ebfulch

Silly question about CO2 escaping...

15 posts in this topic

Hey folks! So I just started fermenting my first ever batch about 36 hours ago. It looks like the yeast is doing what it's supposed to as I've checked the LBK.

The keg is currently rock hard. My question is, should the keg be rock hard right now? I want to make sure that CO2 is actually escaping and that it isn't going to explode. I'm not really sure how much or how fast the CO2 should be escaping. I can actually smell the beer, which tells me something is getting out.

I know this may be a super silly question, but perhaps it's one of those things that's so basic I just can't find an answer anywhere! Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome and such a quick reply! So two follow up questions then. One, I suppose you're saying it shouldn't be quite as hard or full of gas as it is? And second, there's nothing the CO2 needs to do in the fermenter correct? In other words, as soon as it's produced, it's ok for it to escape?

58 minutes ago, ebfulch said:

Thanks for the welcome and such a quick reply! So two follow up questions then. One, I suppose you're saying it shouldn't be quite as hard or full of gas as it is? And second, there's nothing the CO2 needs to do in the fermenter correct? In other words, as soon as it's produced, it's ok for it to escape?

What are ya doin squeezing the LBK???!!! Lol!! But seriously though, yes, co2 is supposed to do some escaping in the fermentation process. Co2 is a byproduct of the yeast doing it's thing. In this phase you want some to escape but also have enough in the lbk to keep the headspace full of co2 as to not let oxygen get at your magic elixer. Now come bottling time you will add some sugar and the yeast will again go into action and make some more co2 but this time you want to keep it in the bottle so it carbonates your brew.

Shrike and kedogn like this

Mine are rock hard even when they're empty. Those two notches in the lil of the mouth are there to vent the CO2. I'm not sure you can tighten it enough negate the function of the vent system. I could be wrong though.

Cammanron, Shrike and hotrod3539 like this

2 hours ago, epete28 said:

Mine are rock hard even when they're empty. Those two notches in the lil of the mouth are there to vent the CO2. I'm not sure you can tighten it enough negate the function of the vent system. I could be wrong though.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was wondering about. I tightened it pretty good when I first closed it up, so I was wondering if that was a problem. Sounds like it isn't! 

I did loosen the lid JUST a bit (didn't even need a quarter turn as Shrike mentioned), and it must have let out a bit of CO2 because the keg was slightly more flexible. I'll check it tonight or tomorrow morning and see what it's like, and maybe tighten it back down a bit. I think I just need to get through this first fermentation to realize that it's not actually going to explode on me. Trying to channel Papazian right now..."Relax. Don't Worry. Have a homebrew." 

Shrike and C-ya like this

We've all been there.

No need to tighten it back down.  There'll still be enough of a CO2 cushion to keep outside air from getting in.  When I brew a batch I always tighten the lid down, then back it off 1/4 turn.  Never had an issue...

efdbrian likes this

Wait until you see how hard your bottles get when they're conditioning, lol! I HAVE had one of THOSE explode! I'm sure your fermenter is fine though. @ebfulch

Stop pushing on it, stop messing with the lid, and stop looking at it...

Fermenter has notches cut into the threads to let out the CO2.  Should they get clogged by krausen (rare), the lid will simply blow off.  Your keg will not explode.

Brian N. and epete28 like this

didn't the really really old lbk's have a standard airlock at one time? I like standard airlocks. watching all the little bubbles and bouncing thingamajig makes me feel like my yeasties are singing my praises for being such a great host.

TonyKZ1 and Creeps McLane like this

So this post made me conduct a little experiment. I took an empty LBK, removed the spigot, tightened the lid about as much as I could (within reason, I didn't want to damage it), and I put my mouth over the spigot hole and blew air into it. Blowing as hard as I could, I DID in fact get it to "flex" SOME, but the air was still able to vent. When I blew slowly, there was no effect on the structure of the LBK. So I'll draw the reasonable conclusion that you CAN'T tighten the lid so much that the LBK will fail to vent.

hotrod3539 and Creeps McLane like this

Just now, epete28 said:

So this post made me conduct a little experiment. I took an empty LBK, removed the spigot, tightened the lid about as much as I could (within reason, I didn't want to damage it), and I put my mouth over the spigot hole and blew air into it. Blowing as hard as I could, I DID in fact get it to "flex" SOME, but the air was still able to vent. When I blew slowly, there was no effect on the structure of the LBK. So I'll draw the reasonable conclusion that you CAN'T tighten the lid so much that the LBK will fail to vent.

Can you post a pic of said experiment? I really need this visual in my life

hotrod3539, Shrike and Cammanron like this

If you have the LBK

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:13 PM, RickBeer said:

Stop pushing on it, stop messing with the lid, and stop looking at it...

Fermenter has notches cut into the threads to let out the CO2.  Should they get clogged by krausen (rare), the lid will simply blow off.  Your keg will not explode.

If you have the LBK anywhere any significant other cares about and it does this - the LBK may not be the only thing to explode......

So I wouldn't tighten it too hard.