Mr.Beer Community
epete28

Whispering Wheat

I brewed this recipe last night. It's my 1st partial mash. I don't think I made any mistakes, but I will do a couple things differently next time. My OG was a little lower than the target, probably because I spilled a little wort during transfer. I got 1.043 versus 1.046. Anyway, I'm excited about this beer.

On 8/27/2017 at 10:32 AM, epete28 said:

I brewed this recipe last night. It's my 1st partial mash. I don't think I made any mistakes, but I will do a couple things differently next time. My OG was a little lower than the target, probably because I spilled a little wort during transfer. I got 1.043 versus 1.046. Anyway, I'm excited about this beer.

Hey Pete. I started this one (Whispering Wheat) almost three weeks ago and plan to bottle in a couple days. Usually I cold-crash, but I'm not sure "clearing" the beer is a big deal for a Hefe. Still, I think I'll put it in the fridge for a day just to let the sediment settle.

I didn't take a hydrometer reading, since I'm trying to simplify everything in my second go-round as a brewer.

P.S.: If you made no mistakes, you're one up on me. I walked away from the brewpot to check the temp of my fermenting CAL-plus-Cascades and returned to find an emerging boil-over. Talk about fun.

Jim

56 minutes ago, jasbo said:

Hey Pete. I started this one (Whispering Wheat) almost three weeks ago and plan to bottle in a couple days. Usually I cold-crash, but I'm not sure "clearing" the beer is a big deal for a Hefe. Still, I think I'll put it in the fridge for a day just to let the sediment settle.

I didn't take a hydrometer reading, since I'm trying to simplify everything in my second go-round as a brewer.

P.S.: If you made no mistakes, you're one up on me. I walked away from the brewpot to check the temp of my fermenting CAL-plus-Cascades and returned to find an emerging boil-over. Talk about fun.

Jim

Boil over?  Now you're official, Jasbo!  ????

1 hour ago, jasbo said:

Man, I think one of my bests brews was a Canadian Blonde + 1lb light DME + Cascades!

I love wheats.  I'll do some more later this season per recipe, but right now I have two fermenting...one with a can of  blueberry and one with a can of cranberry.

And don't forget the Belgian Blanc, which I have to make this weekend for my pool friend's wife.

Yea, wrong season, but she likes Blue Moon.  And it's his pool.  and it's heated.

26 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

I love wheats.  I'll do some more later this season per recipe, but right now I have two fermenting...one with a can of  blueberry and one with a can of cranberry.

And don't forget the Belgian Blanc, which I have to make this weekend for my pool friend's wife.

Yea, wrong season, but she likes Blue Moon.  And it's his pool.  and it's heated.

Yeah, that whole "seasonal" thing doesn't stop me, lol. I had 3 tall Blue Moons at Buffalo Wild Wings yesterday. I love wheats also.

Sooo, I'm drinking the last beer from this batch right now, which was bottled on 9/17/17. It's been in the fridge 2 weeks maybe, and I'm just blown away by it. I'm drinking it super slow because I don't want it to end. I wish I would've had the patience to save more than one.

On 1/16/2018 at 3:53 PM, Shrike said:

I've got 2.5 weeks until mine hits minimum conditioning time.  I'm looking forward to trying it.

Like most of them, it definitely ages well! Don't know if its my best beer, but it's up there for sure. I'm digging my Thunder Bay pretty well too though.

On 1/21/2018 at 0:29 PM, epete28 said:

Like most of them, it definitely ages well! Don't know if its my best beer, but it's up there for sure. I'm digging my Thunder Bay pretty well too though.

I've got two different vintages of T-Bay in the fridge, really like that mix. The first was by the book, the 2nd I added 2 cups of grapefruit juice after week 2. It's pretty subtle but noticeable ( in a good way).  I have 3rd TB mix laid back but I kept putting it off. I usually put my ingredients in a freezer bag and store them in the beer fridge veggie drawer but this one I kinda forgot about and mice got a bag of grain.  Lesson learned, new supplies on the way.