MiniYoda

Gone fruity

22 posts in this topic

Today was supposed to be a brew day.  Was going to make a blueberry wheat and a cranberry wheat.

Got up at 7am, and cracked open my first beer at 7:30, while prep'ing the gallon jug of wash.  Last night, I ran everything I'd need to brew, including the blender, through the washer machine, sanitizer cycle and all.  I'm ready.  Sat down to read up on Mr. Beer's recipes for fruit beer.  Perhaps the first beer had something in it, but I'm confused like heck.

Their Cherry wheat and Raspberry wheat say to add one can of fruit, puree d, after one week of fermenting.  However, the Blue Patriot (American Ale HME based) and Rapturous Raspberry (Cerveza HME) use TWO cans of fruit, and added the puree on brew day

Yes, Ole Geezer is overthinking things, and has lots of other poop to do today, but I'm confused.  As I open up beer number 2, I'm asking for y'alls opinion.  Do I put one can of fruit for a wheat beer, or two?  AND, do I put the fruit in today, or wait a week?

More research.  Looks like the wheat beers get the one can after a week, other fruit beers get two cans on brew day.  I'm wondering if is because the Weisbeer HME has a light flavor, and would be over-powered by the fruit too early, while other HMEs are heavier in flavor and can use the fruit early enough.

Welcoming advise......hopefully soon (would like to brew today)

Thanks

MY

Fruit beer can be good - it can also be a pain in the process. Some folks say rely on fruit flavoring extract at bottling.

I figure that actual fruit will taste different than extract.

Since the first time I did not put fruit in a bag and it got stuck in the spigot while bottling, which was REAL annoying, I have only used citrus and put the fruit in a bag.

As to timing of fruit, I can only guess. Maybe Mr. Beer Josh or other expert has an answer.

I did an Internet look, searching on  "fruit beer when to add fruit in the process"

That returned a host of good links. But is seems there is no one way to do it. People have  a lot of different answers and they all work in some way. So I guess maybe experiment - 2 identical batches and add fruit differently. Then see the result.

http://www.brewwiki.com/index.php/Fruit

MiniYoda likes this

no, it won't be extract.  I'm using Oregon Blueberry and Ocean Spray Cranberry for the fruit.  Just wondering if one can or two, and when to add.

I did a raspberry beer last year, and yep....the seeds clogged up the spigot.  But these two fruits don't have tiny seeds like raspberries or strawberries have.  If I ever use those fruits again, I'll filter while adding the fruit.

You are overthinking things, but here's some facts:

- The sooner in the process you add the fruit, the less fruit aroma you will have.  

- Not every recipe gets revamped when Mr. Beer (Josh) comes up with a better process.

- Some fruits have very vibrant tastes and aromas (raspberries, cherries) while some are quite bland (blueberries).  That's why they have you add two cans of blueberries.

- When you add the fruit, you're adding SUGAR and you will kick off another round of fermentation.

- It's really hard to "overpower" a beer with fruit since all the flavor is in the sugar.  

- If you puree the fruit in a blender, you should have no clogging of anything.  Remember to tilt the fermenter to keep the spigot clear, and cold crash.

I would add the fruit after 1 week.

MRB Tim, Nickfixit and MiniYoda like this

Find a recipe with fruit that doesn't have you puree it...  How do you get the sugars out?  Maybe mush it in a cheesecloth bag?

Notice how there are few blackberry beer recipes?  ;)

Nickfixit and Big Sarge like this

Some recommendations are amazing -

e.g.

5-6 lb watermelon per gallon of wort. That is about 1/2 gal of watermelon.

even 3 lb of apricots per gal seems excessive.

But then, I have not tried it.

@RickBeer, overthinking things?  yea, well, I'm morning drinking too, so overthinking things is implied

I'm doing a can of Oregon blueberry and a can of Ocean Spray cranberry, so there won't be seeds.  But your advise on aroma and bland are effectively to the point.  Cranberries are tart by nature, but Ocean Spray added extra sugar to sweeten the flavor.

I'm leaning with your advise.  make the base beer today, then add two cans of each in a week 

kedogn likes this

4 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Find a recipe with fruit that doesn't have you puree it...  How do you get the sugars out?  Maybe mush it in a cheesecloth bag?

Notice how there are few blackberry beer recipes?  ;)

I would agree. Use a rolling pin on it - or maybe freezing would break up the fruit enough, especially in home freezer, so store flash freezing is too fast. I would think (not verified) that letting frozen store fruit thaw then refreezing would make it go mushy enough to get juice out.

@Nickfixit, I do agree with breaking up the fruit, if it was fresh whole fruit.  However, this is canned fruit.  I'm doing canned blueberries for convenience, and can't find cranberries anywhere within a 50 mile radius

3 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

@RickBeer, overthinking things?  yea, well, I'm morning drinking too, so overthinking things is implied

I'm doing a can of Oregon blueberry and a can of Ocean Spray cranberry, so there won't be seeds.  But your advise on aroma and bland are effectively to the point.  Cranberries are tart by nature, but Ocean Spray added extra sugar to sweeten the flavor.

