Neub7

LBK location question

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.  I have a question about temperature ranges and LBK location . I currently have a batch of CAL conditioning .  I have a batch of Irish stout fermenting and a batch of Bavarian wheat fermenting.  My question is that my basement fluctuates temperature a little bit between 66 and 68°, But my upstairs stays a constant 73 .  Where would be the better location for the fermenting process?   I currently am fermenting downstairs and conditioning upstairs. Thank you in advance for any information 

I think what you have going is just fine. 68°F is great. Just remember that during high krausen, the temp inside the LBK will be slightly higher than the ambient temp of the room. Now, how much higher I'm unsure of. 

Basement.

Now, having said that, fermentation creates heat so the temperature of the wort itself can rise 6-10 degrees F.  Regardless of where you have the LBK, you may get some off flavors due to that.

Here are a couple of good threads on temperature:

hotrod3539 likes this

You're a few degrees above where you want to be (as described by Shrike).  I've had this problem in the past & found that draping a hand towel that has been dampened with cold water helps to bring the temperature down 5-8 degrees.  I end up resoaking and reapplying 3-4 times a day.  After about 3 days I swap out the towel before the risk of bacteria occurs.  Good luck!  ???

Basement - 73 deg F is way too high. Your basement temperature of 66 deg F is the ambient air temperature.The fermenting wort will be higher, especially during the first few days of fermentation. Unless you like green apple flavors in your beer (and others) keep the temperature on the lower side. Don't worry, the yeast will do their job.

at my last place I used the unused walk in shower enclosure as a fermentation room. ambient air averaged 67f. I didn't use ice or a cooler. even though this made my inside the fermenter temps run about 4 degrees higher than optimal I never noticed any off flavors.   moving the fermenter to a chiller box with ice to keep ambient at about 62f would be more optimal.  it doesn't take much.  an igloo cooler and some frozen plastic 1 liter bottles of ice.... 

fyi.. in my experience if you start using a higher quality yeast like us04, it is more sensitive to temperature.  if you brew in ambient 73f with us04...  at peak fermentation the temp of the wort will be around 79-83f  and us04 will pee out tons of apple-like flavors.  if you use a hefe yeast it might pee out tons of banana flavors or worse, bubblegum. know your yeast. keep your yeast happy and safe(sterile environment)  to make better beer.

I have mine in the basement, in a large plastic cooler. The ambient temp is around 65 - 68 with the LBK rising to about 73 during high krausen. I'm no expert but so far it has worked well. Your basement situation sounds perfect!

Save yourself the guess work & buy the stick on strip style thermometer from any pet department or pet store.  They're the ones designed for aquariums.

IMG_0494.GIF

MichaelL likes this

16 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Save yourself the guess work & buy the stick on strip style thermometer from any pet department or pet store.  They're the ones designed for aquariums.

Oh, I like this idea. *Adds to shopping list*

Can it be reapplied and/or is it resistant to washing when I clean my LBK between batches?