Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doc280

Dividing Coopers Dark Ale, let's do this.

40 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

I expect to bottle all my 3 parts of the Coopers Dark Ale + variants next Monday.

I look forward to hearing about your results.

Nickfixit likes this

I just sampled Dark Ale 3 and ............... I am feeling light headed, starting to sweat profusely, aww the agony of it all....................................................:blink:

Nope, Dark Ale 3 is consistent with DA 1 and DA 2, in look, smell and taste, all being very good indeed. All I can report is everything is going very well.

I may crack open a few of these from DA 1, a couple days early, for Halloween.

IMG_20171016_122151-1024x768.jpg

hotrod3539 likes this

Ha that is good.

Today I bottled 2 of the 3 LBKs from my divided Dark Ale after 3 weeks.

I checked the FG using Refractometer and web calculators.  First the thing was off by zero error of about 0.5, so I fixed that.

So #1 was BRIX 6.8 starting from 8.6 giving FG way too high (1.022 ABV 1.2% Huh?) and very bubbly when poured in glass. It was also much too sweet.  See pic for fizz. So I figure that must have stalled so I added a pack of Mr B yeast and put if back to ferment more.  

#2 Smelled very citrus and aromatic and tasted good and the BRIX was 6.5 (from 12.8) giving FG target of 1.010 as planned. It tasted a little like Citra hop although I used HBC438. I like this hop.  ABV calculates to 5.39% against initial calculation of 5.48%. Close enough.

#3 Smelled sweet orangey and tasted a little that way too. I could drink this and #2 without any more maturing but will l see how much better it gets.  BRIX was 5.8 (from 11.8) giving FG of 1.008 for target 1.009. Considering some of my calculations were approximations that is not too bad.

ABV calculates to  5.19% vs initial calculation of 5.07%. Close enough.

Note all these LBKs were fermented using 1/3 pack of Coopers Ale Yeast (7g pack).

I have not tasted any commercial beers similar so I can tell you that is what they taste like.

I primed conservatively. -  0.5 sugar dot per 12 oz., 1 sugar dot per 750 ml., 2 sugar dots per 1L. I don't like my dark beer real fizzy anyway.

DA#1 fizz 20171016_104802.png

doc280, John K. and Shrike like this

For these Dark Ales I used the Dots as well. First time I have used the Dots and I have the 1/2 tsp size, in which I used 4 to each 740 ml. bottle. I for one hate a flat ale and I must be one of the few who does not like stouts like Guinness because of the flat feel of the nitrogen used.

17 hours ago, doc280 said:

For these Dark Ales I used the Dots as well. First time I have used the Dots and I have the 1/2 tsp size, in which I used 4 to each 740 ml. bottle. I for one hate a flat ale and I must be one of the few who does not like stouts like Guinness because of the flat feel of the nitrogen used.

That may be pretty foamy. Did you use 2 tsp priming sugar before, when not using dots?

I have found 3 dots in a 750 will often give me a gusher - even after 3 weeks fermenting.

Also now  the recalcitrant LBK#1 is bubbling some and making nice fermenting smells - now I put new yeast in and it is warmer due to heating and cooler weather. So I guess I will check it in a week.

1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

That may be pretty foamy. Did you use 2 tsp priming sugar before, when not using dots?

I have found 3 dots in a 750 will often give me a gusher - even after 3 weeks fermenting.

Also now  the recalcitrant LBK#1 is bubbling some and making nice fermenting smells - now I put new yeast in and it is warmer due to heating and cooler weather. So I guess I will check it in a week.

My other batches, which consist of two Church Hills and one American Lager, I used the supplied carb drops. I followed the the Mr. Beer instructions, so two drops in each 740ml bottle. The two Church Hills carbed up perfect, as a matter of fact, I would not change anything about Church Hill, it is great, I only have four bottles left and one more can to brew :(. Now the American Lager I have had some inconsistent results between the bottles, some are carbed up nice and other are a little flat. I did a little reading and found where Rick had addressed hearing about inconsistent results using the carb drops and recommended table sugar. I liked the idea of the dots, because of the ease of use. I also read some believe the priming sugar amounts, Mr. Beer suggest (two teaspoons 740ml bottle), are a bit high. I did think about trying different amounts, for these batches, but that would have thrown in another variable. So due to the fact I am new to all this and I don't really like low carbonated beer, following Mr. Beer's recommendation seemed best for now. I can tweak the priming sugar amounts with later batches.

I am a little confused about your #1. The same yeast was used between your three batches and it worked in #2 and #3, why not in #1? If the yeast was not working in #1 where did the bubbles come from and how did they get suspended in the liquid without pressure? Also how long can wort be kept in the LBK, without yeast, before it goes bad?

11 hours ago, doc280 said:

I am a little confused about your #1. The same yeast was used between your three batches and it worked in #2 and #3, why not in #1? If the yeast was not working in #1 where did the bubbles come from and how did they get suspended in the liquid without pressure? Also how long can wort be kept in the LBK, without yeast, before it goes bad?

I am confused too. All 3 were side by side on the floor. The #1 started much more vigorously than the other 2 and stopped earlier. The top inside of LBK1 is covered with debris left by the foaming - more than #2 or #3. They could have started at slightly different temperatures although they were all left a while to cool

This #1 had a weaker wort  and had different additions   (1/2 pack booster + 8 oz wheat DME) than the other 2.  (+ 8 oz Special Dark LME + 8 oz  spark amber +  8 oz light DME) But I am not sure why that would affect it.

The wort will contain dissolved CO2 as it enters in solution before making bubbles. The amount dissolved varies with temperature so you will see some carbonation priming calculations include wort temperature.

The wort can stay without yeast until some other organism gets in there and infects it. Good sanitation improves things but there are organisms in the air at all times.

I have waited sometimes 12 hours before pitching yeast (to allow cooling), but all recommendations seem to be to pitch as soon as possible.

doc280 likes this

Dark Ale 3 is bottled, so all I have to do is wait. 

Halfway through bottling I realized I forgot the swab and sanitize the LBK spigot. I am going to make a checklist for brew and bottle days.

2 hours ago, doc280 said:

Dark Ale 3 is bottled, so all I have to do is wait. 

Halfway through bottling I realized I forgot the swab and sanitize the LBK spigot. I am going to make a checklist for brew and bottle days.

I have never done that but probably should.

On the other hand, I have never drawn any wort/beer through the spigot before bottling anyway so nothing for any strange organisms to grow on.

9 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

I have never done that but probably should.

On the other hand, I have never drawn any wort/beer through the spigot before bottling anyway so nothing for any strange organisms to grow on.

I saw it mentioned on a video I watched, so I started the practice, dipping a Q-tip, in 1 Step solution and swab it. Being that the sample was taken and then the LBK was immediately place in the refrigerator, I think it will be Ok.

42 minutes ago, doc280 said:

I saw it mentioned on a video I watched, so I started the practice, dipping a Q-tip, in 1 Step solution and swab it. Being that the sample was taken and then the LBK was immediately place in the refrigerator, I think it will be Ok.

Love this 👇🏻. Use it all the time. I clean the spout, dunk this in sanitizer and stick it up there and leave it until im ready to transfer. 

9E26055C-E63A-4614-8A2B-F928AB3B83EC.png

hotrod3539 likes this

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:26 AM, Creeps McLane said:

Love this 👇🏻. Use it all the time. I clean the spout, dunk this in sanitizer and stick it up there and leave it until im ready to transfer. 

9E26055C-E63A-4614-8A2B-F928AB3B83EC.png

Probably good if you have a severe cold too...