epete28

Question about bulging cans of extract.

36 posts in this topic

I know you are not supposed to use bulging cans, but what kind of bulge are we talking? I have a can that, for lack of a better description, is "puffy" on one end. It's not dramatic, and honestly probably wouldn't be noticed by most. I'm wondering if its okay? The rest of the can is fine, no lumps in the sides or anything like that. It says it's good until 2018, although I can see evidence that the date may have been altered.

"altered"?  Explain?  What would the date be if it wasn't altered?

And how did you get the can?

Personally, I'd say "Can of HME, meet trash can.  Trash can, meet can of HME"

I ordered it from MB, and received it yesterday. It's a can of Imperial Red Ale. On the bottom of the can it looks like it used to read "Best Before 08 May 2017". That looks as though it was wiped clean(almost), and re-stamped "Best By 2018".

HoppySmile! likes this

That's the seasonal HME you bought from Mr. Beer.  I vote "safe".  But I'd brew it soon-ish

2 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

That's the seasonal HME you bought from Mr. Beer.  I vote "safe".  But I'd brew it soon-ish

That's what I'm thinking, and soon-ish being tonight-ish, if I'm not called into work.

Post a picture of the can and tag one of the MRB moderators for their opinion.  I did that when I had a similar issue with a BAA HME a few months back and they shipped me out a replacement can the next day.

MRB's customer service is fantastic.

HoppySmile! and hotrod3539 like this

I had asked in the past about this as I had got a pressure gas hiss when I opened one can. The Cooper's can I made last week also had one end bulge.

The response I got was that cans are backfilled with pressurized nitrogen to keep them fresh so yes there will be pressure in it.

Of course fermentation or infection could also cause pressure, but I figure if it looks alright and smells alright and has no strange looking stuff in/on it and the can looks OK on the inside (no rust or discoloration) then it is OK.

Still, if you are not sure, it never hurts to check with Mr B.

epete28 likes this

52 minutes ago, Shrike said:

Post a picture of the can and tag one of the MRB moderators for their opinion.  I did that when I had a similar issue with a BAA HME a few months back and they shipped me out a replacement can the next day.

MRB's customer service is fantastic.

I'm not sure its even detectable on a pic. I think I'm a little paranoid. I can "pop" one end of the can like those metal orange juice caps, after you break the seal, but at a glance it looks normal.

HoppySmile! likes this

Well, this one is in the LBK now. When I opened the can, there was a little pressure. A little extract came out and started to run down the side. It smelled, and tasted great (yes, I taste the malt if I get a chance, lol) however! My O.G. is 1.064. I figure thats about spot on.

HoppySmile! and MiniYoda like this

I don't post here often, but I think you're making a grave mistake. After I typed that, I realized that it could be literally true.

Do a google search on something like malt extract bulging can. 

If the can is bulging, even a little bit, you could get botulism poisoning. If you boiled it for 5 minutes, the toxins will be destroyed but spores can still be alive. And you probably didn't boil it for 5 minutes.

Botulism is potentially fatal. DON'T MESS AROUND!

If there was enough pressure that some of it leaked out, it's almost certainly tainted.

Never use any canned goods (not just Mr Beer, but ANY canned goods) that are bulging or dented at seams. 

Also, you mentioned that the date appeared to be altered. Did you buy this from Mr Beer directly, or did you buy it from some other source? I've read that there are Mr Beer cans with altered "Best By" dates being sold on Amazon by third party vendors.

Please do yourself a favor and dump this batch. 

If you bought it from Mr Beer, contact their customer support. They may replace it for you even though you've already started the batch. If you bought it from Amazon, take a picture of the altered date and send it to them and ask for a refund. I'm not sure if it will work since you've opened the can, but it's worth a shot.

Even if you don't get your money back, brewing and drinking this beer could cost you much more than throwing it out would.

It's possible that you can brew the batch and not have any ill effects, but it's really not worth the risk.

You do realize that that old Jack Benny sketch where a guy pulls a gun on him and says, "Your money or your life," followed by Jack stroking his chin and saying, "I'm thinking, I'm thinking" was intended as humor and not advice, right?

I'm about as cheap as they come, but I once bought a bulk order of canned extract and threw out more than a hundred pounds of extract rather than take the risk of poisoning. The vendor refunded the money, but I would have thrown it out, anyway. And they didn't make me return the damaged cans, so I could have used them, but it wasn't worth the risk.

Here's a link to an article about bulging cans. It's about food cans, but the concept is the same, since it's something you're consuming.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/432937-what-should-you-do-with-a-can-of-food-that-is-bulging-out/

Holy Sh*t man! I DID buy it directly from MB, but you've got me freaking out a little! Let me contact their customer service ASAP! @bpgreen

the above can is maybe 2010??? or something I keep it as a souvenior. bought a kit  from a guy on craigslist. he advertised it as a new kit unopened......I was only interested in the brown keg anyway, but what a novelty. and the booster pack was rock hard, but back then they were HUGE packs!

21 minutes ago, epete28 said:

Holy Sh*t man! I DID buy it directly from MB, but you've got me freaking out a little! Let me contact their customer service ASAP! @bpgreen

if u chug the whole LBK right now, and you don't vomit, In my professional opinionated experiments would say you should be ok

epete28 likes this

2 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

if u chug the whole LBK right now, and you don't vomit, In my professional opinionated experiments would say you should be ok

I licked my fingers several times while making this batch up, so I guess I'll know soon enough if its bad. If I live long enough for fermentation to complete, it's a go! Funny/not funny

HoppySmile! likes this

ive used older cans of American Patriot that is now known as the American Lager. brewed it and it was a 2013 date, just alittle more darker than expected but it was all good when going down the gut

6 minutes ago, epete28 said:

I licked my fingers several times while making this batch up, so I guess I'll know soon enough if its bad. If I live long enough for fermentation to complete, it's a go! Funny/not funny

sometimes I would get a can with a slight bulge on the bottom, probably damaged that's y they go on sale at times, and sometimes dented but I used them. and bought some on the internet damaged but seemed to work for me

epete28 likes this

@epete28 No idea how I missed this yesterday but yes, please dump that and contact us for a replacement. Never use bulging cans, even if they came right from us. It's most likely that it got squished on that end or something, but it's not something you should take a chance with. 

I guess I'll go home and dump this batch when I get off tonight. What shall go in its place, Australian Sparkling Ale, or Let It Be Honey Blonde Ale? Decisions Decisions!

On 9/30/2017 at 0:32 PM, MRB Tim said:

@epete28 No idea how I missed this yesterday but yes, please dump that and contact us for a replacement. Never use bulging cans, even if they came right from us. It's most likely that it got squished on that end or something, but it's not something you should take a chance with. 

I have one also. Didn't think twice when it arrived this way. But after reading this thread i am concerned.

IMG_1477.JPG

epete28 likes this

48 minutes ago, DEFbrewer said:

I have one also. Didn't think twice when it arrived this way. But after reading this thread i am concerned.

IMG_1477.JPG

Mine wasn't THAT extreme, but it WAS on the bottom as well.

Damn I got one too, but I think it is just the edge. Funny the box is in perfect condition.

IMG_20171001_162126-1024x768.jpg