I'm leaning with your advise.  make the base beer today, then add two cans of each in a week 

I think you will find there are seeds in the canned fruit too. Tiny ones. I agree with the later adds for more less aroma loss by the fermentation of gassing it.

Now you have got me thinking fruit. Maybe an apricot beer. based on this idea.

I was planning to brew "Naughty Cream Ale" based on CAL, but I could convert the CAL into an Apricot beer just as well.

Both Mr Beer Apricot recipes use a can of apricots but also use toasted cardamom seeds. I have not experienced those on beer.
The CAL contributes 11 IBU and  say 3.5 % ABV, so I would up the IBU with Cascade hop in a short boil and maybe a steep of 2 row (4 oz) and crystal 60 (2 oz) then add the pureed fruit in a bag after a week. I will need to allow for the sugar in the can and also then add more pale malt DME I think.

I also have some dried apricots which are pretty tasty but I am not sure if they are good for this e.g sterile  or if I should soak/boil them.. Maybe store processed is safer.

Apricot Blonde

AVAILABILITY

12 oz. Cans & Draft Year-Round

HOPS

Cascade

IBU

ALC.

5.1% ALC/VOL

FRUIT

Apricot, 

GRAINS

2 Row, Crystal 50-60L

OTHER INGREDIENTS

,  Apricot Puree

dag nabbit.  now I got another person gone fruity.

Apricot is always a great fruit flavor.  Before I venture into it, or other fresh fruits, I'd have to research more sanitizing the fruit.  I know about using vodka/grain alcohol, and for pumpkin puree you can bake it, but I'm going to do some offline research on it first.

MiniYoda.....overthinking......and drinking

14 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

dag nabbit.  now I got another person gone fruity.

Apricot is always a great fruit flavor.  Before I venture into it, or other fresh fruits, I'd have to research more sanitizing the fruit.  I know about using vodka/grain alcohol, and for pumpkin puree you can bake it, but I'm going to do some offline research on it first.

MiniYoda.....overthinking......and drinking

I will use the canned in heavy syrup. The recipe works out this way

CAL HME (11 IBU), (4 oz 2 row, 2 oz C-60) 30 min  steeped, 6 oz Light DME,  1 can apricots in heavy syrup (includes sugar 2.8 oz), 0.5 oz Cascade boiled 5 min (add 7 IBU).

Using Brewer's Friend recipe builder I get 1.050 OG , 1.011 FG,  ABV 5.01%, IBUs total 11+7 = 18,

MiniYoda likes this

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:34 AM, Nickfixit said:

I will use the canned in heavy syrup. The recipe works out this way

CAL HME (11 IBU), (4 oz 2 row, 2 oz C-60) 30 min  steeped, 6 oz Light DME,  1 can apricots in heavy syrup (includes sugar 2.8 oz), 0.5 oz Cascade boiled 5 min (add 7 IBU).

Using Brewer's Friend recipe builder I get 1.050 OG , 1.011 FG,  ABV 5.01%, IBUs total 11+7 = 18,

Ha, Canned apricots are not in stores right now so I will use dried I guess.

Is  0.5 lb too much dried fruit for 2 gal?

And I will have to add some more  fermentable I guess

- Oh maybe not, it seems one gets 6 oz sugars per lb for dried apricot fruit. So it is close enough

This is going to be a fruity brew batch

1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

Ha, Canned apricots are not in stores right now so I will use dried I guess.

Is  0.5 lb too much dried fruit for 2 gal?

And I will have to add some more  fermentable I guess

- Oh maybe not, it seems one gets 6 oz sugars per lb for dried apricot fruit. So it is close enough

This is going to be a fruity brew batch

Hum.

Maybe I will use Belle Saison yeast in this one.

2 hours ago, BrianBrew said:

I always add two cans of fruit one week into fermentation no matter what the directions say.

And is it fruity?

Have you tried dried fruit?

On 10/9/2017 at 7:40 PM, Nickfixit said:

And is it fruity?

Have you tried dried fruit?

Not too fruity for my taste buds. Sometimes its hard to obtain fruit flavor in your beer from fruit which is why some people use extracts. I've never used dry fruit but I have used strawberries soaked in vodka.

I did get reasonable but light fruit from a can of a) mangoes and b )  mandarin oranges in wheat beer. But neither made a fruit bomb. It was fairly subtle.

Citrus peels are a different deal though. you can really blow your taste buds up with them especially the bitter orange peel in Belg Wits.

BrianBrew likes this

14 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

I did get reasonable but light fruit from a can of a) mangoes and b )  mandarin oranges in wheat beer. But neither made a fruit bomb. It was fairly subtle.

Citrus peels are a different deal though. you can really blow your taste buds up with them especially the bitter orange peel in Belg Wits.

And especially if you use FRESH bitter orange peel rather than dried, although dried is pretty strong too.