DEFbrewer

Coopers Recipes For Craft HMEs

24 posts in this topic

I chatted with Tim on the Mr Beer website and he assured me the the processes used on the Coopers website can be altered to fit Mr Beer and forum processes.

MiniYoda likes this

I use Coopers recipes when I use their 6G refills and split them up.

I do look at their recipes for suggestions on the refills and new recipes for me.

The major difference I see (besides the use of metric) is that they do not call for boiling added extract unless you need to use hops in it.

If everything is sterile,  they figure you can add any processed sealed LME or DME or Booster or HME to the fermenting vessel and just stir it up a bit.

They only boil things that need sterilizing or hop/other additions.

Typically though I follow the Mr B process and don't add DME directly to the LBK, I dissolve it in some water and bring to boil. But likely if it is a complete fresh packet I don't need to. It kinds feels better though :-D.

So I use for 0.5kg approx. 18 oz. (17.6)   or if more convenient not to use a part packet, 16 oz  - it will be a little less strong but close.

For hops they generally have, I think, 25 g packs so use half a pack 12g sometimes too. I approximate to 25g is approx. 1 oz. (actually 0.88) and 12 or 12.5g as 0.5 oz (0.44), but that is probably accurate enough.

The other trick they do in their recipes is to vary the amount of water.  On the 6G recipes you will see 20 to 23 liters used.  This way they can use the standard extract can (1.5kg) as addition to the HME and get different strength beers. Bear in mind also that the overall bitterness contributed by the HME will also be changed in proportion - and that way you avoid a hop boil maybe - or can reduce hoppiness by adding more water.

These are things that can be experimented with but all have consequences.  Less water - less beer , more water, more chance of overflow.

But these are all tools that can be used with care.

DEFbrewer, MiniYoda and HoppySmile! like this

13 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

will be brewing a Coopers Draught this morning

Excellent - are you making it standard or one of their variants like https://us.diybeer.com/extra-smooth-bitter-23-litres

It is a little bit of a pain to see what recipes use what HMEs since they do  not helpfully index them, but the journey is educational. If they get in Mini Yoda's spreadsheet too that would help

HoppySmile! and DEFbrewer like this

Don't get me wrong.  I have *NOTHING* against the metric system.  I grew up in Madrid, Spain, and understand it better than the American "standard" system.

However, when these Aussies say 1.3kg of HME and 259g if LME and 12 grams of hops......I need to make sure I know that this means that and that is the same as this.

I'll add 'em to the spreadsheet.........just gonna need some thinkin' time

odaYiniM

DEFbrewer and Nickfixit like this

2 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

Don't get me wrong.  I have *NOTHING* against the metric system.  I grew up in Madrid, Spain, and understand it better than the American "standard" system.

However, when these Aussies say 1.3kg of HME and 259g if LME and 12 grams of hops......I need to make sure I know that this means that and that is the same as this.

odaYiniM

That is awesome  MiniYoda! I use your spreadsheet all the time.. It is one the best assets to brewing I have found!

MiniYoda likes this

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:00 PM, Nickfixit said:

Excellent - are you making it standard or one of their variants like https://us.diybeer.com/extra-smooth-bitter-23-litres

It is a little bit of a pain to see what recipes use what HMEs since they do  not helpfully index them, but the journey is educational. If they get in Mini Yoda's spreadsheet too that would help

kinda making it a standard 6 gallon brew, well not really  but I did add some additional malt grain, LME and Dme and threw in a can of CAL for the heck of it. You know me....... I just can't leave anything as it is! LOL!  Used some Williamette whole hops that I've had for some time

Nickfixit likes this

That will be good but unlike their idea of "bitter" lol.

I have a refill of that still to brew so in maybe 2 months. Next month is 3 Mr beer refills - I am thinking -

Baltic Porter standard - S-04 yeast
CAL  NaughtyCream Ale
Lucky Charms Stout

then I get to the Cooper's Bitter.

I am alternating each month to use up stock.

HoppySmile! likes this

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:24 PM, MiniYoda said:

odaYiniM

Good deal.

I always have to go over the proportions and conversions a couple times just to make sure - especially making 3 different 6 gall recipes using same HME  into 3 different LBK recipes.

HoppySmile! likes this

12 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

That will be good but unlike their idea of "bitter" lol.

I have a refill of that still to brew so in maybe 2 months. Next month is 3 Mr beer refills - I am thinking -

Baltic Porter standard - S-04 yeast
CAL  NaughtyCream Ale
Lucky Charms Stout

then I get to the Cooper's Bitter.

I am alternating each month to use up stock.>>>>>>>>>>>>I'm also attempting to use up old stock. Thought of doing a mega lager with 5 cans of American Lager just to get rid of them lol!

large.IMAG0646.jpg.c055bb614e04e1d1d086bdb5ab775fa4.jpglarge.IMAG0571.jpg.0fb25cfcf909901371e56c9362d8edf2.jpg

hotrod3539, John K. and Shrike like this

21 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Artistic rendition of beer supplies. I don't have as many, but I will have to try that. :-D

well this is an older pic from last year summertime, however, I still have at least 75% of this stock that i'll begin sorting out as brewed straight up or as an experimental recipe

I am drinking this and it is really nice but it does need months to taste this good.

