Mr.Beer Community
AnthonyC

Pumpkin IPA

I have 2 cans of Diablo IPA that are rapidly approaching their best by dates.  I was thinking about giving a pumpkin IPA a try using 1 can of Diablo as the base.  I have never tried the Diablo straight up, so do you think that it's hoppy enough or will it benefit from a 60min 1/2oz Fuggles addition?  Here is the possible plan:

1 can of Diablo HME

Steep .25 Munich & .5lb of Maris Otter @ 150 for 30mins

If I use the Fuggles I'll throw in 1cup of Pilsen light dme for the boil

1tsp McCormicks Pumpkin Pie Spice

2lbs of Libby's Pure Pumpkin Purée 

Safale US-05

Thoughts:

1. The Pilsen light dme will possibly give the beer an orange hue after being added to the hme.

2. Definitely not looking for the hops to be the prime flavor.

3. 2 weeks at 65*, 1 week at 40* NO SECONDARY, condition for 2.5wks max (it's an IPA)

4. Pumpkin/spices added in the last 5mins of boil (purée will be caramelized)

5. ANY input would be most appreciated!  ????

23 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

will it benefit from a 60min 1/2oz Fuggles addition?

I think that would get drowned out by the existing bittering hops and would serve better as aroma hops at flameout. Everything else looks spot on to me. One of these days I'll need to do a side-by-side boil vs late pumpkin/spice addition to see which is really better. 

Just now, AnthonyC said:

just using the Diablo, is Hops going to be the main aroma?

If you don't want a hoppy beer, the Diablo is probably the wrong extract to use. It is definitely a great IPA, and I think it would make a great pumpkin IPA, but an IPA without much hop aroma is kind of a paradox, isn't it? Maybe a Northwest Pale would be more what you had in mind, I would call both Diablo and LP pretty hoppy. 

1 minute ago, MRB Tim said:

If you don't want a hoppy beer, the Diablo is probably the wrong extract to use. It is definitely a great IPA, and I think it would make a great pumpkin IPA, but an IPA without much hop aroma is kind of a paradox, isn't it? Maybe a Northwest Pale would be more what you had in mind, I would call both Diablo and LP pretty hoppy. 

Thank you, Tim.  I think I'm gonna go ahead and use the Diablo.  To me it's about taste more than aroma anyway.  I will keep you posted on the progress.  Thanks again!!

I think you are in the right ballpark with the pumpkin spices. As always it's better to go easy and then you can add more when fermentation is complete if needed.

I'm not sure about the amount of pumpkin puree. The cans are 15oz and I used 2 in a 5 gallon batch last year. I don't remember if that measurement is volume or weight though. Most of the perceived pumpkin flavor comes from the spices. What's your plan on caramelizing the puree?

8 hours ago, efdbrian said:

I think you are in the right ballpark with the pumpkin spices. As always it's better to go easy and then you can add more when fermentation is complete if needed.

I'm not sure about the amount of pumpkin puree. The cans are 15oz and I used 2 in a 5 gallon batch last year. I don't remember if that measurement is volume or weight though. Most of the perceived pumpkin flavor comes from the spices. What's your plan on caramelizing the puree?

Spread it out on a 6x8x2 baking pan & bake at 300 for about an hour or until the top begins to tan.  Nothing unusual.  

I made this yesterday.  Not sure how it's going to come out, but it smelled great.  This is how it went:

1 Diablo IPA

1 Cup of Pilsen Light DME (it's all I had other than wheat)

1/2 tsp of McCormick's Pumkin Pie Spice

1 large can of Libby's Pure Pumpkin Purée 

.25 cup each of the following (2-row, caramel 20, oats) 

Process:

Pumpkin baked at 300 for an hour +/- 10mins

Grains steeped @ 150 for 30mins

Grains removed, Added 4cups of water, Added DME and boil for 10mins

At the 5min mark added Pie Spice

Remove from heat, add HME 

Pour into LBK, check to make sure that it is at the correct mark

Cooled to 70 +/- 2*

Added Yeast (did a 12hr starter for this...  just because)

**the yeast was Nottingham Ale Yeast--exp. date 3/2017--kept in fridge**

Added caramelized pumpkin IN HOP SACK! (some said add at 2wks, some said add now...  both sides made the same claim--spices, not pumpkin, give you the flavor.

Post Brew:

Ferment at 68-70 for 2wks, into fridge for final week.  

Bottle condition with light brown sugar, sugar, brown sugar (maybe 2of them)

Conditioning Length:  hoping 4wks max.

Just checked and it is fermenting away.  Fingers crossed!