EazzDrop

Too Much Yeast???

20 posts in this topic

Hi All, first post.

Starting to get back into brewing with Mr. Beer since taking a 2 year break. Bought up a bunch of Mr. Beer kits around locally for cheap, to get some additional LBK's. Extracts where past the expired date ( as was the yeast) which I didn't know at the time. From all my research, the extract should be fine, but yeast is most likely dead.

Brewed up the wort, got the temps to the correct range, and pitched the 5oz. packet of Mr. Beer dry yeast. Waited a week, checking it every other day, and no fermentation. After researching and finding out the yeast were probably dead.....I went to my local HBS and picked up an 11.5oz of S-33, and pitched the whole thing. (The guy at the store said I could pitch the entire 11.5 oz and it wouldn't harm anything, even though the Mr. Beer recipe only utilizes a 5 oz. packet. )

Waited a week........checking every other day......no fermentation............scratching my head, and decided to do a gravity reading of the wort..........1.071...........accounted for temperature and calibration of hydrometer....no fermentation has occurred..........still scratching my head.

On the way home from work the other day, I decided to "check" the expiration dates on the other S-33 yeast the HBS sold me, as well as the wheat yeast he sold me..........the other packet of S-33 had an expiration date of February of 2016!  I can only assume (cause I didn't check) the packet of S-33 I pitched a week ago was most likely expired as well. Called up the local HBS, after a bit of arguing and him checking his refrigerator....he concurred that he sold me dead, expired yeast. he said he would replace at no charge.

Here I am.....almost 3 weeks in with Wort in the LBK this entire time...doing nothing....I now have new, un-expired S-33 ready to pitch into this batch and get some fermentation started....

Here are my questions............Should I just pitch in the S-33 and let it do it's thing? Should I sanitize a spoon and mix up the wort a lot (aerate it) and then pitch the new yeast? Or.....should I try and "rack" the wort and use a filtering screen to get it to a new LBK, to try and get as much as the dead yeast out of the wort as possible???  Will the dead yeast in the wort be a problem, or do I need to get the wort off the dead yeast?  Right now, there is approx. 16 oz. of dead yeast floating around in my un-fermented wort.

I know this was a ton of information, but if anyone could steer me in the right direction to save this brew.....I would greatly appreciate it.

MRB Tim likes this

Great questions! There's no need to re-rack, and I wouldn't bother re-aerating (although some will probably disagree with the aerating thing). I'd just pitch the new yeast in the current fermenter. The dead yeast will act as a nutrient for the live ones.

45 minutes ago, MRB Tim said:

Great questions! There's no need to re-rack, and I wouldn't bother re-aerating (although some will probably disagree with the aerating thing). I'd just pitch the new yeast in the current fermenter. The dead yeast will act as a nutrient for the live ones.

Cannibals

So....should I pitch the entire 11.5oz S-33 and let 'er rip...........or should I split the yeast in half and save the rest for another batch  since its only the 2 gallons...?

MRB Tim and HoppySmile! like this

6 minutes ago, EazzDrop said:

So....should I pitch the entire 11.5oz S-33 and let 'er rip...........or should I split the yeast in half and save the rest for another batch  since its only the 2 gallons...?

Add the whole package. It won't store well once opened.

DrMJG likes this

1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

Add the whole package. It won't store well once opened.

I know that officially it does not store well, but I have been successful storing it at 65 deg and using it months later.

Except with Lager yeasts. Then I will use the whole packet to ensure clean fermentation.

I spread the yeast out in the pack before opening to get 1/2 at either end, then fold it in 1/2 (with equal amounts both sides of the fold) and cut off the desired end with scissors and empty out the yeast in that 1/2 side. Then I seal the pack with folded scotch tape over the cut end all along the opening and extending both sides to seal it well. (I seal hop packets the same way.) 

If one is not sure that will work, have a spare yeast packet (Mr B will be happy to sell you another :-D - or use the Mr B. yeast and add more after 24 hours if nothing is happening.

So far I did not have to add when using saved 1/2 packets.  Probably some has died but there has been sufficient left to do the job. Maybe I was lucky.

However, if you try this you are on your own although I will cheer or cry with you.

This my personal view and does not reflect Mr Beer instructions or policy.

Shrike likes this

21 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

I know that officially it does not store well, but I have been successful storing it at 65 deg and using it months later.

