Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hotrod3539

Your Input is requested please!!

19 posts in this topic

Hey brew fam! I am looking to up my brew kettle from a standard 8 gallon to a 10 gallon for better BIAB functionality. The 8 works great for full boil on a partial mash/steeped grains 5 gallon recipe but when I do a BIAB I am pushing the limits and have been way too close to spillage when getting all the grains in. Here is my question, should I just up to a standard 10 gallon or would it be beneficial to get one with the bells and whistles (ball valve, thermometer, false bottom, and filter thingie that goes in the inside of the valve) if I am just doing BIAB and partials? 

(And don't worry, I will keep the 8 in play and use it as well... hey, 2 pots are better than one... lol!!)

57 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

Hey brew fam! I am looking to up my brew kettle from a standard 8 gallon to a 10 gallon for better BIAB functionality. The 8 works great for full boil on a partial mash/steeped grains 5 gallon recipe but when I do a BIAB I am pushing the limits and have been way too close to spillage when getting all the grains in. Here is my question, should I just up to a standard 10 gallon or would it be beneficial to get one with the bells and whistles (ball valve, thermometer, false bottom, and filter thingie that goes in the inside of the valve) if I am just doing BIAB and partials? 

(And don't worry, I will keep the 8 in play and use it as well... hey, 2 pots are better than one... lol!!)

How long do you see yourself doing this? 

If youre one day gonna move to 8-10 gallon batches, maybe you should get a 15. That way youre not buying a larger pot in a year and now you have 3 kettles. 

if youre just gonna do 5 gallon BIAB forever then a 10 is fine. But if you get fittings, which i would suggest, id get welded ones.

kedogn likes this

1 hour ago, hotrod3539 said:

Here is my question, should I just up to a standard 10 gallon or would it be beneficial to get one with the bells and whistles (ball valve, thermometer, false bottom, and filter thingie that goes in the inside of the valve) if I am just doing BIAB and partials? 

The bigger the better... as long as the price is right and this is something you will keep doing.  When I bought my 50 gallon kettles, I was stepping up from keggles, and I *almost* went with only 30 gallon kettles. OMFG I am sooooo glad right now I didn't do that.  I mean, at the time it would have saved me over $100 per unit (I got 3), but in the long run it would have cost me even more, because right now having the 50's, they are and have been for a while now, too small. Go Bigger and get the "bells and whistles" add the add-ons later. :) 

Keep in mind that the more liquid in the pot the more heat it needs to boil.  If you're using a propane  or natural gas burner outside, then go for it.  If you do it on the stove, you may max out - I know mine has to work at 3.5 gallons.  And a really big pot wouldn't clear the microwave / fan.

hotrod3539 and kedogn like this

14 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

How long do you see yourself doing this? 

If youre one day gonna move to 8-10 gallon batches, maybe you should get a 15. That way youre not buying a larger pot in a year and now you have 3 kettles. 

if youre just gonna do 5 gallon BIAB forever then a 10 is fine. But if you get fittings, which i would suggest, id get welded ones.

This is the one I was looking at Creeps.... there is a 16 gallon option as well.

http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/840782.htm

11 minutes ago, kedogn said:

The bigger the better... as long as the price is right and this is something you will keep doing.  When I bought my 50 gallon kettles, I was stepping up from keggles, and I *almost* went with only 30 gallon kettles. OMFG I am sooooo glad right now I didn't do that.  I mean, at the time it would have saved me over $100 per unit (I got 3), but in the long run it would have cost me even more, because right now having the 50's, they are and have been for a while now, too small. GoBigger and get the "bells and whistles" as add-ons later. :) 

I don't plan on ever quitting brewing. I enjoy it tons as a hobby. 5 gallon is perfect for me as my plans are to keep this a hobby and me and the wife don't consume tons of beer. I still plan on doing some 2gal mr.b stuff too.

kedogn likes this

3 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Keep in mind that the more liquid in the pot the more heat it needs to boil.  If you're using a propane  or natural gas burner outside, then go for it.  If you do it on the stove, you may max out - I know mine has to work at 3.5 gallons.  And a really big pot wouldn't clear the microwave / fan.

