Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BradsBeer

Stick On Thermometer questions

7 posts in this topic

The Mr. Beer stick on thermometer, does it measure wort temperature?  Just on the outside diameter of the wort, not the center?  Or does it truly measure temps on the outside of the Little Brown Keg, which would be cooler than the warm wort inside? 

Just trying to figure out how to set my temp controller, which has an external sensor taped to the top of the LBK lid, with a folded paper towel on top of the sensor to theoretically make it not as impacted by ambient air temp.

It's really more of a guide and not for accuracy since it will be slightly warmer inside the keg, but by only a few degrees at most. Accuracy isn't as important as consistency. An external sensor on top of the lid won't be as accurate as if it were on the side under the liquid level. But again, we're not looking for accuracy. As long as your ambient temperature around the fermenter is within your range, it will be fine (most breweries are at 68 F).

RickBeer likes this

Thanks for the reply Josh!  My aforementioned temp controller kicks on the fridge at 67.5*F and turns it off at 65.5*F, at which point the temp floats down to 64.0.  where it bottoms out then gradually warms back up.  These temps are using the digital readout from the temp controller.

The stick on thermometer, which is installed below the wort line, reads:

At 67.5..... 68 is Yellow and 64 is Blue

At 64.0..... it reads the same as above.

If I understand that thermometer correctly, when it reads Green, that is the correct temp.  Which could lead me to assume my beer is at 66*F + the slightly warmer in the keg amount.  Would this be correct?   If so should I leave the temp controller as is?  I'm brewing a Nilla Porter now, put it in the LBK at 9:30pm yesterday.  Right now it has lots of foam on top.   And will start on a Chocolate and Orange Stout soon.   I don't know if I should drop the temps a few degrees right now, while its at High Krausen?  Just in case?  Then switch back to this setup?  

My logic behind the temp controller thermometer location is, hot air rises so put it on top + the center of the wort should be the warmest since its furthest away from refrigerated air.   But I have been known to miss the boat before :(  And hear what you're saying.

Reason I'm asking is I read on another thread here that 'if you set your temp controller to 61*F ambient you'll be fine' and my beer then came out sweet.  Likely unfermented sugars? 

Thanks again!

-Brad

Must depend on yeast. Not all ale yeasts will be equally happy at 61 deg.  as 70 deg. I would guess. Also indicates benefit of measuring FG to ensure it is done.

61 deg F ambient temperature is on the low side, even for beer very actively fermenting. Keep in mind that the 2 gallon keg from MB will not retain heat as well as a 5 gallon pail. I aim for 64 degrees Fahrenheit, ambient air temperature. Seems to work well for me, whether I'm using the MB yeast, US-05, US-04 which are my most frequently used yeasts.

MRB Josh R likes this

61 is too low for your ambient temp. Like I said, most breweries stay at 68. Yes, hot air rises, but not before it exchanges through the ambient temperature. It will dissipate into the surrounding environment before it even hits the lid because it's such a minimal amount of heat. The center may be warmer, but only by perhaps .01 degrees. It's so minimal that it doesn't really matter, especially when accuracy isn't as important as consistency. 

All you need to do is set your temp controller and forget it. There is no need to change the temperature at any time during your fermentation.