Cammanron

Fizzy Mexican cerveza

14 posts in this topic

Ok, I've read alot about the Mexican cerveza and how long it takes to finish and I have fermented it for over 3 weeks, and currently bottle conditioning for just over three weeks and had 1 bottle in the fridge for 3 days. I opened it and I tried it and it was really fizzy (like a soda pop) and very little head retention. It also didn't taste very much like Mexican beer. 

Does it need even more bottle conditioning? I can let it sit indefinitely, but after what time will it be at optimal? 

I currently have a NW IPA Almost ready.

What size bottle was it and how much priming sugar did you use?
The consensus is that the MRB recommendation for priming sugar results in an over-carbonated beer.  Here's a thread that discusses better recommendations.  I keep things simple:

12 oz. bottle = 1/2 tsp (one Domino's Dot)
16-17 oz. bottle = 1 tsp (two Domino's Dots)

I vary it slightly based on style of beer I'm making, but for the most part that's my method.

As for head retention, that's not uncommon with extract brews.  Once you make the step up to partial-mash brews you'll notice that the addition of grains helps with the head.  I steep some carapils with every recipe I make just to help with body and head retention.

As a side note, head retention isn't an indicator of the quality of a brew.  I was at a brew pub last weekend and had these two beers.  Neither of them had much head to speak of but both were quite tasty.

TonyKZ1 likes this

I agree with all of the comments here. The nature of extract news has head retention as a reality. (I made this mistake, as well.) cut back by 1/4 tsp on all the recommendations for MrB. and the fizzy quality will go away, for the most part.

AnthonyC likes this

5 minutes ago, DrMJG said:

I agree with all of the comments here. The nature of extract news has head retention as a reality. (I made this mistake, as well.) cut back by 1/4 tsp on all the recommendations for MrB. and the fizzy quality will go away, for the most part.

Nailed it!

18 hours ago, Shrike said:

What size bottle was it and how much priming sugar did you use?
The consensus is that the MRB recommendation for priming sugar results in an over-carbonated beer.  Here's a thread that discusses better recommendations.  I keep things simple:

12 oz. bottle = 1/2 tsp (one Domino's Dot)
16-17 oz. bottle = 1 tsp (two Domino's Dots)

I vary it slightly based on style of beer I'm making, but for the most part that's my method.

As for head retention, that's not uncommon with extract brews.  Once you make the step up to partial-mash brews you'll notice that the addition of grains helps with the head.  I steep some carapils with every recipe I make just to help with body and head retention.

As a side note, head retention isn't an indicator of the quality of a brew.  I was at a brew pub last weekend and had these two beers.  Neither of them had much head to speak of but both were quite tasty.

Thanks, it was the 740ml bottles and used the 2 1/2 tsp. recommendation. I don't have a problem with how bubbly it is, just the taste right now. I am going to let them bottle condition for a couple more weka, but I hope they will taste more like Mexican beer later. 

Looking at my schedule, I brewed it June 22, bottled July 24, and bottle conditioned since then. I'll give then 2 more weeks, then try one after 3 days in the fridge. 

I'll be trying a NWIPA before then.

DrMJG likes this

Be careful with fermenting time as, from what I have been told, you could get an off taste.  3 weeks is the usual MB recommendation and, 4 won't hurt.  And while you were but a five days longer, it could have offed the taste a bit. Conditioning is not much of a factor in terms of length.

I was tasting it after 3 weeks, then after 4 weeks... There wasn't any taste difference between the two. 

Yeah... i was tasting it a couple of times after 3 weeks and it didn't change. Still cidery. It does seem ok tho... just too bubbly. Tastes ok,  just NOT like Mexican beer.

On a side note.... I wish I could get access to the full Mr.Beer inventory at a reasonable price here in Canada... The shipping is almost % 200 more than the cost of the product.

A $23 costs $64 after shipping.

Cidery will reduce over time during conditioning.  If it doesn't go away (6 weeks), then it's likely due to fermenting too warm.  

Canada always comes up for Canadians.  Amazon is a viable solution for many.

Nothing unique to Amazon Canada for private sellers to attempt to rip off consumers.  One has to look harder...

Amazon sells many for $25 or a bit more Canadian.  That's $20 US, with free shipping, comparable to $17.95 plus shipping.

https://www.amazon.ca/Mr-Beer-Canadian-Blonde-Homebrewing/dp/B008UQ5CF4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502736041&sr=8-2&keywords=mr%2Bbeer&th=1

$34.95 Canadian ($28 US) for Craft Series - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B009JAKTF8/ref=twister_B00WOAN3TE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I've seen those, but they are the basic kits... No LME booster packs. Walmart here actually has alot more selection with free shipping over $50 (2 kits). 

I think what I'm gonna do in the future is to get the basic kits, and then go to my local brewing supply store for ingredients and advice to make some 'comperable' recipes from Mr Beer recipes. Who knows, they may actually turn out good. LOL.

Craft Series doesn't need additional LME or DME, but the base refills definitely benefit from them.