I have a darkstar propane burner for outside so no worries there :)

kedogn likes this

Just now, hotrod3539 said:

I don't plan on ever quitting brewing. I enjoy it tins as a hobby. 5 gallon is perfect for me as my plans are to keep this a hobby and me and the wife don't consume tons of beer. I still plan on doing some 2gal mr.b stuff too.

Then it sounds like a 15 (or the 16 above you posted) might be perfect.  Also remember what @RickBeer stated not only about amount of time/ability to boil, but if the pot will fit a stove if you are doing that still.  I admit, that didn't cross my mind as I have been on propane for 7.5+ years now.

hotrod3539 likes this

I love learning about all this from all of you! I don't ever see myself getting anywhere close to needing to move the "operation" outside with propane though. But then again, many of you probably didn't see it either, and now your neighbors are all "You smell that? He's at it again"!

12 minutes ago, epete28 said:

I love learning about all this from all of you! I don't ever see myself getting anywhere close to needing to move the "operation" outside with propane though. But then again, many of you probably didn't see it either, and now your neighbors are all "You smell that? He's at it again"!

#TRUTH!

I honestly never saw myself doing more than the 2 kinds that came with my MRB kit when I got it in December of 2009.  Nor did I ever see myself going through the hassle of doing All-Grain Brewing.  Nor did I see myself ever brewing more than 5 gallons, or eventually 10 gallons, let alone brewing on a 1 BBL system. I can also say that I never thought this would ever been anything, because well, honestly for the high majority of people it just stays a hobby.  With that said, I never thought I would see a beer of mine on tap at a local bar and I most certainly never thought I would be sitting 11 days away from opening the Manfish Brewing tasting room.  #ExpectTheUnexpected

5 minutes ago, epete28 said:

When i first started out with my Mr.B kit i was hooked. I researched and studied and took small steps (though some felt like giant leaps) Moved up to partials rather quick and then to 5 gallon and BIAB (which then caused the move to the world of outside brewing), still researching and studying the entire way. I plan on staying at the BIAB level as space (and wife) constraints keep me limited. I also do find BIAB is a nice step into the AG world with the comfort of the partial mash style (think like steeping your grains in a partial mash but its the whole kit and kaboodle like all grain). i still study and research on how i can improve my brewing and its processes within the parameters of my chosen styles. This hobby fits me and I sometimes i ask myself "why didnt i get into this sooner?" to which the answer is always "you started it when you were supposed to and ready for it."

Shrike, kedogn and John K. like this

5 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

This hobby fits me and I sometimes i ask myself "why didnt i get into this sooner?" to which the answer is always "you started it when you were supposed to and ready for it."

Exactly!  I was pushed years ago to try to do Manfish.  It appealed to me, but truth is, I *really* wasn't ready for it back then and hell, I dunno if I am right now to be honest. :)

hotrod3539 likes this

Just found out i was requested/voluntold (friends were talking and wife volunteered me hence the voluntold)  to brew a beer for a tailgate party in November (small group of friends no huge biggie 5 gallon keg should suffice) so the trigger has been pulled (i want to give this time (as close to 4 weeks as i can get) to condition in the keg before i carb it hence the fast ordering) and i ordered the 16 gallon ( http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/840784.htm ) kettle with all the "bells and whistles" along with a barb fitting and hose for transfering the wort, and the grains and ingredients to brew the batch. Thank you @Creeps McLane, @kedogn, and @RickBeer for the words of encouragement and the upsize sugestions. (Creeps, i am not sure if this is welded bulkheads or not but this pot fits in my budget and i know a few welders that can turn them into welded ones at a later time if needed)

Creeps McLane and kedogn like this

5 hours ago, hotrod3539 said:

Just found out i was requested/voluntold (friends were talking and wife volunteered me hence the voluntold)  to brew a beer for a tailgate party in November (small group of friends no huge biggie 5 gallon keg should suffice) so the trigger has been pulled (i want to give this time (as close to 4 weeks as i can get) to condition in the keg before i carb it hence the fast ordering) and i ordered the 16 gallon ( http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/840784.htm ) kettle with all the "bells and whistles" along with a barb fitting and hose for transfering the wort, and the grains and ingredients to brew the batch. Thank you @Creeps McLane, @kedogn, and @RickBeer for the words of encouragement and the upsize sugestions. (Creeps, i am not sure if this is welded bulkheads or not but this pot fits in my budget and i know a few welders that can turn them into welded ones at a later time if needed)

Many many many brewers use the bayou classic kettles. Theyre everywhere. I say thats a good choice. I almost bought one too but i was pissed they raised the price like $30 or so before i ordered it. I dont think those are welded fittings but only one of my kettles is and the other two work just fine as weldless. Youre a handy guy, youll be alright. Keep in mind i spent $600 or so on my 15 gallon kettle. I think you got off easy.

