Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brewer

diastatic power

6 posts in this topic

If a grain has 0 L diastatic power (for example, chocolate malt) does that mean that there is essentially no starch in the grain because of the way it has been kilned as well as no enzymes) and so if I add this to my wort should I expect no increase in gravity and "only" added color and flavor, or will the enzymes in the wort convert whatever starches are in the chocolate malt to fermentable sugars? Thanks, as always

Zero diastatic power means the grains have no power to convert starch into sugar, in short, the enzymes are destroyed in the kilning process.   Specialty malts, like Chocolate Malt, are used to enhance flavor, add color, and complexity to a beer.  While there are no enzymes to convert sugars, there are some sugars.  That's why people often add enough base malt to convert the sugars.

The impact on gravity from using a specialty malt can be seen with a brewing calculator such as QBrew.  Of course with something like Chocolate Malt you are adding very little to the overall batch, so the impact of the sugars is slight.

kedogn, Brewer, efdbrian and 1 other like this

8 hours ago, Brewer said:

If a grain has 0 L diastatic power (for example, chocolate malt) does that mean that there is essentially no starch in the grain because of the way it has been kilned as well as no enzymes) and so if I add this to my wort should I expect no increase in gravity and "only" added color and flavor, or will the enzymes in the wort convert whatever starches are in the chocolate malt to fermentable sugars? Thanks, as always

Are you asking if you make a Mr beer recipe and then "mash" with the wort will it convert the grain with no diastatic power?

@ Creeps McLane, Yes. Am I asking whether I can expect the gravity to rise if I add say 2-4 oz of chocolate malt to LME or if this wil simply add more flavor and color.

43 minutes ago, Brewer said:

@ Creeps McLane, Yes. Am I asking whether I can expect the gravity to rise if I add say 2-4 oz of chocolate malt to LME or if this wil simply add more flavor and color.

No. It will only add flavor, color, and some complexity through body, mouthfeel, etc. There is some fermentable sugar in chocolate malt, but only trace amounts that won't really effect your gravity. The roasting process that makes chocolate malt destroys most of the fermentable sugars in the malt. This is true for all dark/black malts.

hotrod3539 and Brian N. like this