MiniYoda

Cloning Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

11 posts in this topic

Anyone out there able to find this in their local liquor store?

http://www.kentuckyale.com/products/lexington-brewing-company/kentucky-bourbon-barrel-ale

Was wanting to clone it, but not sure how easy it would be.  No, I haven't searched the internet (yet) for bourbon barrel ales, so I'm sure there are plenty of recipes out there.  But I'm wondering if it would be possible to get close to this beer by taking the Bourbon Stout recipe in Mr. Beer's store and convert it.  I'd start with changing the base HME from Stout to American Ale, the LME from Smooth to Pale, and then altering the grains.  If anyone can get this beer in their store, and wants the challenge of cloning it, let me know.

And if you can't get this beer, but still want the challenge of cloning it............let me know  ;)

MRB Josh R likes this

2 American Lager HMEs (the ale will be too bitter for this recipe)

2 Golden LME Softpack

4 oz Carapils

4 oz Crystal 40

2 oz Aromatic Malt (optional, but recommended if you can get it)

1 packet Fuggles or Goldings hops (add at flameout)

Safale S-04 yeast

This should get you pretty close. The IBUs will be slightly higher at 21 instead of 19 and the ABV will be around 8.4 instead of 8.2 (though you might get about 8.0-8.2 because my software is always slightly high in the numbers). Brew it as you would the Lock, Stock, and Barrel, with the bourbon and wood, but there will be no hop boil.

MRB Tim, MichaelL, MiniYoda and 1 other like this

On 8/23/2017 at 1:36 PM, MRB Josh R said:

2 American Lager HMEs (the ale will be too bitter for this recipe)

2 Golden LME Softpack

4 oz Carapils

4 oz Crystal 40

2 oz Aromatic Malt (optional, but recommended if you can get it)

1 packet Fuggles or Goldings hops (add at flameout)

Safale S-04 yeast

This should get you pretty close. The IBUs will be slightly higher at 21 instead of 19 and the ABV will be around 8.4 instead of 8.2 (though you might get about 8.0-8.2 because my software is always slightly high in the numbers). Brew it as you would the Lock, Stock, and Barrel, with the bourbon and wood, but there will be no hop boil.

How do I order just the American Lager HME off the website?

MiniYoda likes this

Go to the main Mr.  Beer web page, and from there, click on Refills/Recipes on the top of the screen.  Then click on Standard Refills.  You should be able to see the HME from there

On 11/23/2017 at 4:20 PM, David Coburn said:

How do I order just the American Lager HME off the website?

I think you have to call them to order just the HME.

Used to be under "Beer Ingredients" you could get just the can and save $1.00.  Now only 4 refills show there...

On 11/23/2017 at 5:49 PM, David Coburn said:

Yeah they only have it with the 2 booster's and cleaners

I would go ahead and get the boosters/cleaners.  They both last a very long time, and the boosters could be added to another recipe in the future to kick the ABV a notch.  Cleaners are always needed.