epete28

Whispering Wheat

11 posts in this topic

I brewed this recipe last night. It's my 1st partial mash. I don't think I made any mistakes, but I will do a couple things differently next time. My OG was a little lower than the target, probably because I spilled a little wort during transfer. I got 1.043 versus 1.046. Anyway, I'm excited about this beer.

MichaelL, jasbo, John K. and 4 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrat's on making the move up to PM!  I look forward to hearing how this one turns out as it's one of the recipes in my "to-try" list.  Hefe's are my wife's favorite beer so I want to brew a good one for her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2017 at 10:32 AM, epete28 said:

I brewed this recipe last night. It's my 1st partial mash. I don't think I made any mistakes, but I will do a couple things differently next time. My OG was a little lower than the target, probably because I spilled a little wort during transfer. I got 1.043 versus 1.046. Anyway, I'm excited about this beer.

Hey Pete. I started this one (Whispering Wheat) almost three weeks ago and plan to bottle in a couple days. Usually I cold-crash, but I'm not sure "clearing" the beer is a big deal for a Hefe. Still, I think I'll put it in the fridge for a day just to let the sediment settle.

 

I didn't take a hydrometer reading, since I'm trying to simplify everything in my second go-round as a brewer.

 

P.S.: If you made no mistakes, you're one up on me. I walked away from the brewpot to check the temp of my fermenting CAL-plus-Cascades and returned to find an emerging boil-over. Talk about fun.

 

Jim

Shrike and AnthonyC like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, jasbo said:

Hey Pete. I started this one (Whispering Wheat) almost three weeks ago and plan to bottle in a couple days. Usually I cold-crash, but I'm not sure "clearing" the beer is a big deal for a Hefe. Still, I think I'll put it in the fridge for a day just to let the sediment settle.

 

I didn't take a hydrometer reading, since I'm trying to simplify everything in my second go-round as a brewer.

 

P.S.: If you made no mistakes, you're one up on me. I walked away from the brewpot to check the temp of my fermenting CAL-plus-Cascades and returned to find an emerging boil-over. Talk about fun.

 

Jim

Boil over?  Now you're official, Jasbo!  ????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jasbo said:

 

P.S.: If you made no mistakes, you're one up on me. I walked away from the brewpot to check the temp of my fermenting CAL-plus-Cascades and returned to find an emerging boil-over. Talk about fun.

Man, I think one of my bests brews was a Canadian Blonde + 1lb light DME + Cascades!

Bonsai & Brew likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This beer has been conditioning for 4 weeks now and I'm pretty pleased with already. I can only imagine what it'll be like if it survives another 4. 

Shrike and MiniYoda like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love wheats.  I'll do some more later this season per recipe, but right now I have two fermenting...one with a can of  blueberry and one with a can of cranberry.

 

And don't forget the Belgian Blanc, which I have to make this weekend for my pool friend's wife.

 

Yea, wrong season, but she likes Blue Moon.  And it's his pool.  and it's heated.

Bonsai & Brew likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

I love wheats.  I'll do some more later this season per recipe, but right now I have two fermenting...one with a can of  blueberry and one with a can of cranberry.

 

And don't forget the Belgian Blanc, which I have to make this weekend for my pool friend's wife.

 

Yea, wrong season, but she likes Blue Moon.  And it's his pool.  and it's heated.

Yeah, that whole "seasonal" thing doesn't stop me, lol. I had 3 tall Blue Moons at Buffalo Wild Wings yesterday. I love wheats also.

Bonsai & Brew likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooo, I'm drinking the last beer from this batch right now, which was bottled on 9/17/17. It's been in the fridge 2 weeks maybe, and I'm just blown away by it. I'm drinking it super slow because I don't want it to end. I wish I would've had the patience to save more than one.

Shrike and hotrod3539 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now