Ron Howard Dawson

Grain freshness

15 posts in this topic

I'm brewing the American porter recipie tonight, with a robust LME. Right now I'm steeping 2oz of chocolate malt that I had left over from my stickey wicket oatmeal stout recipie. The thing is, I didn't refrigerate the left over grains that I'm using. They have been in the Mr beer bag inside a Tupperware container for more than a few months now. I'm hoping this won't be an issue. My LHBS has literally barrels of grains for sale by weight that aren't kept cold.

That's good to know. I figured it would be alright, but I thought I should throw it on the forum and see what others think.

slightly off topic, but, I visited a large brewery in San Francisco last week and they didn't have any of their grains refrigerated either.

I would imagine the grains don't sit around too long anyway to get old in their brewery.

They had what he called a "super sack" of Pilsen malt, weighing in at 2,200 lbs hanging from a steel rack. After seeing that, I didn't have the heart to say I'm a home brewer that sometimes uses 2, maybe 4 ounces of malt in my recipies.  

Shrike and AnthonyC like this

ive used carapils that was in a lunch bag (paper) stored in a bottom drawer with my brewing equipment for over a year, but uncracked.  it still worked just as well.  youre fine.  if you crushed the grain and let it sit in open air for years I would say ... meh... but you didn't.

I doubt anyone's taste buds are so highly tuned that they can taste the difference in beer made with freshly crushed malt vs stuff that came out of a Tupperware from several months ago.

AnthonyC likes this

Crushed vs whole is different, as noted.  Stored in container, in frig, once crushed.

2 oz of chocolate malt will be fine, just some flavor and color.

There are many different thoughts on storing grains.  Some swear by storing in the fridge while others say to never store in fridge.

I store my grains in vacuum sealed bags in a sealed bucket in my basement.  I have used crushed smoked malt that was over a year old without any issues.  Uncrushed grains should last for a long time (several years) if kept in a cool dry place.

AnthonyC, Shrike and TonyKZ1 like this

seal crushed grain in a ziplock bag and put that in a Tupperware with a lid... keep it in a relatively stable temp with low humidity.  it should last quite a while. 

1 hour ago, zorak1066 said:

seal crushed grain in a ziplock bag and put that in a Tupperware with a lid... keep it in a relatively stable temp with low humidity.  it should last quite a while. 

I keep mine double-bagged in Ziplock brand bags.  When I add them to the bag I roll them to get as much air out as I possibly can.  Do you think double-bagging is suffice to replace the Tupperware factor, Zorak.  Thanks in advance!