Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MetalKdub

Imperial Red Ale

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I am about to whip up a batch of Imperial Red Ale and was looking to kick it up a notch. I'd like some imput on how this would come out. I am thinking about adding a smooth LME and then boil some Ekuanot hops for about 10 minutes. Then as I take it off the stove I want to add another bag of Amarillo hops before adding the HME into the LBK. After 2 weeks, I would like to dry hop it with German Mandarina. Does this sounds way out there, will it be horrible? Any suggessions are welcome.

MrWhy likes this

I just didn't know if it was overkill or not. The only other time I've had this extract, I made the Millenium Falconers Flight Red and it came out awesome!

1 hour ago, MetalKdub said:

Hi, I am about to whip up a batch of Imperial Red Ale and was looking to kick it up a notch. I'd like some imput on how this would come out. I am thinking about adding a smooth LME and then boil some Ekuanot hops for about 10 minutes. Then as I take it off the stove I want to add another bag of Amarillo hops before adding the HME into the LBK. After 2 weeks, I would like to dry hop it with German Mandarina. Does this sounds way out there, will it be horrible? Any suggessions are welcome.

The IRA is a great beer to experiment with hops and more. I've got an IRA and a bunch of Chinook hops I've been waiting to brew up. But the stresses of life, heat, etc. keep foiling me.

Enough about me though, let's talk about you. 

Personally, I think you are spot on.....BUT....for the sake of brewing knowledge and reflection -

Why are adding the Amarillo at flameout and not at the 5 minute mark? What is your thought process here? What are you hoping to achieve with the dry hop of the Mandarina instead of reversing it.....Mandarina at flameout and Amarillo dry hopping?

Like I said, I think your beer is going to be outstanding, but I am always interested in why a brewer does what a brewer does.

39 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

The IRA is a great beer to experiment with hops and more. I've got an IRA and a bunch of Chinook hops I've been waiting to brew up. But the stresses of life, heat, etc. keep foiling me.

Enough about me though, let's talk about you. 

Personally, I think you are spot on.....BUT....for the sake of brewing knowledge and reflection -

Why are adding the Amarillo at flameout and not at the 5 minute mark? What is your thought process here? What are you hoping to achieve with the dry hop of the Mandarina instead of reversing it.....Mandarina at flameout and Amarillo dry hopping?

Like I said, I think your beer is going to be outstanding, but I am always interested in why a brewer does what a brewer does.

You know, I'm not really sure which hops to use when, that's why I posed this question in the first place. By switching the two hops what would the difference be?

MrWhy likes this

18 hours ago, MetalKdub said:

You know, I'm not really sure which hops to use when, that's why I posed this question in the first place. By switching the two hops what would the difference be?

I may be wrong, but here is how I look at it....

A beer is experienced in "layers." The first experience layer is color and aroma. Because of that, any dry hop is going to be what characterizes the beer. So by using German Mandarina as a dry hop, you are "coloring" everything after with that aroma. Which is not a bad choice at all! 

By adding the amarillo at flameout, you are going to get amarillo aroma that is in the background with the german mandarina in the forefront. The aroma should be really pleasing, and I think it will complement the IRA very well (which has a malty with almost IPA bitterness going on.) I think you are going to get a nice, almost west coast-ish red IPA thing going.

After the aroma comes taste and mouthfeel. Taste will be a combination of bitterness (IBUs), malt, hop flavor, and mouth feel. The IRA, mentioned, is a malty beer with a nice bitter bite.

If you push the Amarillo back a bit, into the 8 minute boil mark, you will add the amarillo flavor along with the aroma.

I love what you are doing with those hops and the IRA....you are inspiring me to get out my kettle and finally brew this chinook hopped IRA I'm sitting on.

Bonsai & Brew and MetalKdub like this

1 hour ago, MrWhy said:

I may be wrong, but here is how I look at it....

A beer is experienced in "layers." The first experience layer is color and aroma. Because of that, any dry hop is going to be what characterizes the beer. So by using German Mandarina as a dry hop, you are "coloring" everything after with that aroma. Which is not a bad choice at all! 

By adding the amarillo at flameout, you are going to get amarillo aroma that is in the background with the german mandarina in the forefront. The aroma should be really pleasing, and I think it will complement the IRA very well (which has a malty with almost IPA bitterness going on.) I think you are going to get a nice, almost west coast-ish red IPA thing going.

After the aroma comes taste and mouthfeel. Taste will be a combination of bitterness (IBUs), malt, hop flavor, and mouth feel. The IRA, mentioned, is a malty beer with a nice bitter bite.

If you push the Amarillo back a bit, into the 8 minute boil mark, you will add the amarillo flavor along with the aroma.

I love what you are doing with those hops and the IRA....you are inspiring me to get out my kettle and finally brew this chinook hopped IRA I'm sitting on.

Alright, @MrWhy, you've convinced me. What you're saying makes a lot of sense and I think I'm gonna go with it. Thank you for your suggestions and I'll let you know how it comes out. Good luck with your Chinook IRA, as well. How are you planning on making that one?

MrWhy likes this

16 hours ago, MetalKdub said:

Alright, @MrWhy, you've convinced me. What you're saying makes a lot of sense and I think I'm gonna go with it. Thank you for your suggestions and I'll let you know how it comes out. Good luck with your Chinook IRA, as well. How are you planning on making that one?

Well.....to be honest I was not trying to convince you to do anything! 

For my Chinook IRA -

The IRA has an IBU of 70 and it has an ABV of 6.5%.....SO.....

1. Add some sugar to dry it out and bring the ABV up to 8.5%. This does not make the beer "less" malty, but it will leave it as malty as it is at 8.5....meaning I want it at 8.5 but I do not want to add any more malt to get there. It is fine where it is at.

2. I've got to be easy handed with with the Chinook. It is already at 70 which is more than enough for me. At the same time I've got to go heavy because I really want Chinook to be the dominant experience. (I'm thinking I trying a Stone Arrogant Bastard-esque thing.) I've got to figure out how to get the most flavor and aroma without adding much in the way of IBUs. I am thinking doubling at 7 minutes and doubling at 5. Then for good measure giving a single at dry hop. Maybe I'll double at dry hop. With the sugar, and no steeping grains, this one may take a bit to condition and I don't want to lose that aroma.

Which means I need to secure some more chinook!!!!!

hotrod3539, kedogn and MetalKdub like this

I forgot what the coditioning time was on the IRA and it's no longer available on the website so I can't access that info. It's been 5 weeks since I bottled this, does anyone know if it's good to go yet?