MiniYoda

Kombucha

14 posts in this topic

When I first got this email, my reaction was similar to the current TV commercial from Taco Bell when people see the fried egg taco and say "What The......."

Then I went to the link, https://www.mrbeer.com/kombucha-making-kit and then to Wikipedia's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha .  I then supplied the above quote with several different words in four different language, most of which would get me banned from this forum.

Could the folks at Mr. B's fill in a bit more info on their page, such as........alcohol content?

MiniYoda.

hotrod3539 likes this

from Wikipedia,

The alcohol content of the kombucha is usually less than 1%, but increases with fermentation time. Over-fermentation generates high amounts of acids similar to vinegar.

What the..........................

hotrod3539 likes this

I haven't been able to find anything that suggests that kombucha has enough alcohol to have a mind-altering effect, so we didn't really think to address it. Same deal as the root beer kits, the fermentation that gets you carbonation produces a small amount of alcohol, but it's so small as to be considered pretty much insignificant. 

MiniYoda and hotrod3539 like this

14 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

Over-fermentation generates high amounts of acids similar to vinegar.

What the..........................

I mean, that's kind of the whole point of the exercise. If you've never tried it, I'd suggest grabbing a bottle, it's pretty easy to find these days. It's just a sour fermented tea, sometimes more tart and sometimes less, sometimes carbonated and sometimes still, and very good spiced or with fruit. 

hotrod3539, MiniYoda and efdbrian like this

Don't get me wrong.  Even though where I life, the folks here are nothing but meat & 'taters, I'm always into something different.  I've had Angulas in Spain, Haggis in Scotland, and Vegemite (although I've never been to Australia).  I'm always willing to try something different, and am known at the office for being the first to go to a restaurant before anyone else would take a chance.  Still, I never heard of Kombucha before, and am getting more and more curious.  I'll have to make a visit to the local Kroger to check this stuff out.

2 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

Volume-wise, how much does the kit make?  Ounces, pints, liters, gallons........

1 gallon/3.78541 liters/8 pints/128 oz

MiniYoda likes this

As you put a bottle of kombucha to your lips, you’re a little overwhelmed with the vinegar smell. Immediately you dont think youre gonna like it. Then you take a little sip and think “that wasn’t so bad”. Its really bubbly like soda and its quite refreshing. 

hotrod3539 likes this

6 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Sour

Tea

'Nuff said.

It's not always sour, just like not all beer tastes like Budweiser. It can also be very sweet and/or fruity. It all depends on how long you brew it, the type of tea used, how much sugar is added, and whether or not fruit or spices are added. Typically, the longer it is brewed, the more vinegary it gets. Shorter brew times will yield a sweeter tea with minimal to no sourness. I personally prefer mine more vinegary, but I've had some really good fruited ones that tasted like candy. Asian Pear Kombucha from Wonder Drink is amazing and has no sour flavor whatsoever.

MRB Tim and kedogn like this

I will also add that you control the flavor. If you want it more tangy you let it ferment longer. If you want it sweeter, then you dont. 

If it gets away from you and it gets too tangy, you can always brew some more tea to tone it down. 

Its very forgiving. Itll ferment in a normal room temp but will go faster at warmer temps. 

Kombucha brew day takes maybe 30-45 min, bottling is as easy as dumping the liquid into bottles via a funnel. Takes 10 minutes but youll want to immediately get another batch in there. 

MRB Josh R likes this