six times a year to pick up the more expensive recipes.  I don't think I've ever paid full price for any that are >$30.

wvu1989 likes this

On 8/8/2017 at 6:09 PM, Shrike said:

I would think the vinegar in the hot sauce would be rather...unpleasant in beer.

It wasn't fun,

I think if I were to play with a quickie hot spice again it would just be a dash of crushed red or maybe ground cayenne pepper