Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doc280

Basic Chocolate Coffee Stout

7 posts in this topic

I am very new to the homebrew scene and I have only been brewing Mr. Beer extracts, just as they come. I am keeping things simple so I can just enjoy the homebrew experience, but I need a brew for the Holidays and the wife wants chocolate and coffee.

So this is what I have come up with:

Mr. Beer St. Patrick's Irish Stout

4oz Ghirardelli 100% unsweetened cocoa ( Added at boil )

1 tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract ( added at flame out )

Cold brew coffee concentrate ( added at bottling ) [ not sure how much at this time, will update ]

At bottling I think I will keep five bottles just a chocolate stout and the other five a chocolate coffee stout, by added the coffee concentrate

The LBK is in the brew closet and it smells like chocolate love in there.

I will update with the results

IMG_20171012_143059-1024x768.jpg

hotrod3539, Shrike, moots and 1 other like this

Three weeks in and the sample taste like a good rich beer. It has a slight almost like a cherry taste, then bitter and very mellow after taste. I am not picking up the chocolate or vanilla.

I believe I may have been pitching the yeast while the wort has been to warm which may be causing the cherry (fruit) taste. Don't get me wrong the taste is good, but I noticed it in a few of my brews. I have since started using an ice bath to cool the wort down. 

Anyway the batch is cold crashing and will be bottled Sunday.

hotrod3539 likes this

I bottled this batch yesterday. Five bottles are Chocolate Stouts and I added ice brewed coffee concentrate ( 1tbsp ) to the other five bottles, Chocolate Coffee Stout.

The trub looked just like chocolate pudding, but I refrained myself from eating it.

Shrike and TonyKZ1 like this

On 11/2/2017 at 6:35 AM, doc280 said:

I believe I may have been pitching the yeast while the wort has been to warm which may be causing the cherry (fruit) taste. Don't get me wrong the taste is good, but I noticed it in a few of my brews. I have since started using an ice bath to cool the wort down. 

I don't think you need an ice bath but couldn't hurt.  I refrigerate two gallons of spring water.  One gets poured into the LBK before the wort, the other afterwards.  Then pitch yeast; at that point the wort is around 62*F.  Have two batches going now with that method and 'foamy vigorous fermentation' is an understatement.   Your stout sounds good.

1 hour ago, BradsBeer said:

I don't think you need an ice bath but couldn't hurt.  I refrigerate two gallons of spring water.  One gets poured into the LBK before the wort, the other afterwards.  Then pitch yeast; at that point the wort is around 62*F.  Have two batches going now with that method and 'foamy vigorous fermentation' is an understatement.   Your stout sounds good.

I have been using the filtered water from my refrigerator but I believe only the first gallon, maybe less is cooled and the LBK has been warm. Anyway yesterday I brewed my last can of Church Hill and put the pot of wort in sink for its ice bath. Easy to do and cooled down quickly and in seven weeks I will try to taste a difference.

I hope the stouts turn out good, still choking down some American Larger which I don't really care for.

I made a chocolate coffee stout using the Sunday Morning Coming Down recipe and added Dutch process cocoa like theOle Mole Stout. Also added the brown sugar called out for Ole Mole Stout. I bottled it four weeks ago and tasted it at that time. Very rich tasting with coffee, chocolate. I'm going to let it condition for at least eight weeks. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Shrike and Bonsai & Brew like this

Mine is a Perle-bittered, mostly-grain recipe with Patagonia Extra Pale Malt and Robust LME, with a cold-steep of coffee malt, chocolate malt and freshly ground Medium Roast Peruvian coffee.  I also added Equadorian Cocoa nibs along with EKG hops for the last 5 min. of the boil.  Safale S-04 should do nicely on this South American themed session stout.:)

OG was 1.044.

Shrike likes this