DrMJG

Still a Newbie

19 posts in this topic

Tomorrow, I bottle beer #4 (My Lenten Doppel Bock), clean and sanitize my trusty LBK and begin my first Partial Mash (Whistling Wheat).  It will keep me out of mischief for the better part of the day!  I am enjoying the process and results of making beer for family and friends.  While I have made 3 different brews, each with a twinge or two from the previous one, As I have not done a Partial Mash before.  I must have read the instructions 10 times, got my trusty thermometer ready, my 4 quart pan, a beer nearby to keep me company, If anyone out in Mr. Beerland has "remember this" for me to remember, let me know!  

20 minutes ago, epete28 said:

One thing I'm not going to do the next time is not tie the grain sack too tightly. It ended up being sort of a ball and that made it tough to completely submerge it.

+1.  This is good advice.  Give the grain room to expand and spread out.

epete28, efdbrian and DrMJG like this

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Move the bag now and then. Watch for scorching. Dont use a pot which has a thin bottom. 

I use a restaurant quality pot; fairly thick bottom,  Thanks for the reminder.

Creeps McLane likes this

And save the bottle of beer until later in the brew day. I've made the mistake of starting too early and I find that I more easily forget to do things. 

Bottle saved for after for a job well done!  A number of my brews finish their layering the week so by next weekend I will have quite the variety!

18664724_1716542378374864_5008641117995162967_n.jpg

Shrike likes this

45 minutes ago, Shrike said:

That may be the best ad ever. :)

According to family legend, my first words, after mama and dada were "Blatz Beer" must have been my destiny to brew!!!!

Shrike likes this

Well, my Whispering Wheat is now in the LBK. Really good process and I followed the helpful hints from you all.  Hard to believe I got my LBK Kit in early June and I am now finished with putting #5 in the LBK.  May the Schwartz be with you is next up.  By the end of that one I will have about 3 cases of beer at varying degrees of becoming empty cases, not counting my Lenten Beer with I won't even try before next Ash Wednesday!

The directions say the fermentation for this is 2 weeks, any thoughts?

images-1.jpeg

After 24 hours, krausening is active to a level I have never seen before, began calming down a bit this afternoon.  Temp kept and controlled at 70º so that aspect is good. As I have never used the yeast supplied, I am a bit unaware of what normal would be.  I will let it run 21 days in fermentation.  It is always a delight for mr to watch and learn from the process running its course

On another topic: I had my first taste of my beer made for Festzeit.  Delicious taste, nice finish, solid ABV.  I will wait until the last week of October fest for retesting the beer.  Should pick up a lot by then.  For this beer 4 weeks clearly not enough to fully bloom, but better taste and finish when compared to a some of the domestic Fest beer I compared it too. Alas, not a true duplicate of my favorite, Augustiner, but not so off that it does not bring back many memories from when I lived 2 blocks from the Oktoberfest Wies'n!

I love this hobby!y

Shrike and hotrod3539 like this

Bottling the Whispering Wheat.  It has a great taste, ABV is good.  However it is a little cloudier than expected.  Not sure why, but not a real distraction as I usually prefer slightly cloudier Weißbier.  Cold crashed 2 full days.  Perhaps let the grains cook a little too long?  But will keep a better record when I remake this.  

images-5.jpeg

Coincidentally, I tried my 1st Whispering Wheat just a little while ago. I actually expected it to be MORE cloudy, but it doesn't bother me at all. It tastes pretty darn good though! My wife, who hates beer, but tastes all of mine just because, say she thinks she could actually drink one by herself.

Shrike and DrMJG like this

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

Wheat beer is supposed to be cloudy, due to suspended yeast.  

I expect ALL of my wheat beers to be cloudy, just a little cloudier than I expected. I am suspicious of unclouded weiß!  I suspect it will not concern me at all come consumption time!

Shrike and epete28 like this

1 hour ago, epete28 said:

Coincidentally, I tried my 1st Whispering Wheat just a little while ago. I actually expected it to be MORE cloudy, but it doesn't bother me at all. It tastes pretty darn good though! My wife, who hates beer, but tastes all of mine just because, say she thinks she could actually drink one by herself.

If it is in a 12 oz, I swirl the last 1/2 inch of beer around to get the yeast out and pour it into the glass and then it IS cloudy :D 

And that is good, try to get your wife more tastes of it and maybe you can convert her bit by bit.

epete28 likes this

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:19 PM, Creeps McLane said:

Move the bag now and then. Watch for scorching. Dont use a pot which has a thin bottom. 

I have a stove that has a warmer on the top surface. I can use this and the pot with lid on will keep at around 150-160 once I get it up there. I like this as it is not hot enough to scorch.

DrMJG likes this

1 minute ago, Nickfixit said:

I have a stove that has a warmer on the top surface. I can use this and the pot with lid on will keep at around 150-160 once I get it up there. I like this as it is not hot enough to scorch.

Alas, don't have but see how that would be great to have.