Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
epete28

Krausen Duration?

13 posts in this topic

Is there a timeframe that the foam layer should hang around? I pitched about 5 days ago, and it is still very thick, creamy even, although it has dropped some. At its peak it nearly made it to the lid. I can't remember ever having one last this long, but I've never had an OG this high either. It's US-05 yeast.

I did a little searching and I found some pics that people posted of when they used US-05, and it looked exactly the same. I've used it before, but didn't remember it looking that way.

Shrike likes this

7 hours ago, epete28 said:

Is there a timeframe that the foam layer should hang around? I pitched about 5 days ago, and it is still very thick, creamy even, although it has dropped some. At its peak it nearly made it to the lid. I can't remember ever having one last this long, but I've never had an OG this high either. It's US-05 yeast.

It's not always going to look the same every time. It will depend on the recipe ingredients, age of yeast, gravity, water, temperature, etc. So, no, there is no time frame.

kedogn, epete28, Brian N. and 1 other like this

epete28, you sound just like me. Always concerned about the details. Wondering what's up with everything that's happening with our brews. The details and fine points. I'm always peaking at my ferment wondering if it looks weird. (My last foamed less than any other - what's up with that?)

Great to read ya.

(Oh yeah, and Creeps - Go Pack Go!!!!)

epete28 and Creeps McLane like this

8 minutes ago, WisconsinBadger said:

epete28, you sound just like me. Always concerned about the details. Wondering what's up with everything that's happening with our brews. The details and fine points. I'm always peaking at my ferment wondering if it looks weird. (My last foamed less than any other - what's up with that?)

Great to read ya.

(Oh yeah, and Creeps - Go Pack Go!!!!)

Man, I've got 2 fermenting right now, days apart, totally different yeasts, and I'm comparing them! Lol

WisconsinBadger likes this

no two batches are identical. ive had one batch with us04 go nutso quick.. high krausen in a day, drop three days later. ive had sluggish with moderate krausen that hung around for over a week before collapsing and leaving behind a flotilla of orange / tan rafts.  I used us04 once on a hobo wine. I got a moderately high krausen of red dense foam... that dropped in 5 days... then reformed for a couple days.... then dropped...  then made a layer of bubble foam.  (beer yeast doesn't work very well on wine)

On 8/26/2017 at 9:23 AM, epete28 said:

I've had the foam layer dissipate after 4 or 5 days, and I've had it kinda hang around the entire duration of fermentation.  25+ brews in, have never had an issue.

Kevin

My current brew real cooked up a high krausen like no other brew to date.  But, as this formula had a good amount of additional ingredients, I took it as a unique event.  It took a full week to settle down.  What I have done was put observations from all of my batches to date.  Patterns will emerge.  In studying the patters. I will gain real hands on knowledge!  

21 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

First time using k-97. Wow. Thats all ill say. After 18 days of straight thick krausen it has finally cleared. Kegging that baby tonight. 

IMG_4423.JPG

WOW! The batch I originally posted this about, I also posted about under Temps Got Out Of Control. Go check it out.

Creeps McLane likes this