Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MetalKdub

no head retention

23 posts in this topic

I have noticed the last few beers that I have brewed have little if no head retention. I am putting the right amount of sugar in each bottle and they all still taste good but once I pour it into a glass, there's no head. This has happened especially with the Horse's Ass Ale and Fresco Chile Lime Beer. Does anyone know what may cause this?

I read o the forum that it is a tendency for extract beers. However this can be remedied by adding some maltodextrin (up to 1/2 cup - no change on flavor or smell or ABV, only texture, mouthfeel and head retention)

Or adding additional malt extract (light or wheat to limit flavor/color changes but it adds ABV) or step of carapils grains (negligible ABV change, maybe some color change).

Or if you want more ABV AND the better mouth feel and head retention with no color or flavor change)  add some booster (contains maltodextrin)

hotrod3539 and MetalKdub like this

Mr. Beer/coopers/extract kits Are the cause from what i am reading, they lack head retention. There are several things that can be done, the two most popular are steeping some carapils in your water before stiring in the extract or mixing in some maltodextrin with your extract adds to the body and head retention.

MetalKdub and Nickfixit like this

1 minute ago, hotrod3539 said:

Mr. Beer/coopers/extract kits Are the cause from what i am reading, they lack head retention. There are several things that can be done, the two most popular are steeping some carapils in your water before stiring in the extract or mixing in some maltodextrin with your extract adds to the body and head retention.

I find it varies. Some are really ok on it some, the froth fades.

hotrod3539 likes this

Just now, Nickfixit said:

I just poured a Howling Red Ale, and there was a nice head on it for about 3 minutes and now, nothing. How much Carapils malt do I need to steep in a batch and for how long? Also, where can I find maltodextrin?

1 minute ago, Nickfixit said:

I think it is dependant on the style of the recipe/extract/hme and it's ingredient makeup, some may have more of the head retention properties than others. 

MetalKdub and Nickfixit like this

2 minutes ago, MetalKdub said:

I just poured a Howling Red Ale, and there was a nice head on it for about 3 minutes and now, nothing. How much Carapils malt do I need to steep in a batch and for how long? Also, where can I find maltodextrin?

I think I have seen @Shrike say he uses 2oz per batch, not sure of time though.... most  brew suppliers should have maltodextrin in their inventory.

MetalKdub likes this

1 minute ago, MetalKdub said:

Maltodextrin - online; e.g. https://www.morebeer.com/products/maltodextrin-4-oz.html

local brew store; don'tknow where you are..so......

Mr Beer - in booster

Carapils 2-4 oz crushed grains: steep about 150 deg for 30 min in bag in water to cover, strain and add liquor.

MetalKdub and hotrod3539 like this

18 minutes ago, MetalKdub said:

I have noticed the last few beers that I have brewed have little if no head retention. I am putting the right amount of sugar in each bottle and they all still taste good but once I pour it into a glass, there's no head. This has happened especially with the Horse's Ass Ale and Fresco Chile Lime Beer. Does anyone know what may cause this?

I think sometimes additives will reduce ability to keep foam but there are other things too - here are a few things to read that may help.

http://brewwiki.com/index.php/Head_Retention

https://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/12/19/beer-head-retention/

https://www.brewunited.com/index.php?blogid=170

DrMJG, MetalKdub and hotrod3539 like this

I have used oatmeal and wheat malt and found both to succeed in head retention. The last one I used oatmeal in allowed a creamy head for as long as there was some brew in the pint. Cheers!

MetalKdub likes this

My next brew will be the Golden Empire IPA so I have the Carapils malt down. I have ordered some maltodextrin online so after that I will be making an Imperial Red Ale with a smooth LME, Ekuanot, German Mandarina and Amarillo hops. Hopefully I'll have some great foam on my pours. Thank you all for your help.

hotrod3539 likes this

12 hours ago, hotrod3539 said:

I think I have seen @Shrike say he uses 2oz per batch, not sure of time though.... most  brew suppliers should have maltodextrin in their inventory.

When I do a recipe that isn't partial mash, I steep 4oz carapils for 30 minutes, sparge, then proceed with the recipe as normal.

John K., MichaelL and hotrod3539 like this

5 hours ago, MetalKdub said:

So, if I add the maltodextrin, I use it like a booster pack and stir it in the water before I boil it?

That's what I do.

MetalKdub likes this

33 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

That's what I do.

Since it is sterile and does not ferment sometimes I just add the powder to the LBKs - with sterilized measuring cup.

Hmm - Is there a correlation between fermentation with low foam and beer with low head retention? 

I would think that there should be some correlation there but I have not studied it.

Obviously some depends on the fermentation rate of the yeast, but if the dextrins do not change during fermentation I would expect there to be.

If so, then one can look at the fermentation in the LBK and if the foam is low, add maltodextrin, if you have a lot of lasting Krausen foam don't worry.

hotrod3539 and Shrike like this

2 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Since it is sterile and does not ferment sometimes I just add the powder to the LBKs - with sterilized measuring cup.

Hmm - Is there a correlation between fermentation with low foam and beer with low head retention? 

I would think that there should be some correlation there but I have not studied it.

Obviously some depends on the fermentation rate of the yeast, but if the dextrins do not change during fermentation I would expect there to be.

If so, then one can look at the fermentation in the LBK and if the foam is low, add maltodextrin, if you have a lot of lasting Krausen foam don't worry.

Interesting theory Nick! It's definitely worth some study and experimenting.

On 9/2/2017 at 6:41 PM, Nickfixit said:

However this can be remedied by adding some maltodextrin (up to 1/2 cup - no change on flavor or smell or ABV, only texture, mouthfeel and head retention)

So, if I'm making a 2 gallon batch, would 1/2 cup of maltodextrin be ok, then?

41 minutes ago, MetalKdub said:

So, if I'm making a 2 gallon batch, would 1/2 cup of maltodextrin be ok, then?

Probably - it will be better than none anyway and will give you a sense of it.

BUT I had a glass of Negra Modelo with lunch and it had NO head at all, fizz, yes, head no. It was the same head that you would get from coca cola.

On the other hand it went well with the lunch special at Anita's. :D

So don't feel bad, even professional beer has that issue.

hotrod3539 and MetalKdub like this

Todays brew with Orange peel had low foam on aeration. Will see if that translates to low head retention on beer compared to another similar batch