Coopers Australian Bitter #2  1/3 HME + 1 lb light DME + dry hop 0.5 oz cascade +  4 oz 2 row steep 30m + 1/2 Cooper's yeast

HoppySmile! likes this

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:09 PM, Nickfixit said:

I use Coopers recipes when I use their 6G refills and split them up.

I do look at their recipes for suggestions on the refills and new recipes for me.

The major difference I see (besides the use of metric) is that they do not call for boiling added extract unless you need to use hops in it.

If everything is sterile,  they figure you can add any processed sealed LME or DME or Booster or HME to the fermenting vessel and just stir it up a bit.

They only boil things that need sterilizing or hop/other additions.

Typically though I follow the Mr B process and don't add DME directly to the LBK, I dissolve it in some water and bring to boil. But likely if it is a complete fresh packet I don't need to. It kinds feels better though :-D.

So I use for 0.5kg approx. 18 oz. (17.6)   or if more convenient not to use a part packet, 16 oz  - it will be a little less strong but close.

For hops they generally have, I think, 25 g packs so use half a pack 12g sometimes too. I approximate to 25g is approx. 1 oz. (actually 0.88) and 12 or 12.5g as 0.5 oz (0.44), but that is probably accurate enough.

The other trick they do in their recipes is to vary the amount of water.  On the 6G recipes you will see 20 to 23 liters used.  This way they can use the standard extract can (1.5kg) as addition to the HME and get different strength beers. Bear in mind also that the overall bitterness contributed by the HME will also be changed in proportion - and that way you avoid a hop boil maybe - or can reduce hoppiness by adding more water.

These are things that can be experimented with but all have consequences.  Less water - less beer , more water, more chance of overflow.

But these are all tools that can be used with care.

I was going to start copying the recipes on Cooper's site to the recipe table, and was reading this post.  The first recipe I encountered was the Abbey Dubbel.  As pointed out by @Nickfixit, they use grams where Mr. Beer uses ounces.  For this recipe, they say 12g of hops, where Mr. Beer says one 0.5oz package. Wanted to check with everyone first, especially @MRB Josh R and @MRB Tim on the best way to transfer their recipes 

My three options for hops are:

1) list the hops as 12g or 25g, exactly as recipe, and put something in the notes that would say "1 or 2 packs from Mr. Beer is equivalent"

2) list the hops as 0.44oz or 0.88oz and in the notes say "1 or 2 packs from Mr. Beer, use a scale to measure accordingly"

3) list the hops as one or two 0.5oz bags, and not even mention grams.

Looks like the LME is the same 250g packages.  I can convert the DME with the same chosen method above for hops.  Thanks for everyone's help/opinion

MRB Tim likes this

9 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

3) list the hops as one or two 0.5oz bags, and not even mention grams.

I like this option. .06-.12 oz of hops is not going to make a difference I'll be able to notice at this scale, I suspect. 

Nickfixit likes this

Side note, found a recipe with grains.  They are calling for 100g, Mr. Beer's packs are 113g.  I'll go with the option 3 for this one as well

MRB Tim likes this

Agree with this. If you never had the original you will not know the difference. Even if you did you might not :-D

Why would you have to sanitize a rolling pin that is rolling over the exterior of a plastic bag?

As to sanitizing the inside of the bag, think about the process.  You're cracking the grains in the bag, then putting them in water and soaking them.  Then you're placing the result in a pot and boiling it.

So, no, you don't have to sanitize the bag.  ;)

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:09 PM, HoppySmile! said:

kinda making it a standard 6 gallon brew, well not really  but I did add some additional malt grain, LME and Dme and threw in a can of CAL for the heck of it. You know me....... I just can't leave anything as it is! LOL!  Used some Williamette whole hops that I've had for some time

will be transferring this Coopers Traditional Draught into the secondary fermenter Saturday, so I tried a small sample shot glass yesterday and really impressed how this is gonna turn out! almost a cross from an Australian ale and a mild  English bitter. I used 2 ounces of whole williamette hops, along with some pellet hops as well and it sure shows in  the taste. I used safbrew-33 for the heck of it, and satisfied how it turned out as well. The real test will be in about a month and a half when it'll be already bottled and ready to drink

Nickfixit likes this

23 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

I am a bit curious about this one

http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/143/

Do I have to sanitize the rolling pin AND the sandwich bag?

Or should I just use this

https://www.mrbeer.com/chocolate-malt

:)

Aren't the Mr Beer grains already cracked/milled?

Here is my take on writing it up:

Specify Milled/Cracked grain - and leave it the brewer to figure it out. You can cite Mr B as a source at 4oz/bag.

With 250g being 8.8 oz ~=9 oz, the recipe needs 3 oz per LBK, or you can use 2 bags at 4 oz each split 3 ways for 3 LBKs. (2  and 2/3 oz per LBK.)

So it depends if you are writing them for 6 gal or 3x 2 gal.

A 4 oz. pkt. per LBK may likely be too much.

"Each packet contains 4oz. of milled grain"

So just dump the measured grain in the water as post polling-pin activity.

If you are making 3 x 2 LBKs all the same, then steep the 8 oz all at once and divvy the liquor.

hotrod3539 likes this