Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigntall1983

What type of beer do I like?

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have never been big into craft beers (im a cheapskate), I generally drink Budweiser, Keystone Ice, Killian's Irish Red & Yungling.(90% of the time its bud or keystone)

I like Coor's Original, Sam adams, New Castle brown ale, Amber boch. But I rarely drink these.

I know I do not like Miller (any of it), Corona, Heinikin, Rolling Rock

I haven's the slightest idea what I am looking for when looking at the Mr. Beer recipes, i am definitely lost. I have been asked if I like a Hoppy beer or bitter beer.. i honestly do not know.

My Mr Beer kit came with Classic American Lager, and the Mexican Aztec. The classic american lager is currently in its 2nd week of bottle conditioning and the Aztec is in its 2nd week in the LBK. So I still have almost 3 weeks until I feel comfortable putting a bottle in the fridge to try it out.

I guess I am ignorant and do not know what im missing and once I start making GOOD beer i will never go back to that swill i have been drinking.. LOL!

Any guidance or input would be wonderful.

One thing I did was to go to various restaurants, especially those that sold lots of different beers varieties on tap.  Order the smallest size (10oz is often used) of various styles, and sample them.  Craft beer isn't about getting drunk, it's about flavors, so that's why the smaller amounts.  You will like some, not others.  Everyone has their own style that they like (I don't like hop bitterness, love wheat, and contrary to you, I like Miller Light over Bud).  Most menus will include the IBU number.  This is International Bittering Units, a measure of how much hop flavor is in a beer.  Start with lower numbers, and work your way up until you find your preferred level. I like below 30, some people won't do anything unless it is above 70.

If made well, you should like your first two batches.  Look into the Bavarian Weissbier and Czech Pilsner under standard refill, as they are a step up from American beers.  Find the basic HME that you like, then look at the recipes Mr. Beer has to enhance more flavors.

And as always, if you have any questions about recipes, beer styles, or flavors, please feel free to ask.  Most of the folks here have brewed many of the styles on this site, and have tasted even more than that.

epete28 and Bonsai & Brew like this

I would suggest you visit a local bar that offers craft beers and get a flight of 6 or 8 and try them.  Sam Adams makes a lot of different beers...

Classic American Light takes like nothing, i.e. Bud.  Aztec is very bland also.

Each refill is completely described on the Mr. Beer site.  I would suggest the Oktoberfest.

Oktoberfest and American lager might suit your taste buds. It is difficult to compare craft beers to MB, as most MB brews are really ales, which have different flavor profiles than lagers. The beers you describe that you like are generally mildly hopped, lighter body, clean finish, no bold flavors. Try some ales at a local brew house and see what you like. If you are lucky, and the place is really local, you might catch one of the brew masters or a knowledgeable bar keep. Good luck and keep posting.  

Thanks for the info! I will take all of it into account.

8 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

One thing I did was to go to various restaurants, especially those that sold lots of different beers varieties on tap.  Order the smallest size (10oz is often used) of various styles, and sample them.  Craft beer isn't about getting drunk, it's about flavors, so that's why the smaller amounts.  You will like some, not others.  Everyone has their own style that they like (I don't like hop bitterness, love wheat, and contrary to you, I like Miller Light over Bud).  Most menus will include the IBU number.  This is International Bittering Units, a measure of how much hop flavor is in a beer.  Start with lower numbers, and work your way up until you find your preferred level. I like below 30, some people won't do anything unless it is above 70.

If made well, you should like your first two batches.  Look into the Bavarian Weissbier and Czech Pilsner under standard refill, as they are a step up from American beers.  Find the basic HME that you like, then look at the recipes Mr. Beer has to enhance more flavors.

And as always, if you have any questions about recipes, beer styles, or flavors, please feel free to ask.  Most of the folks here have brewed many of the styles on this site, and have tasted even more than that.

I will look into both of those refills, thanks @MiniYoda, May the Force be with you

8 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I would suggest you visit a local bar that offers craft beers and get a flight of 6 or 8 and try them.  Sam Adams makes a lot of different beers...

Classic American Light takes like nothing, i.e. Bud.  Aztec is very bland also.

Each refill is completely described on the Mr. Beer site.  I would suggest the Oktoberfest.

I know I like Sam Adams Boston Lager and Oktoberfest. The only issue with the descriptions on the refills is that I have never tried or heard of a lot of the beers that the refill is compared to.  I will probably start getting refills that are on sale or that are cheap and just make them and try it. I will drink just about anything, I just drink it faster if I do not like it =p

49 minutes ago, Brian N. said:

Oktoberfest and American lager might suit your taste buds. It is difficult to compare craft beers to MB, as most MB brews are really ales, which have different flavor profiles than lagers. The beers you describe that you like are generally mildly hopped, lighter body, clean finish, no bold flavors. Try some ales at a local brew house and see what you like. If you are lucky, and the place is really local, you might catch one of the brew masters or a knowledgeable bar keep. Good luck and keep posting.  

My American Lager will be ready to drink in a few weeks so we shall see! I do think Oktoberfest will be on my list to make soonish.

I've found that my homemade beer is really so much more delicious than the store stuff. I ended up buying a spectrum of Mr Beer kits to see what I liked best; even some I don't normally like (figured that if I didn't like it one of my friends would - beer is never wasted and the best beer is shared beer).

Currently I like the Bewitched Amber Ale, but I even liked the American Porter - and I'm not usually a fan of porters.

Now that I know what I like, I'm thinking about trying some ingredient variations on my next batches.

Have fun and let us know what find!