Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
76shovel

OT: Any distilling thoughts?

4 posts in this topic

I have an old friend that has dabbled with clear for years, He is actually pretty good at it.  I  have had a jar from him stashed on the shelf for 10 months, he says it tests at 130 proof. I am on a self imposed break from hard liquor (maybe not fully self imposed, my doctor is rather insistent) but wondering if I added toasted oak chips to the jar if I'd get any of the affects of aging in a barrel?

Mods, if this is considered out of line please delete.

Thanks

Mark

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think to get the effects of barrel-aging, you'd need a lot of chips in there for a long, long time.  By law, bourbon has to be aged for a minimum of two years in charred barrels.  Canadian whiskey ages for a minimum of three.

Having said that, if you're going to have it sitting around for a while, why not go for it?  If nothing else it'll serve as an experiment. 

kedogn and 76shovel like this

Just a note on that 130 proof - most home "moonshine" and similar are way below the guesstimated proof claimed. However, if your friend does have the proper distilling and ageing equipment, they may indeed, produce something good. 

76shovel likes this

2 hours ago, Brian N. said:

Just a note on that 130 proof - most home "moonshine" and similar are way below the guesstimated proof claimed. However, if your friend does have the proper distilling and ageing equipment, they may indeed, produce something good. 

He has studied this for a decade. He has where-withal and the toys. I've sampled my share so I don't doubt him, but even the 80-100 proof is guaranteed heartburn for me unless he blends it down with flavorings or water.   Now the flavored stuff he comes up with is all fun and games.

I just have this solitary jar left and I'm not a fan of straight shine so I going to experiment with it.  I wanted to do something different than adding fruit. Would the wood chips break down over time?