Mr.Beer Community
EwanRGR

Would Apples help?

Working my way through the recipes/kits I have bought over the last couple months (just bottled my Angry Bovine on Friday), and am still trying to figure out what to do with the American lager that came with my initial kit. I've never been a big fan of f'in close to water beer, but I don't like the idea of just throwing it out either. It occurred to me that if I cut up some apples that perhaps I'd get closer to a cider flavor I'd actually enjoy. Been then I thought that the yeast that comes with the kit might not do well with the addition.

Thoughts?

I'm no guru but I'd probably add in an LME and a bag of hops just to see what happens.   I just did that with the American lager,  A bag of nugget hops for a few minutes in the boiling water, remove from heat then add the Extract and a Smooth LME.  I guess I'll know a lot more about it around Sept 1st.

I like @AnthonyC's idea.

Here's what I did with mine. Like others suggested, I took some DME and hops to make a small wort. To that I added the can of HME. In my case I used Centennial and Cascade that I grew and I didn't use a whole lot of DME. The end result was sort of like a session IPA. Keep in mind when I did it, I didn't have any of the booster packs.

Title: MRB CAL Session IPA

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 30 min
Batch Size: 2.13 gallons (fermentor volume)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.008
ABV (standard): 4.23%
IBU (tinseth): 56.07
SRM (morey): 4.09

FERMENTABLES:
1.82 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light - (late addition)  (78.4%) *This is the can of HME
0.5 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light - (late addition)  (21.6%)

HOPS:
0.16 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 15.66 *added to approx the IBU of the can of HME
0.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 31.54
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 8.87

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

American (Dads) Cream Ale (Amer Lager + Pale + honey)   was nice. Light and dry but not hoppy

This I noted was wonderfully hop fruity but not terribly bitter. This I would make again.

Experimental IPA
American Lager HME, 8oz Pale DME, 4 oz Amber DME,
Grain 30 min  4 oz 2 row, 4oz Carapils, 2 oz Victory, 2 oz Vienna
17 IBU base from HME, adds Hops Simcoe 10 min boil, Citra 5 min boil, HBC 438 at Flameout and HBC 438 dry hop 7 days. All adds 0.5 oz.
US-05 yeast.

I tried making Boston Lager from it - it was nowhere close. I have a different recipe now.