Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
76shovel

oak chips

I don't know if this is the right page for this question but...

When it comes to the addition of oak chips and whiskey to a batch is it advisable to hop sack the chips?   Looking at the Lock, Stock, and Barrel Stout and it says just to add the chips and whiskey (in my case, Bulleit) to the brew @ 2 weeks. 

For ease of clean up on bottling day I am thinking I could hop sack the chips and let it soak that way, but this is a fairly expensive beer to make and I don't want to screw something up.

thanks

Mark

When I did mine I just added them straight to the LBK, no hop sack.  I didn't have any issues at bottling, but I also made sure there weren't any tiny slivers or itty-bitty chunks of wood with the chips that could cause a clog.

As a side note, your patience will be rewarded with this one.  I had one at five months, at six months, and at seven months and they were very good.  I had one last week after just over a year of conditioning and it was friggin' fantastic.

Thanks, I have been a bourbon drinker for years but backed way off just to make sure I am still driving this bus. If I like this recipe I am thinking  of starting LS+B at 3-4 month intervals, could make a great gift too. 

you have to be careful not to use too much or your beer might get overwhelmed by tannins(?) from the wood. . . which will need longer aging.

I used wood cubes (French oak I think). I put them in a small hop sack and soaked for a week in rock and rye. bourbon works. vodka works. etc..   then dump the whole lot in when ready. the liquor volume is small enough not to kill your yeast and sanitizes everything.  you get a very small increase in abv.. not worth counting.  I like rock and rye oaked cubes in imperial stouts. the sugar in the rock and rye mixed with the smoky wood adds a nice touch.

when done I take the cubes, rinse, dry in microwave or stove.. then put in a jar for the next time until i'm no longer happy with the result.

Coming up on 3 weeks in the fermenter for the LS&B now, headed for the cold crash. The oak and bourbon have been in there for 5-6 days,  I grabbed a sip, there is definitely a strong presence of wood at this point, maybe a shade too much.  I do not have a hydrometer but there is clearly a hearty alcohol kick.