Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
76shovel

American Lager, Low Maintenance

16 posts in this topic

I just did American Lager but added a small pack of Booster and Nugget hops to the boil and Smooth LME to the wort, left the hop sack in.  3 weeks X 4 weeks and then 2 more weeks in the fridge.

Lately I prefer my beer hopped to the top but IMHO this is a good smooth balanced outcome especially for a cheap and easy mix. I do not know the ABV but I know I like it, definitely going to try to repeat it.

I also am going to open another one. ;)

On 9/21/2017 at 7:46 PM, 76shovel said:

I just did American Lager but added a small pack of Booster and Nugget hops to the boil and Smooth LME to the wort, left the hop sack in.  3 weeks X 4 weeks and then 2 more weeks in the fridge.

Lately I prefer my beer hopped to the top but IMHO this is a good smooth balanced outcome especially for a cheap and easy mix. I do not know the ABV but I know I like it, definitely going to try to repeat it.

I usually add 1 lb of DME to the MB standard refills. I usually end up around 5.3% ABV. You may be able to guesstimate from there.

76shovel likes this

Mr. Beer gives estimates for the ABV adds for the fermentables, 6 oz. booster ~ 0.6%, Smooth LME, ~ 1% the HME base 3-3.5% depending who you listen to - some here think Mr. B is optimistic LOL.

So this would make 4.6 to 5.1 range. For better accuracy you will need to measure the gravity.

But I don't usually care that much - that range would be close enough for me.

By epete28's estimate - the 1 lb. DME by Mr. B's rating (7.5 oz/1%) would give 2.12% additional ABV%, giving the HME a rating of 3.18%. In the 3-3.5% range.

76shovel likes this

Yep, the alcohol content is really not a big deal for me yet.  I figure the advertised ABV is a shade generous. Seems I add a 6oz boost more often than not unless the recipe actually calls out 12 oz.

Nickfixit likes this

I just tried my first batch of American Lager, which I brew following Mr. Beers instructions.

3 weeks in the LBK 

3 days cold crashed

4 weeks carbonation and  conditioning

Carbonation is a little low and has a slight Apple taste. Drinkable, really not that bad. Hoping a little more time in the bottle will help.

9 hours ago, doc280 said:

I just tried my first batch of American Lager, which I brew following Mr. Beers instructions.

3 weeks in the LBK 

3 days cold crashed

4 weeks carbonation and  conditioning

Carbonation is a little low and has a slight Apple taste. Drinkable, really not that bad. Hoping a little more time in the bottle will help.

let the bottles condition longer, seems they need at least 2 months conditioning, and when you go to try one for taste, only put one bottle in the fridge.  By doing this the conditioning process at room temperature won't be slowed down due to the chilling effect. 

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:58 PM, Nickfixit said:

I am almost out of booster again - I will have to buy more

I make my own booster, I buy maltodextrin 8 ounce packets from LabelPeelers.com seems to have a decent price on bulk orders, then I find the cheapest dextrose online, usually 10 pounds or so. so my booster effect is, 1 lb of corn sugar with 8 ounces of maltodextrin. now how to exactly calculate the amount of boost I do not have the info, but it's seemed to work pretty good for me

hotrod3539 and Bonsai & Brew like this

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:46 PM, 76shovel said:

ive got 5 cans of American Lager thinking of doing some crazy experiMENTAL recipe this weekend. brew it as a lager by either saflager 23, or the 34/70 version. it'll be a definite 5 gallon attempt, but any suggestions on the hops I could use would help!

Shrike likes this

13 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

ive got 5 cans of American Lager thinking of doing some crazy experiMENTAL recipe this weekend. brew it as a lager by either saflager 23, or the 34/70 version. it'll be a definite 5 gallon attempt, but any suggestions on the hops I could use would help!

Perle + Hallertau?

HoppySmile! likes this

1 hour ago, HoppySmile! said:

let the bottles condition longer, seems they need at least 2 months conditioning, and when you go to try one for taste, only put one bottle in the fridge.  By doing this the conditioning process at room temperature won't be slowed down due to the chilling effect. 

Thanks, I have changed the date and will come back to it later.

IMG_20171003_090812-1024x768.jpg

1 hour ago, HoppySmile! said:

I make my own booster, I buy maltodextrin 8 ounce packets from LabelPeelers.com seems to have a decent price on bulk orders, then I find the cheapest dextrose online, usually 10 pounds or so. so my booster effect is, 1 lb of corn sugar with 8 ounces of maltodextrin. now how to exactly calculate the amount of boost I do not have the info, but it's seemed to work pretty good for me

Did this change from what you told me before? I have down (i think I have a screenshot of it too....) 1lb corn sugar and 4 oz (1/4 lb) maltodextrin..... don't confuse me Hoppy!!!!

HoppySmile! likes this

2 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

Maybe this will help:

The Mr B Booster is  8% glucose, 56% maltose, 16% maltotriose, and 20% dextrins,  imitating malt extract. - 80% fermentable.

Cooper's Brew Enhancers are different and I have not tried them even while imitating Cooper's recipes. 

I use Mr. B Booster instead for the equivalent ABV boost and it has worked for me.

Cooper's fermentables:

Light Dry Malt - 100% light dry malt
Dextrose - 100% dextrose
Brewing Sugar - 80% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin
Brew Enhancer 1 - 60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin
Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin, 25% light dry malt

I also  read -

A pound of any sugar will contribute between 1.036 and 1.046 gravity points per gallon of liquid, or 1.007 to 1.009 per 5 gallons. The difference of 0.002 between the two is negligible. Most sugar syrups have an OG of about 1.400 to 1.500, so 1 cup will equal approximately 12 oz.

So you can get a pretty good idea of the OG boost from fermentables and hence the ABV boost.

But to be more precise - Brewers Friend calc gives a better idea ....

With your mix, approximately

16 oz of the mix in 5 gal, you get 0.8% ABV

6 oz . of the mix in 2 gal  adds about 0.75%  ABV

Hoppys_booster.png

hotrod3539 and HoppySmile! like this

23 hours ago, hotrod3539 said:

Did this change from what you told me before? I have down (i think I have a screenshot of it too....) 1lb corn sugar and 4 oz (1/4 lb) maltodextrin..... don't confuse me Hoppy!!!!

since I have 8 ounce packets, I up the maltodextrin by another 4 ounces. I usually only add this combo only to a light Pilsen, wheat or lager with little body/ABV% from a recipe kit. and when I brew a higher ABV% beer I usually don't add either or may just kick it more with the dextrose for additional fermentable. So hotrod u will be fine with what u have, if for any reason that u may lose the mouthfeel of a beer go ahead and kick up the maltodextrin another 4 oz.

hotrod3539 likes this