Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bonsai & Brew

recipe
Old August Altbier

8 posts in this topic

Back in June, @MichaelL had a Double Bag from Long Trail Brewing Co., a double-alt style beer.  I thought it sounded like something I might like, so I crafted a mostly-grain version and, with only a few bottles left, waited until now to post the recipe.:)

Old August Altbier

Weyermann Munich Type 1, 2.0 lb.

Weyermann Pilsener, 1.0 lb.

BrewMax Pale LME, 1.1 lb.

Chateau Biscuit, 0.25 lb.

Melanoidin malt, 0.18 lb.

Carafa Special II, 0.12 lb.

Magnum, 0.25 oz., 45 min.

Tradition, 0.5 oz., 20 min.

Spalter Select, 0.5 oz., 5 min.

Safale K-97 Dry Ale yeast

Mash 60 min. @ 150 F.

Sparge.

60 min. boil

LME @ flame-out.

Ferment cool, 60 F.

OG 1.058

SRM 17

IBU 36

?

image.jpeg

hotrod3539, John K., Shrike and 3 others like this

7 hours ago, MichaelL said:

Had another one of those the other day.  Still good!  Your recipe looks good.  How does the beer taste?

I really like it but I do need to find a good double-alt reference beer for comparison before this batch is gone.  This is a malty, yet balanced brew with a mildly spicy bitterness.  The OG came up a tad short so this did not quite hit 'double' strength, but 5.1% ABV works for me.  Although I botched the presentation and introduced quite a bit of yeast, normally this pours a clear, medium amber with a nice healthy head.  Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out and I enjoyed learning about Stickebier, an Altbier substyle with an interesting history -- thanks for the inspiration!

MichaelL likes this

You're welcome!  It's rather astounding that a simple post about a favorite  beer can have such an effect.  Is this a great forum or what?

Maybe I shouldn't mention that Long Trail brews an even maltier ale called Triple Bag?  That one's classified as an American Strong Ale and clocks in at around 11%  ABV.  And I definitely shouldn't mention that it's even better than its little brother ...  B)

Bonsai & Brew likes this

2 hours ago, MichaelL said:

You're welcome!  It's rather astounding that a simple post about a favorite  beer can have such an effect.  Is this a great forum or what?

Maybe I shouldn't mention that Long Trail brews an even maltier ale called Triple Bag?  That one's classified as an American Strong Ale and clocks in at around 11%  ABV.  And I definitely shouldn't mention that it's even better than its little brother ...  B)

I was thinking the exact same thing as I posted my recipe last night.  With the wide range of brewers and tastes represented on the Forum, you never know when the next hint of inspiration will present itself.:)  As for a Triple Bag clone, I might need help from @MrWhy to tackle that one!?

MichaelL likes this

I'm an altbier fan so I really enjoyed the article.  I'll try the above recipe as well.  I am just about finished with a 5 gal batch from AIH.  I brewed that one with an ale yeast.  The next batch will done with a lager yeast.  The batch after that will be a lager yeast and then lagered for a couple of weeks extra to see how that influences the final product.  I read that in the BYO article and it sounds like something I would like to try.

Bonsai & Brew likes this

4 hours ago, C-ya said:

I'm an altbier fan so I really enjoyed the article.  I'll try the above recipe as well.  I am just about finished with a 5 gal batch from AIH.  I brewed that one with an ale yeast.  The next batch will done with a lager yeast.  The batch after that will be a lager yeast and then lagered for a couple of weeks extra to see how that influences the final product.  I read that in the BYO article and it sounds like something I would like to try.

No one seems to know for sure if the 'K' in Safale K-97 actually stands for "Kolsch," but this yeast does a really nice job @ 60 F.  I will be interested to hear how your lager version comes out. ?