I spread the yeast out in the pack before opening to get 1/2 at either end, then fold it in 1/2 (with equal amounts both sides of the fold) and cut off the desired end with scissors and empty out the yeast in that 1/2 side. Then I seal the pack with folded scotch tape over the cut end all along the opening and extending both sides to seal it well. (I seal hop packets the same way.) 

If one is not sure that will work, have a spare yeast packet (Mr B will be happy to sell you another :-D - or use the Mr B. yeast and add more after 12 hours if noting is happening.

So far I did not have to add when using saved 1/2 packets.  Probably some has died but there has been sufficient left to do the job. Maybe I was lucky.

However, if you try this you are on your own although I will cheer or cry with you.

This my personal view and does not reflect Mr Beer instructions or policy.

With how cheap dry yeast is, I simply don't think it's worth it to store half a pack for several months after being opened. I prefer a strong starting fermentation with fresh yeast. Old yeast or under-pitching can promote off-flavors. I'm more than willing to spend a few bucks on a fresh yeast to guarantee a strong ferment with very little lag time. Especially when I'm too lazy to do a starter.

DrMJG and Nickfixit like this

Any more opinions on whether to agitate the wort with heavy stirring/shaking............or shall I just open the lid, pour the 11.5 oz. of S-33, close her up and pray for fermentation.......

2 hours ago, EazzDrop said:

Any more opinions on whether to agitate the wort with heavy stirring/shaking............or shall I just open the lid, pour the 11.5 oz. of S-33, close her up and pray for fermentation.......

It can't hurt, but from what I understand it's not that critical with batches this size.  If you DO decide to do it make sure you sanitize the spoon or whisk that you use.  Some boiling water will do the trick.

Nickfixit and epete28 like this

I agree. sprinkle it in slowly and  shake the packet gently so the yeast distributes over the surface and does not clump. Should not need to stir then.

MRB Josh R likes this

7 hours ago, EazzDrop said:

So I have the absolute best solution ......

You need to start 2 batches together :-D and give them 1/2 the yeast each.

I feel sure Mr B Josh will not disagree with this one - especially if you make another order to make it possible.

Shrike and MRB Josh R like this

I pitch 11.5s in two gallon batches all the time. Never had any issues, and with US-05 it always seems to taste great.

Nickfixit likes this

O. We did not ask what refill/recipe  EazzDrop is making - or did I miss it?

Inquiring minds want to know..................

Great question.....since this was from an old kit I picked up locally for around $10......it came with the "Classic American Lite" refill.  I turned it into the "Horse's Ass Ale" which should be a mild pale ale.......added a cup of honey and 1oz. of Citra hops for the last minute or two of boiling. Not expecting anything amazing, but hopefully it will be "drinkable"  HAHAHA

It is near impossible to overpitch yeast on a homebrew scale.  I almost always grow my starters to double the recommended cell count and pitch the whole thing.  I have even pitched triple the recommended cell count without issue.

Prior to pitching any yeast I'd taste what's in the keg.  Possible after sitting for three weeks with air, no CO2, that's it's infected.  If it tastes sweet like unfermented beer, go ahead and pitch.  If it tastes vinegar-like, toss it.

A big part of whether old cans past their dates are good is how they've been stored.  Many shove these kits into an attic or garage, where they are exposed to high heat.  If it's two years past the date I would toss it regardless.  

$10 for an old kit with bottles is for an LBK with bottles, toss the rest.

Brian N. likes this

Did a taste test on the same day I pulled the gravity reading........nothing gross.....just sweet.....

Pitched the full 11.5 oz. yeast last night... no stirring or shaking........opened up the LBK and sprinkled in......we'll see what 24 hrs. in looks like this evening......

Thanks for all your help everybody.

Shrike likes this

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:03 AM, EazzDrop said:

I always use the whole packet, and helps guarantee a good fermentation

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:23 AM, EazzDrop said:

Did a taste test on the same day I pulled the gravity reading........nothing gross.....just sweet.....

Pitched the full 11.5 oz. yeast last night... no stirring or shaking........opened up the LBK and sprinkled in......we'll see what 24 hrs. in looks like this evening......

Thanks for all your help everybody.

Should be good, now leave it shut for 3 weeks.

You can sniff the sides of the LBK lid for lovely fermentation smell where the vents are.

kedogn likes this