Neub7

Question about bottle conditioning.

9 posts in this topic

I'm a little confused about carbonating vs conditioning.  Is the conditioning done at the same temp as the carbonating?  For example,  if a recipe says 3 weeks carbonating, then 3 weeks conditioning, do I put the bottles in the fridge after the first 3 weeks to condition for 3 weeks?  Or is it just 6 weeks at room temp, then a few days in the fridge?

6 weeks at room temp.  

Follow the 3-4 guideline.  3 weeks fermenting (temp of wort to not exceed high 60s) and 4 weeks (or more) carbonating and conditioning, at 70 or higher.  Then, only put what you'll drink 3 days later in the fridge, leaving the rest to sit at room temp.  

DrMJG and TonyKZ1 like this

Can't improve what RickBeer said for a great usable plan.  Some beers do require longer conditioning; I have a bit of a mad scientist German Doppelbock that I will lager for about 6 months!  (The Mr Beer instructions will give you a great guide line.)  Ask here if unsure as many have made the beer you are brewing. But most are drinkable after 4 week and improve a lot with a bit more time.  Hope we helped! 

Yup.  That clears it up.  That is the assumption that I was under, just wanted to be sure.  Thanks!

On 9/19/2017 at 1:58 PM, RickBeer said:

6 weeks at room temp.  

Follow the 3-4 guideline.  3 weeks fermenting (temp of wort to not exceed high 60s) and 4 weeks (or more) carbonating and conditioning, at 70 or higher.  Then, only put what you'll drink 3 days later in the fridge, leaving the rest to sit at room temp.  

so apparently I am dong wrong (or at least missing out) by refrigerating the entire batch at the end of conditioning.

13 minutes ago, 76shovel said:

so apparently I am dong wrong (or at least missing out) by refrigerating the entire batch at the end of conditioning.

I guess that depends. If you're crushing the whole batch in a week, it probably doesn't matter.

Shrike likes this

1 hour ago, 76shovel said:

Yes, and no.

Ideally, you refrigerate for three days only what you're going to drink in 3 days.  I have labels, I write the date it goes in the fridge.  At the beginning of a batch, if I'm slow to dig into it (at one point I had 13 choices), 2 weeks after the first bottles went in I removed them, added more conditioned bottles, and crossed the date off, putting them at the rear of the batch to condition more.

If you have made a lager (95% of Mr. Beer recipes are ALES), then after 4 - 8 weeks warm conditioning you can store all of them in the fridge.

76shovel likes this

13 hours ago, epete28 said:

I guess that depends. If you're crushing the whole batch in a week, it probably doesn't matter.

Sounds like fun but I try to avoid too much fun.  ;)

generally if you have a high abv beer it will benefit from a longer conditioning time.   high abv beers tend to taste like rubbing alcohol early...  figuratively speaking. aging them allows them to mellow out and the flavors to blend better.