MiniYoda

Cranberry Wheat

14 posts in this topic

Doing the research now to prepare for brewing Cranberry Wheat next weekend.  Should make a nice Thanksgiving beer.  Going with the basic fruit wheat recipes of Mr. Beer (one can Weissbier HME, one packet LME Golden), but won't rule out some grains.  Options for the cranberry are:

1) Extract.  Seems to be what most people on HomeBrewTalk.com is recommending, but.....um.......no.  "Ain't Nothin' Like The Real Thing"

2) Canned Fruit.  Locally, all I can find is Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce.  The product includes high fructose corn syrup and corn syrup.  My understanding (as always, correct me if I'm wrong) is that these are fermentable. Thus I'll increase the alcohol and lose the sweetness, causing the beer to be tart.

3) Craisins.  Not sure if I want to do dried cranberries.  An option if I can't find fresh/frozen

4) Fresh.  Ocean Spray site says they sell "in a bag", but not locally.  I'd have to try to find a store that has them fresh.  Didn't see them in the produce section last weekend, but didn't look very hard either.  Just need to sanitize them

5) Frozen.  12oz or 16oz, nothing added.

So, my options, in order, are 4) Fresh, 5) Frozen, then 2) Canned.  If I can get fresh at a good price, done, else I'll go frozen.  Now, a second problem.  Tartness.  I saw on HomeBrewTalk.com to add 1.5 cups of Splenda to 3 pounds of cranberries for the 5 gallon batches.  The Splenda would add sweetness without being fermentable.  One person did 4.5 to 5 pounds of cranberries for a strong tart version.  For the LBK, I'll cut these numbers in half.

So, question time:

- If I go fresh, I need to sanitze.  I've seen to soak in pure grain alcohol, but for how long?
- If I go frozen, I still need to sanitize, correct?
- Are the assumptions in (3) correct.....the HFCS and Corn Syrup will ferment, increasing alcohol, and without the syrup the beer is more tart?
- If I want to go with a sweet cranberry instead of tart, I'd use Splenda correct?

Thanks in advance

MY

Yea, me again.  Still researching this one.  Found info on these links:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/how-to-add-fruit-to-beer/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=253994

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/when-is-the-best-time-and-way-to-add-fruit-to-your-beer.64464/

have a lot of good advise.  So far, I have:

- If the fruit is fresh, sanitize it with heat (165degrees) or soak in pure grain for an hour.  Some say vodka isn't enough (alcohol should be 62.5%)

- If the fruit is frozen, it is already sanitized.  I'm seeing that freezing kills off the bad things in life

- If the fruit is strong flavored, use one pound per gallon.  Weaker fruits might take two pounds per gallon

My plans, as of now (please toss in opinions) is to get three one pound bags of frozen cranberries for the two batches I'm going to make.  A week before I make the beer (which, probably will is this weekend), I'll take sanitize the blender and a container.  I'll slightly chop the fruit, put it in the container, and put it back in the freezer.  Per the first link, "It is said that freezing and thawing fruit a few times helps release more flavors by breaking down cell walls, which means a fruitier brew!".  Next week, I'll make the base wheat beer as normal, and keg them.  After one week of fermenting, I will take the fruit out of the freezer, sanitize the blender, and puree the fruit. Half the puree will go into each keg.  One keg will be made with Splenda, one not, thus one beer will be tart and one sweet.

Welcoming thoughts, comments, etc

Thanks, @Creeps McLane.  The good words help me right now, especially after having a stressful event with my estranged wife (she totaled a car which I still owe $7,000 more than it was worth).

I doubt very much I could be brewing beer if it weren't for this forum, not just the advise but the encouragement.  This especially when I try to go off on a tangent and can't find the info here, everyone has been helpful with suggestions.  I started this thread just to gain more info from everyone on what to do with sanitizing fruit, and also if Splenda would be okay to sweeten the tartness of the cranberry.

If it comes out well, I'll let everyone know, so they can get one ready for Christmas.  If it doesn't.......I'll drink 'em anyways.

Shrike likes this

With my Christmas Hefe, I toss fresh cranberries straight in to the boil.  When they start popping it’s pretty cool. LOL  If you do this I would suggest straining them out, they have a tendency to plug air locks and create a mess #TrustMe. :) 

in a strange way, your comment reminded me of the first time I had a blueberry wheat.  The bartender put a few whole berries in the beer, and the effect was the same as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdoGHydxIAE

Same effect for cranberries?  We'll soon find out

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080426090849AAy7Qch

In case anyone wants to know, I'm having a hard time getting this project off the ground.

NO ONE IS SELLING CRANBERRIES!!!!!!!!!!

My best two options are, order frozen through Walmart, and they are delivered in two days, or get canned.

Thanks......been there, done that.  Just as a re-test, I selected 50 miles from a Louisville KY zip code (anything that starts 402xx).  Nothing in the area.

yea, but I was wanting the fresh cranberry wheat beer in time for thanksgiving, which means brew now.  I'll order them and have them shipped to the local Walmart.

hotrod3539 likes this

Just now, MiniYoda said:

yea, but I was wanting the fresh cranberry wheat beer in time for thanksgiving, which means brew now.  I'll order them and have them shipped to the local Walmart.

Sounds like a good plan to me!