Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Creeps McLane

What da hey is up with my beer?

8 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

OH NOOOOOOO!!

My Apricot Saison has the same Pellicule.

Is it possible at all I could get this from commercial yeast pack, Belle Saison in this one?

Last one had T-58 in it.

Oh well, Must be a loose bug in my basement I suppose.

Badly sterilized hop bag?

How do I stop this?

I think New LBKs for one.

apricot Saison Pellicule.20171124_111247.jpg

OH NO!!!!!!!!! 

I have used commercial yeasts with no issues, but i do sanitize the crap out of the exterior of the packet and the scissors i use to open them. 

Depending on how you sanitized/sterilized and/or handled the hop bag after (i always sanitize everything that might come in contact with the bag (including hands, scissors, hop packets, plates, cups........etc.)during its filling and use a sanitized/sterilized covered glass/measuring cup to transport it to its destination) it is possible something undesirable came along for the ride. 

Errant bug floating around the basement is a possibility, but i have to ask... has this only happened on any batches you have opened for additions/dry hopping while the LBK has been in the basement or others not opened for additions/dry hopping as well? if so i would look around your basement for any signs of mold or other unsightly issues and take proper cleaning/remediation steps as needed. 

Did you use any utensil that you may have used on your other infected batch (or batches) that was used on this one? Maybe the bug hid on that. If so... toss and replace.

Sadly, yes, toss this LBK out and replace it. 

These are my ramblings and questions in an attempt to help solve a troubling issue. I hope they help...... 

This is the 2nd one. I chucked the last LBK and this is a different one.

The pellicle is identical.

Both were in same higher temp basement room, I have had other beers in other room - no  problems there. bags are kept in that room.

First one - not opened after pitching and spices in bag were boiled. I did use refractometer sucker to check OG/FG. Did use fancy yeast.

Second - opened in warm basement area to put in apricots. Did use different fancy yeast. Did not use refractometer. Apricots, bag and ginger both scalded with boiling water

Another beer in other part has no issues I added a scalded bag of cereal into that at same time as I added apricots, same method.

The only thing I can see common is the basement location. and both used fancy yeast packets.

.Well I will see how it tastes. I will bottle it next Monday

Maybe I am on to something :-D

I did order 3 new LBKs since they were only $10.

I will be more careful now in sanitization. Not that I think I was sloppy.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:16 PM, MRB Josh R said:

Yes, that is definitely an infection. Mine wasn't as pronounced as this, and am pretty sure it was a lacto infection. This looks like a wild yeast (Brettanomyces or wild Sacchromyces) pellicle, but lactobacillus and/or acetobacter could be in there, too. What does it smell/taste like?

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Pellicle <--- Great website, by the way.

Well after some months I opened  another bottle today. - a veritable carbonation volcano!

The taste is more rounded in and there is some fruitiness to it also.

But I had read that Brett keeps on over time fermenting otherwise unfermentable (by yeast) sugars and the carbonation can really increase.

Seems that is what has happened.

I have to check the other bottles to see how hard they are and if I have any glass ones - more dangerous.

13 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Well after some months I opened  another bottle today. - a veritable carbonation volcano!

The taste is more rounded in and there is some fruitiness to it also.

But I had read that Brett keeps on over time fermenting otherwise unfermentable (by yeast) sugars and the carbonation can really increase.

Seems that is what has happened.

I have to check the other bottles to see how hard they are and if I have any glass ones - more dangerous.

Yeah, that does sound like a brett or pedio infection of some type. Fortunately, with the added fruitiness, it may be one of the "good" bretts. Refrigerating them will stop any further fermentation in the bottles.

7 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Yeah, that does sound like a brett or pedio infection of some type. Fortunately, with the added fruitiness, it may be one of the "good" bretts. Refrigerating them will stop any further fermentation in the bottles.

I has not happened again so maybe I got rid of it. Or I am just sterilizing better.

But this is how it ended up 

BSX with brett20180117_170325.jpg

i think I recall reading that brett is an extremely tenacious yeast that is really hard to kill with sanitizer. if you ever intentionally brew one you are stuck only making bretts in that fermenter. .  .  mashani (if memory serves) has brett c in his air ducts in his house, and has problems with it getting into fermentations... but he likes sours so...

if it is always the same lbk that makes gushers I would scrap it and get a new one. I would also brew in a living area not the basement. .. and use a chiller box to keep goobies from blowing around the lbk via the air ducts.

10 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

i think I recall reading that brett is an extremely tenacious yeast that is really hard to kill with sanitizer. if you ever intentionally brew one you are stuck only making bretts in that fermenter. .  .  mashani (if memory serves) has brett c in his air ducts in his house, and has problems with it getting into fermentations... but he likes sours so...

if it is always the same lbk that makes gushers I would scrap it and get a new one. I would also brew in a living area not the basement. .. and use a chiller box to keep goobies from blowing around the lbk via the air ducts.

That is what I thought too. So I trashed the 2 that had the pellicule and  bought new ones when they had the $10 sale. Have not had it again yet.

20 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

I relieved pressure in the bottles - they were the PET screw cap.  I checked the one 12 oz and the lid does not seem to be pushed up (past high pressure caps has been noticeably bulging up in the middle of the cap.)  Actually that would be a good cap design, allowed to distort to show the carbonation pressure. It might be possible to indicate it fairly well, maybe by a coating on the cap that changes color or shade as it stretches or bends.

On 1/17/2018 at 10:20 PM, zorak1066 said:

Im not an expert, let me just start by saying that.

brett doesn’t scare me. Pedio and lacto do. I think you can clean brett away. 

I thought i had more to say than that... but i dont...

i got a lactobacter infection once in my mr b pumpkin weis.  ack...  i drank it anyway.  really sour.   brett is very difficult to get rid of. if it finds a nook in a crack or scratch in your fermenter, you'll likely have every other batch made in it come out with brett ... at least that's what ive read on forums.  the lacto hit in a glass carboy so i guess i was lucky in that regard.