Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
epete28

Final Gravity Question

I just pulled a sample of my Australian Sparkling Ale, which is 16 days in. I normally wouldn't sample so soon, I just lost track of time a little. Anyway, the number isn't where it should be. My question is, how much is it likely to drop in 5 days, this late in the process? I'm hoping it's not stuck, I've been there and done that.

How far is the gravity off and how does it taste?

English yeast can be susceptible to a drop in temperature causing it to flocculate early.  If it is too far off the S-04 is very hard if not impossible to get to restart.  You may want to pitch some S-05 just to finish it.  Since S-05 is a neutral yeast it shouldn't affect the flavors that the S-04 would have imparted.

26 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

How far is the gravity off and how does it taste?

English yeast can be susceptible to a drop in temperature causing it to flocculate early.  If it is too far off the S-04 is very hard if not impossible to get to restart.  You may want to pitch some S-05 just to finish it.  Since S-05 is a neutral yeast it shouldn't affect the flavors that the S-04 would have imparted.

I'm getting about 1.021, and I think it should be 1.014 or so. Coming up about a full percentage point short on ABV. It DOESN'T taste sweet though. 

5 hours ago, RickBeer said:

One option is to gently stir it up and see if it kicks off again (sanitized spoon of course), and make sure you're in the upper 60s.  Adding some S-05 as suggested would work also.

Okay, 1st option is simply to stir, which I've done. Will there be any evidence that it has started again? I certainly don't expect it to krausen all over again, 

2 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

if you added lactose that can make for a higher final gravity.  lactose is an unfermentable sugar.

Nah, I didn't add anything, it's Australian Sparkling Ale, straight up.

18 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Give it 24 hours.  You should see signs that it's kicked back in.  In 48 hours, check the gravity again.

It's not showing any signs that it's doing anything. The beer is "supposed" to be 6.5% abv, but its around 5.8%. I'm wondering if its not just done. I didn't spill any wort though when I brewed, and I got all the extract out of that can as I could.

The only way to know is to check the gravity.  After 24 hours from the last check, if it wasn't done, it should now be a bit lower. If it isn't, then you may have to pitch new yeast.  If it it is lower, then let it go another few days and check it again.

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

The only way to know is to check the gravity.  After 24 hours from the last check, if it wasn't done, it should now be a bit lower. If it isn't, then you may have to pitch new yeast.  If it it is lower, then let it go another few days and check it again.

I think it may be getting cranked up again. I see tiny bubbles on the surface. Before there was just a bunch of solids in suspension. Those seem to have dropped out too.

I have had issues with several of the seasonals. Before I measured gravity, I bottled them at 3 weeks and often got gushers.

2 of the last 3 seasonals I made, I had to leave beyond 3 weeks and warm and rouse them to get the gravity down. But it did.

I made a doctored up Winter Dark ale, that finished up at ~1.020 down from ~  1.072

What I also try usually is to run the numbers through the beer calculators to see what to expect.

It is interesting how they show yeast making a big difference too.

Try just putting in the calculator  3.75 lbs of LME  in 2 gal  volume, and use US-05 or S-04 yeasts. It shows a difference of about 0.5% ABV and about 0.004 on the FG.

Some yeasts give as low as 6% and probably very malty fruity beers.

The most recent Dark ale I thought was stuck, - maybe was a bit, but I backtracked the calculations and  I have to figure maybe I got the OG wrong based on the recipe calculation for what I put in it. The FG has not changed over a couple days and it has stopped bubbling mostly. (Yeah, I looked - lol - but  when measuring FG)

If I assume that then by current FG it is done OK. Also I was using Cooper's Ale yeast which  is low attenuation - lower ABV,   higher FG.

Using Coopers yeast would  calculate to finish the 3.75 lbs of LME (using Seasonal size as example)  at 6.2% compared to S04 at 6.5% and S05 almost 7%.

Almost too many things to worry about.:lol:

I just really don't know what to do with this beer. I've let the temperature come up to room temperature and stirred it. I saw new bubbles rising and everything. My gravity has gone down like maybe .0001. It's 20 days in as of now. I'm trying not to pitch more yeast. Like I said earlier, I wonder if it's not just done.

So yeah, I went ahead and cold crashed this batch after stirring it more than one, and letting it raise to 72°F. The gravity pretty much remained the same, 1.020. I decided to bottle it anyway. I got some on my hand when my bottling wand fell off, and it was sticky😨! Anyway, it's in the garage in two ice chests, with cases of water in top to protect against bottle bombs. At this point I don't give a damn what it tastes like, I'll drink it regardless, I just don't want ANY bombs.

This batch has me scratching my head. I've got one bottle bubbling like crazy, and cloudy, like it certainly wasn't finished fermenting, and it's firming up quickly. But most are as soft as when I bottled, and are clear as water. It's all learning though, so it's cool.

2 hours ago, epete28 said:

This batch has me scratching my head. I've got one bottle bubbling like crazy, and cloudy, like it certainly wasn't finished fermenting, and it's firming up quickly. But most are as soft as when I bottled, and are clear as water. It's all learning though, so it's cool.

Did you happen to mark the trub (last) bottle?  I've had the same thing happen on many batches.

This batch finally started to carb up nicely. I had to put them in the garage, which is between 75 and 82 degrees. So far they seem normal, as in none of them have gotten extra hard, but I'm watching them closely. There is one that's pretty firm, as in I can't get it to flex much with a squeeze test. If any get to where they won't flex at all, I may crack the lids a little to vent some of the gas. I'll feel better when the bubble activity stops, although I know that doesn't mean the yeast is done.