Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
epete28

Temps Got Out Of Control

20 posts in this topic

Sooo, I had to leave my house because Harvey floodwaters were getting way to close. I have 2 batches going, that were about a week or more in. We killed the a.c. on the way out. They probably had 3 or 4 days in the upper 70s Im guessing. I'm getting them back down now. So what's the likelihood of me having 2 batches of apple cider now?

Was it two weeks into the ferment or the conditioning?

Something tells me that the ultimate answer is going to be, take it to completion and drink, and then you will know. (isn't that always the answer? :P)

epete28 likes this

Just go with it. If your first bottle has a cider taste, often longer conditioning time will tame it down.

Thanks fellas, yeah, I meant a week or so into fermentation. I knew I was past the peak, so I was thinking it may be okay, but I thought I'd ask. One thing is for sure, cidery or not, I ain't wasting 4 gallons of beer.

I'm wondering if this is a time you might want to check a little early to see if they're done. Could be that with higher temps, they finish in 2 or 2 1/2 weeks. If you're worried about off-flavors developing, less time on the yeast cake might help your cause.

Or maybe I'm full of it. Feel free to correct me, everyone.

Jim

5 hours ago, jasbo said:

I'm wondering if this is a time you might want to check a little early to see if they're done. Could be that with higher temps, they finish in 2 or 2 1/2 weeks. If you're worried about off-flavors developing, less time on the yeast cake might help your cause.

Or maybe I'm full of it. Feel free to correct me, everyone.

Jim

Sounds good in concept, Jim.  ??

epete28 likes this

Jasbo - I was thinking the opposite. let  the brew sit on the yeast a couple of days longer. Hopefully the yeast cells will metabolize some of the by-products which cause the cider taste. 

epete28 likes this

16 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

How are you doing down there, Pete?  

I'm okay considering. I didn't take on any water, however, the drinking water in the city isn't good, and won't be for the foreseeable future. I know so many people that got flooded, even in my family. It's just crazy, but we'll get through it. We're proud to be Texans for a reason! Thanks for asking!

Shrike, John K. and AnthonyC like this

13 minutes ago, epete28 said:

I'm okay considering. I didn't take on any water, however, the drinking water in the city isn't good, and won't be for the foreseeable future. I know so many people that got flooded, even in my family. It's just crazy, but we'll get through it. We're proud to be Texans for a reason! Thanks for asking!

Glad to hear you're OK. And you didn't lose any beer!

epete28 and Shrike like this

I've got high expectations for both of these beers, one of them is my Whispering Wheat Partial Mash,  I just hope they're fine. Like I said, the temps are fine now. They smell great just sniffing around the lid, I know better than to open it

I guess I should add that for the batch thats not the Wispering Wheat, I used US-05.

us-05 is a pretty forgiving yeast. 

wheat yeast (ie hefe or witbier) makes a more interesting beer if you let it ferment warm a little ... but as was mentioned , that far along the odds of esters from temp being high are diminished.

epete28 likes this

One of the aforementioned batches is 17 days in now. I think I'm going to catch a sample for a gravity reading and taste test. I can't help myself, lol.

Yeah, I pulled that sample. 1st of all, let me say I expected about 6.6% abv. It's 6.563% currently. That's satisfying by itself, but there is zero cider taste at all. In fact, the sample tasted great with no conditioning whatsoever! That Willamette seems to be doing just what I hoped for. This batch may be special!

Just an update on the 2nd batch that this post was about, the WWH Partial Mash. Anyway, I sampled it earlier. My FG is 1.010, and the sample tasted just fine, no detectable issues. I should bottle on Saturday or so. I'm just glad they both seem like they are fine.

gophers6, hotrod3539, Shrike and 1 other like this

I like to revisit my older topics and post updates. Anyway, both of these have at least 3 weeks conditioning now, and I've tasted them both. They're both pretty dang good. I dont know how high those temps really got, heck, it could've been in the 80s for all I know, but it obviously was far enough along as most of you said. Thank you guys for putting my mind at ease! 

Thanks for the followup. I was wondering about this. This just goes to demonstrate just how tough the brew mix is and reinforces the "never throw it out" mantra!

epete28 likes this