And props for using ritebrew. I only order through them. Theyre always the best. 

@hotrod3539 is a BIABing, all graining, brew bug, brewmaster fool!!! Congrats man!!! ? 

hotrod3539 likes this

40 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Many many many brewers use the bayou classic kettles. Theyre everywhere. I say thats a good choice. I almost bought one too but i was pissed they raised the price like $30 or so before i ordered it. I dont think those are welded fittings but only one of my kettles is and the other two work just fine as weldless. Youre a handy guy, youll be alright. Keep in mind i spent $600 or so on my 15 gallon kettle. I think you got off easy.

And props for using ritebrew. I only order through them. Theyre always the best. 

@hotrod3539 is a BIABing, all graining, brew bug, brewmaster fool!!! Congrats man!!! ? 

I did a search and they had it the cheapest price (even cheaper than the almighty amazon) i read every single review i could find (and there was well over 500) and most if not all the negative comments were from 2015 and back so i am guessing over the years they did some improvements. 

if i remember correctly, it was you that turned me on to them. i use them (i simply love the grain quick select and the fact they will mill and mix them for you at a real reasonable price) and a couple others (Label peelers and Austin home brew) as much as possible and try to utilize my LHBS when feasible. I have been trying to avoid northen and midwest since i found out they are in with InBev but once in a while they will have a deal too good to pass up.

lol! you got the fool part right! But in all seriousness, i probably wouldnt be where i am without the awesome help from everyone here at the forum. 

Another plus for Ritebrew.... I placed the order today after the posted cutoff for same day shipping (within an hour so not too horribly late)..... but i have my tracking number and the package is already in transit.

Creeps McLane likes this

17 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

Another plus for Ritebrew.... I placed the order today after the posted cutoff for same day shipping (within an hour so not too horribly late)..... but i have my tracking number and the package is already in transit.

I live 20 minutes or so away from them. I remember one day i thought of a great recipe after lunch so i took my next break a bit early and quick ordered the ingredients just in time to have them shipped that day. The next day, my package is on my door step. Cant beat that!!!

hotrod3539 likes this

28 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

I did a search and they had it the cheapest price (even cheaper than the almighty amazon) i read every single review i could find (and there was well over 500) and most if not all the negative comments were from 2015 and back so i am guessing over the years they did some improvements. 

if i remember correctly, it was you that turned me on to them. i use them (i simply love the grain quick select and the fact they will mill and mix them for you at a real reasonable price) and a couple others (Label peelers and Austin home brew) as much as possible and try to utilize my LHBS when feasible. I have been trying to avoid northen and midwest since i found out they are in with InBev but once in a while they will have a deal too good to pass up.

lol! you got the fool part right! But in all seriousness, i probably wouldnt be where i am without the awesome help from everyone here at the forum. 

Amazon is not a place to be shopping for most home brewing items. I dont know whats wrong with some people. Paying 5x as much for a bag of two row. Unreal. I have bought my temp controller, bazooka screen, and a few fittings in a pinch. But i always still shop around to make sure im not getting screwed.

hotrod3539 likes this

15 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Amazon is not a place to be shopping for most home brewing items. I dont know whats wrong with some people. Paying 5x as much for a bag of two row. Unreal. I have bought my temp controller, bazooka screen, and a few fittings in a pinch. But i always still shop around to make sure im not getting screwed.

Mostly use amazon just for review purposes, but will check price for comparison purposes. I do the same thing, i will look around and do a google search just for the item i am interested in just for price comparison. Grains i will either get from Ritebrew or my LHBS 

Creeps McLane likes this