Scottyb in Wi

Carbonation drops or sugar

14 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

I got some Diablo brewing and I am about to bottle it next week after the 3 week wait. I was wondering what people thought about carbonation drops vs sugar? Please let me know 

Thanks

Scott

18 minutes ago, Scottyb in Wi said:

Hi everyone

I got some Diablo brewing and I am about to bottle it next week after the 3 week wait. I was wondering what people thought about carbonation drops vs sugar? Please let me know 

Thanks

Scott

Carb drops make things so simple, however you need to know what level of carb you like. Ie. I like 1 drop per 16 oz vs the recommended 12 oz. 

sugar is a pain unless you have that nice scoop measuring thingy. 

Batch priming is best, all in due time. For that id use corn sugar. 

Remember to add the sugar before the beer. 

RickBeer likes this

11 hours ago, Shrike said:

Same here.  One cube in a 12oz bottle, two in a 16-17 oz bottle.  Couldn't be easier.

173_4920004040?maxSideSize=258

All 24 oz 740ml bottles here, using 4 Dots ea.

55 minutes ago, 76shovel said:

All 24 oz 740ml bottles here, using 4 Dots ea.

I used 4 dots in a dark ale and it was a bit much carbonation. Not a big deal, I am just burping the bottles a little bit. I have an Oktoberfest which I used three dots, but will not have the results for a few more weeks. I am considering using a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon and funnel, so I can dial in table sugar close to The Screwy Brewer's bottle priming calculator recommendations.

I use sugar, 1 teaspoon per 16 oz bottle. I have a small stainless steel funnel I use to get it in the bottles.

I like the domino dots.. 2g sucrose per cube. use a priming sugar calculator set to bottle size.. ta da. easy peezy. if you are .025 g off? who cares one way or the other.  I shoot for close enough on the carb level. better slightly under than over.

Shrike and Brian N. like this

12 hours ago, doc280 said:

I used 4 dots in a dark ale and it was a bit much carbonation. Not a big deal, I am just burping the bottles a little bit. I have an Oktoberfest which I used three dots, but will not have the results for a few more weeks. I am considering using a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon and funnel, so I can dial in table sugar close to The Screwy Brewer's bottle priming calculator recommendations.

I've been debating on dropping to 3 dots (=1.5tsp) per 740ml but I was concerned that might be too low. It will be interesting to read your results.

5 minutes ago, 76shovel said:

I've been debating on dropping to 3 dots (=1.5tsp) per 740ml but I was concerned that might be too low. It will be interesting to read your results.

Yea if I use Screwy's calculator I get 1.09 tsp. for a desired co2 level of 2.5 in 740 ml.  bottle.

So I should be slightly over by using 1.5 tsp (3 dots). I will post results.

I have an American Lager which I carbed with carb drops, but it never really carb up well and it is not pleasant to drink like this. But if I mix it with the over carbonated dark ale.....bingo.

Shrike likes this

1 hour ago, doc280 said:

Yea if I use Screwy's calculator I get 1.09 tsp. for a desired co2 level of 2.5 in 740 ml.  bottle.

So I should be slightly over by using 1.5 tsp (3 dots). I will post results.

I have an American Lager which I carbed with carb drops, but it never really carb up well and it is not pleasant to drink like this. But if I mix it with the over carbonated dark ale.....bingo.

I just received a Lock Stock and Barrel Stout kit.  Kinda expensive to play with so I may wait until I do something with the American Ale extract on the shelf to see about lowering the sugar level.

I use the sugar scoop tool from M.B. Easy to use, gets close enough.  As for the amount of sugar. I use the Screwey Brewer calculator. 

TonyKZ1 likes this

I have some older API-IPA  where I went to 5 dots per 24 oz (740ml) bottle.  I was experimenting and had the mindset that more must be better when I was starting out. Talk about fizzy.  Most times I get a nice full glass of head on the initial pour.  I let each bottle breathe and give each glass a time out on the counter before I drink it.

But dump it? Hell no :D.

Shrike likes this